• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Hen&Ink Literary Studio (Erzsi Deak)

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Hi all,

I did a search and didn't come up with anything here, so I hope it's ok to start this. Just wondered if anyone knew anything about Erszi Deak and Hen and Ink Literary? http://www.henandink.com/

I'm personally acquainted with Erszi and, as it says on the (current) home page, she has solid ties to the publishing industry. I hadn't realised she's started an agency, but she's 100% legit. If I didn't already have an agent, I might even sub to her myself.

Last edited:

maracalone

Registered
Reaction score
She has quite a wonderful site and blog. Her little q & a sessions with authors are a scream!

litgirl

Registered
Reaction score
She JUST became an agent like, a month ago (although she's been involved in children's books/publishing in other ways for a long time), so I doubt she's garnered any sales yet. First she has to have clients, then she can sell their books. :)

Mia Moore

Brand spanking
Registered
Reaction score
Also received a request from Ms. Deak yesterday. However the ms is no longer available. I exchanged several e-mails with her. She seems perfectly lovely. Best of luck to all with requests.

artemis31386

All around miscreant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleymchristman.com
Here's some info on a recent sale:

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/egmont-acquires-curham.html
Egmont Press has acquired two books by Siobhan Curham: Dear Dylan and Finding Cherokee Brown.
Curham self-published Dear Dylan in March 2010 and it won the Young Minds Award. Egmont will publish Dear Dylan in July and Finding Cherokee Brown in 2012.
Ali Dougal, commissioning editor at Egmont Press, secured world rights (excluding France) in both books from Erzsi Deak at Hen & Ink Literary Studio.

Last edited:

maracalone

Registered
Reaction score
She has my full right now (I sent it out Friday). I like how personable she is in her emails. Even if it's a "no", it was great to have her ask! Looks like Gravity, Rebobinar, and I will be waiting together!! :)

Sandsurfgirl

Registered
Reaction score
I queried her just now and got her auto responder that says she received my email. Her address is in France, so now I'm confused. Did I query wrong? I'm in the U.S.

Sakura-chan

Registered
Reaction score
I queried her just now and got her auto responder that says she received my email. Her address is in France, so now I'm confused. Did I query wrong? I'm in the U.S.

Same for me. I don't know how I missed that, but I guess it doesn't matter since the majority of agencies I'm querying are in a different country anyway.

I've since received a personal response from her and she seems very nice. She said she'll be in touch, so...

Sandsurfgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Same for me. I don't know how I missed that, but I guess it doesn't matter since the majority of agencies I'm querying are in a different country anyway.

I've since received a personal response from her and she seems very nice. She said she'll be in touch, so...

You didn't miss it. It's not on her site. But from posts here I gather she's repping US writers right? She did say she submits all over the place on her site. I guess the address just threw me. Heck I don't care where they live if they sell my book right? Give me an agent in Europe and I have a good excuse for a vacation! LOL

litgirl

Registered
Reaction score
She's American and she's lived in France for a long time. I met her at a SCBWI conference in Munich a few years ago. My impression was that she was very nice and very knowledgeable/professional. She wasn't an agent then, of course, but she seemed very well connected in the children's book world.

Sandsurfgirl

Registered
Reaction score
She's American and she's lived in France for a long time. I met her at a SCBWI conference in Munich a few years ago. My impression was that she was very nice and very knowledgeable/professional. She wasn't an agent then, of course, but she seemed very well connected in the children's book world.

Here's to hoping for a manuscript request then!

maracalone

Registered
Reaction score
Ms. Deak just relaunched her website with new info and the list of her clients!

www.henandink.com (same website as before but updated to look all purty).

She has some heavy hitters on her roster.

Robyn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rgporter.net
I just sub'd to her. I like her site quite a bit. I got the auto response that she is at a conference but that's fine. I can wait. :)

Carrie-Anne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
carrieannebrownian.wordpress.com
I submitted to her last night and also got the auto reply. I don't want to get my hopes up since I've had nine rejections so far (now waiting for a dozen more responses), but I thought it might be a good omen when I saw the line in her auto reply: "Please know that I have responded to all queries through 15 March 2011 and that I'm working my way back to you (if you know the reference to this last line, you might move up in the submissions list faster...)." I wonder if she'll respond to my submission favorably when she sees that it was inspired by another Four Seasons' song, as I'm assuming only a fellow fan would use such a reference in the auto reply.

Sandsurfgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Just got a partial request! Yay! Her new site looks so great. I love her personal touch. Wish me luck!