• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Audio Publisher] Pure Obsessions

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
These people just followed me on twitter.

http://www.pureobsessions.com/

They're very new and seeking more content since what's already up looks to be from one or two people. Not all 'books' are credited on the site as to who wrote them though some do have credits in the audio sample while others don't. They say they're romance oriented, but listening to some of their samples they don't seem to be geared to female listeners, IMO. The samples didn't seem very romantic but it's admittedly hard to judge from 1 minute of audio.

They're also really pricey since an 11 minute audio 'book' is $1.99 while one that's 20 minutes goes for $3.99.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
The welcome message did not exactly do a lot for me. But as you pointed out, it wasn't exactly geared to females. So I played it for my husband. It didn't do a lot for him, either.

But honestly, that's a matter of taste and not a pro or con regarding the company.

So I'll talk about what I know. Why yes, I DO have a background in radio and audio production. Good equipment is expensive. You can get deals on used stuff, but we're not talking Radio Shack microphones. Computers have brought the cost down, but you still need good gear to produce decent audio books. You also need good voice talent, and that doesn't come cheap.

My point is that this may be a lot like any other small publisher in that prices could be higher because sales are lower. That's not a positive or negative on the company, just a fact.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would not assume higher prices means someone has calculated an optimal price point. This is a new publisher and they may just be unrealistic in their pricing.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dog Ear Audio produces audio books, and by all reports they have an excellent studio and produce a professional product. Their novel-length books, running 6 - 7 hours of audio, cost around $25. And they're doing books that fall into a very small niche market (lesbian fiction).

Pure Obsessions sounds grossly overpriced by comparison.

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
Dog Ear Audio produces audio books, and by all reports they have an excellent studio and produce a professional product. Their novel-length books, running 6 - 7 hours of audio, cost around $25. And they're doing books that fall into a very small niche market (lesbian fiction).

Pure Obsessions sounds grossly overpriced by comparison.

Yeah, seriously, I thought so too.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site's gone. Last Tweet (in Aug '11) mentions site problems, but as it was 'bot-blocked from Wayback, don't know whether it recovered or for how long.

ETA: Shows up on WB, now. Survived until mid'-13.

Last edited: