• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Abbott Press

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Ugh. Writers Digest is partnering with Author Solutions to establish what appears to be a vanity press similar to DellArte and West Bow. This was reported in the Publishers Lunch today.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I'm disappointed, but not horribly surprised by this. I stopped subscribing to Writer's Digest when the ads for vanity publishing overwhelmed the useful content.

The Abbot Press website and the whole Writer's Digest Mark of Quality thing turns my stomach, though. Ugh is right.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Totally not surprised. I don't know anyone who still takes Writers Digest seriously.

I do, but he's someone on my Yahoo group who followed WD's recommendation on a vanity press and proceeded to deluge my group with all the same vanity pub lines of crap we all know and hate so well. Sigh.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Why does the name Thomas Nelson sound so familiar?

Maybe because there was a fuss a while back when this Christian press wanted their authors to be people who believed in a Christian creed, whereas a lot of their authors were actually non-believers who got a bit miffed.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Why does the name Thomas Nelson sound so familiar?

Maybe because there was a fuss a while back when this Christian press wanted their authors to be people who believed in a Christian creed, whereas a lot of their authors were actually non-believers who got a bit miffed.

More likely, it's because of Thomas Nelson's opening of its own vanity press, West Bow, also (IIRC) associated with Author Solutions.

cryaegm

Snakecakes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
enigmainklings.blogspot.com
More likely, it's because of Thomas Nelson's opening of its own vanity press, West Bow, also (IIRC) associated with Author Solutions.
That's where I heard the name before. And WD still supports him after a scuffle that happened (I can't remember what; I just remember reading it somewhere about it). Every time I read the name Thomas Nelson, my gut tells me to keep away or be cautious.

Kinda sad since WD's Phil Sexton mentioned him in the comment he made...

Am I wrong to be cautious of Thomas Nelson?

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
Phil Sexton wrote on my blog:
A few weeks before we went live I contacted some other prominent bloggers and industry watch dogs (including (sic)Author Beware, etc - he later clarified that he meant Writer Beware), asking them to help us tweak the details as best we could so that we’re not overpromising things and making it very clear what writers get for their money.

In some cases, we’re still awaiting feedback. In others, we’re hoping to have some face to face meetings. I suspect we’ll be adjusting the details for some time to come.
I’d like to point out the disingenuous nature of this comment because Phil's delicate wording gives the impression that Victoria endorsed his publishing choices. Phil knows the truth, and I’m especially saddened that he’d stoop to weasel wording to make his enterprise appear to have full approval from respected industry watchdogs.

This is the kind of thing Publish America pulls. Above all, I truly detest lying, and this statement was deliberately misleading. Shame on you, Phil.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Phil Sexton wrote on my blog:
I’d like to point out the disingenuous nature of this comment because Phil's delicate wording gives the impression that Victoria endorsed his publishing choices. Phil knows the truth, and I’m especially saddened that he’d stoop to weasel wording to make his enterprise appear to have full approval from respected industry watchdogs.

This is the kind of thing Publish America pulls. Above all, I truly detest lying, and this statement was deliberately misleading. Shame on you, Phil.

Victoria mentions Abbott press here.

KatieT

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shelfishlyaddicted.com
I found this thread by searching for Abbott Press, after seeing this link on Twitter: http://www.abbottpress.com/TwitterContest.aspx

They're asking for Tweet Pitches for a writing contest.

I assume I should stay far away.

I was going to get a subscription to Writer's Digest, as I've wanted one for years. What other magazine/publication would you recommend?

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
I just got this email:

"Start the next chapter in your writing career. (this was also title of the email)
Publish your book with Abbott Press, a division of Writer's Digest.
To advance your writing career, you must continually hone your talent and build your body of published work. Through webinars, blogs, conferences and more, Writer's Digest has long been a trusted resource for author education. And now, Abbott Press, a division of Writer's Digest, puts the power to publish a book in your hands.

WATCH THE VIDEO: Click to learn how Abbott Press gives you new opportunities through Writer's Digest.
As with everything Writer's Digest does, Abbott Press emphasizes editorial excellence and author education through publishing. So, in addition to providing the necessary tools and support to help get your book out into the market, select Abbott Press publishing packages also include:

• the Writer's Digest newsletter
  • instructional webinars
  • manuscript evaluations
  • conference discounts
  • book-marketing services
  • and MORE
Whether you are a first-time author or a seasoned professional, Abbott Press, together with Writer's Digest, can help you sharpen your skills, advance your career and publish your book.
Request your complimentary Publishing Consultation today.

This is sad.

I've only been writing seriously for about 2 years and had been a Writer's Digest fan up til a few months ago (even after grabbing a little cash from a writing contest of theirs) mostly because of those stupid webinars they advertise at least once a week. - They seem neat, a few hour (I'm guessing) online "class" taught by some industry professionals (some decent agents have been on it so no insult to the quality of the webinars themselves) for like 400$ a piece. Ugh.

Continuously that's all I'd hear about. "Take this webinar". Though sometimes (more and more it seems) they'd be sneaky and send me an email with a head line "Find out how to...." with a link to a 400$ webinar.

Their last issue I actually enjoyed, there were a few good and very interesting articles in it, including one about Sarah Dessen. But a new vanity press? Really? Definitely agree that this lost a lot of respect. It seems to me that this will only hurt them in the long run.

Last edited:

Curfew Gull

Feeding my Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Abbott Press publication as reward in contest

Got this in the mail today. Was actually thinking of doing it (since I started out as an unpublished novelist, and now have several unproduced scripts). Then I looked up what the prize actually was being published by ? (they don't really tell you). Glad I found this thread - saved me 100 smackeroos (dollars).

Extended Deadline: October 31, 2012

View this email with images »
Writers Store is the Premier Resource
For Writing and Filmmaking Tools
Software | Books | DVDs & Audio | Courses | Expert Advice | Services
Screenplay Replay
Where Your Winning Script Gets
a Publishing Deal
LEARN MORE

Wondering what to do with that spec script? You could be steps away from being a best-selling author! Enter it in the Screenplay Replay Contest, and you could work with a successful ghostwriter to adapt your screenplay into a novel.

We've extended the deadline for the contest to October 31, 2012. You still have time to dust off those pages and enter them for your chance to win!

This is an amazing opportunity for screenwriters looking to transition into novel writing, or those who want to add this in-demand skill to their writing repertoires. Plus, a published novel is a fresh and exciting way to get your story out there in front of Hollywood buyers and possibly get your film made!

The Screenplay Replay Grand Prize ($25,000 Value) Includes:

Working with a New York Times Best-Selling author to adapt your screenplay into a novel
25 personal copies of the novel
Royalties from the book's sales
See the book in physical and e-book form available through Amazon, Barnes & Noble and other retailers
Four Runner-Up Packages courtesy of Abbott Press

1st Runner-Up: Elite Package + Essential Edition Press Release ($3,500 Value)
2nd Runner-Up: Premium Package ($1,799 Value)
3rd Runner-Up: Essentials Package ($999 Value)
4th Runner-Up: Starter Package ($699 Value)
And our twenty-five finalists won't walk away empty handed. Each one will be awarded:
Storymill Software , a word processing and story development program for fiction writers
Script to Novel OnDemand Webinar with authors Charlotte Cook and Jon Miller, and a copy of their book, Adapting Sideways, on turning your script into a novel
A free edition of Hollywood Screenwriter's Directory and a 1-year subscription to WritersMarket.com
40% off an Abbott Press Publishing Package
Ready for your chance to add "published author" to your resume? Click here for complete contest details and to enter Screenplay Replay now!

The extended deadline is Wednesday, October 31, 2012.

Enter Now

Esper

Screenwriter
Registered
Reaction score
Got a couple voicemails and an e-mai from Jason Stogsdill, described as a Senior Publishing Consultant for Abbott Press in his e-mail sig.

I work a night shift and he always called thirty minutes into my shift, so I could never answer because my manager was always nearby.

Basically, he wanted to talk to me about a screenplay I had written, but was not yet in novel form. He seemed enthusiastic about getting my work "published" as a novel, and when I had a friend listen to the voicemail their initial reaction was: he sure said "publish" a lot.

I let a week pass because I had an irky feeling about all this enthusiasm over a project that wasn't even in manuscript form.

Something in my spidey senses was leading me to believe I was just being talked into a sale and shelling out money to a vanity press for a publishing package.

A week passed and I received an e-mail, which he opened by misspelling my name. That confirmed my desire to pass on this company. If the spelling of my name couldn't be translated from my project's title page to an opening line in an e-mail, it made me wonder if my project had even been read in full.

He was never rude or unpleasant in his exchanges - there was just a noticeable lack of passion and homework.

So I decided I'd wait to work with someone who wasn't attached to an apparent vanity press, who can spell my name, and goes through just as much effort, homework, and research in reviewing my project as I would in looking at their company and drafting them a cover letter.

What can I say? I want a relationship with an agent. Not just a publishing deal.

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
Writers Digest just sent me a spam email for Abbott Press:
Abbott Press has an itinerary to get you to your dream destination: author.

During this season of increased travel and tourism, we can't help but wonder: Where's your book going?

Abbott Press, the self-publishing division of Writer's Digest, has a few destinations in mind:

Major online book retailers through our distribution channels.
In front of the Writer's Digest team for Mark of Quality consideration.
To traditional publisher F+W Media for a manuscript review and potential acquisition. LEARN MORE >>

Plus you'll get the support of our professional publication services to get you there. All that and you don't have to give up an ounce of creative freedom. From manuscript to marketing, from cover to cover, you're in control.

Learn more during a complimentary publishing consultation
and get your publishing package for less for a limited time.

A trip to their site revealed these packages:
Platform Builder, for only $7,999. "This package is designed for authors who are serious about establishing themselves in the competitive book marketplace."
Market Edge, for only $4,799.
Elite, for a measly $2,999.

Sheesh!Even though they're running a special and offering discounts, what they're selling is certainly no bargain. Well, except for them.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The news of DellArte's closure reminded me: although active, Abbott Press is no longer a division of Writer's Digest, as of mid-'14.