Content Encoding Error

Deleted member 42

Yep, still getting the crazy coding there, too. On the other laptop, I was trying to log into Rhapsody.com when I got the compression message. I can't play online videos or music on either computer. RealPlayer isn't affected if it's something I'd already downloaded, but my Rhapsody software keeps giving me script errors.

OK.

I'm going to go over and do something arcane to WiS.

On the hour (or about twelve minutes after the time on this post) would you go over there again and spend a minute looking around--and try to post.

There's a test post thread there, if you want a place to, err, test.

Thanks--

Deleted member 42

Also: If anyone else using Firefox is getting this error on the AW Forums--would you either post here, or PM me?

Thanks

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I looked around for a few minutes using Firefox. I only saw one or two minor errors (my avatar had a few lines through it, a tiny bit of coding showed at the top of one page).

Deleted member 42

I looked around for a few minutes using Firefox. I only saw one or two minor errors (my avatar had a few lines through it, a tiny bit of coding showed at the top of one page).

Shoot.

I was hoping it was something server-based, but no.

That error usually has to do with a setting on Apache Web servers (the standard one used all over the Web) that has the server compress stuff (like using zip) on the server, sending it to the user's Browser, and then decompressing in the browser. It's a pretty standard thing.

But I turned that OFF on WiS.

So I'm back to thinking that you have a broken install of Firefox.

Except--you get the same error on your laptop.

So I got nuthin'

I'll keep thinking though.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Stoopid question: have you tried resetting your modem and/or router?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, good. :e2paperba I've lost count how many times I've cussed out my computer, then remembered there's in fact something twixt me and the 'Net that, like, needs new drivers and junk.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Stoopid question: have you tried resetting your modem and/or router?

Not a stoopid question, because no. I haven't.

Off to do that right now.

:hooray:

OMG.

I hesitate to say it's completely fixed, but...so far no errors. Rhapsody is playing fine. NewTwitter is back. I can play Hulu vids.

The only thing not working yet are YouTube videos. That could be related to something I fiddled with last week, though, right?

OMG. Was it really that simple????

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
The funny thing is that back when I had a roommate, the same error on both of our computers was an immediate clue to us that it was a router problem. Too bad I didn't think to haul out the old laptop a week ago. :p

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
:thankyou:

All forms of chocolate graciously accepted.