Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

southbel

Bless Your Heart
Registered
Reaction score
Finally started a blog. Figured it was about time. I have to admit my first post made me cry to write - I usually don't write something so personal but I guess a blog dedicated to writing was the proper place to do that.

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
Auriel, best of luck with your query.

I'm about to have a week off from writing and researching for the first time since I started this project in the autumn. (Up to now, when I couldn't work on the actual manuscript, I've been devouring books on craft and history books for research.) It'll give me a chance to actually read some YA which I haven't for ages, so it'll be good.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
I just checked and I made it into "Query Kombat!" Color me surprised! It's the first real query I've attempted and Mel's been helping me along. My shock comes in that I was confusing "blurbs" with "queries," so I left a lot of it as sorta' "teasing." Apparently a no-no. But there you have it.

I'm in the "Adult Kontestants" under "Like-Minded Individuals."

MEL! Thanks!

southbel

Bless Your Heart
Registered
Reaction score
I just checked and I made it into "Query Kombat!" Color me surprised! It's the first real query I've attempted and Mel's been helping me along. My shock comes in that I was confusing "blurbs" with "queries," so I left a lot of it as sorta' "teasing." Apparently a no-no. But there you have it.

MEL! Thanks!
Congrats!!

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
SOUTHBEL! Thanks and congrats back to you! Your first blog post was very moving. Can't wait to read more.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Hi TMCan and Auriel!

Um, hey guys. *waves* I hadn't posted here before because I always assumed I didn't belong here, being 24, but I've since realized the error of my ways. :)

I just sent out my first query letter today, to an agent who said on Twitter that she was looking for a book just like mine (and was talking to an editor who was looking too!) so I took a chance. I'm kind of terrified! But I've been working on my query almost as long as the book, so hopefully it'll be okay?

Good luck!! Querying is so nerve-wracking. Every time my email notification went off I would leap to check my inbox.

Kansas: Good luck in QK!!

So many exciting things happening!

southbel

Bless Your Heart
Registered
Reaction score
Totally off topic (well, okay let's just call it a random topic). Anyway, I have been inundated on Facebook lately with friends bragging about their children. Seriously, I get it but enough already. There was one yesterday lamenting her inability to take a picture of her kid with all his awards because there were SO many, he couldn't hold them all.

Kill me now.

So, what did I do? I ended up posting this:

"I know facebook is this great brag about your kid place. Here goes - my kid breathed today. WOOHOO! Party on!"

Yep, I'm going to hell.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Auriel!

Yay, Kansas! Will look for your QK entry!

Stiger, my nickname for QK is Broken Jar. I'd love to get any feedback anyone can give on it. (Some of you might've seen an earlier version of the intro in SYW a while back.)

Happy Friday, all!

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
WAMPUS! Congrats to you, too, by the way (what's your "code-name" in the competition? Or is this a keep it quiet so as not to jinx it deal?). And, also...um, I really don't know what the winner gets (not that I expect to win). Bragging rights?

AURIEL! Good luck and welcome.

NEWBIES! Lotsa' you guys here these days. Why I remember when I was a newbie, drinking lemonade on the porch and...zzzzz. (I'm the oldest so it's cool for me to doze off). Anyway, welcome.

STIGER! Thank you!

DOROTHY! The books look awesome. Good luck.

SOUTHBEL! Heh. You did just fine. Personally, I hate Facebook. At least the "personalized" side. How many times must I read about my sister-in-law preparing for another cup of wonderful cocoa? My advice? Set up a separate Facebook site for your writing. See ya' in hell! (We'll roast marshmallows over the flames torturing us!)

Gah! This seems like a chain-letter Christmas greeting, doesn't it? Sorry. Just trying to catch up. Y'all are movin' fast!

auriel

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome, I'm going to be watching over you guys anxiously in QK!

Thanks to all - I am definitely jumping at the sound of my email notification like some Pavlovian experiment...

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com

MEL! Thanks!

Cool! Congrats!

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Why I remember when I was a newbie, drinking lemonade on the porch and...zzzzz. (I'm the oldest so it's cool for me to doze off). Anyway, welcome.

LOL. You made me laugh AND crave lemonade. Awesome trick you did there.

STIGER! Thank you!

DOROTHY! The books look awesome. Good luck.

Thanks so much!

Probably won't be in the cooler for a while during my trip. I'll stop in again afterwards for sure! Have a great week everyone! Off to BEA (on Sunday).

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
WAMPUS! Congrats to you, too, by the way (what's your "code-name" in the competition? Or is this a keep it quiet so as not to jinx it deal?). And, also...um, I really don't know what the winner gets (not that I expect to win). Bragging rights?

Oh, my nickname, which is terrible, was in the last post I made, in the line to Stiger.

I don't think the winner gets anything, but I'd guess at least one of the agents would request the MS. I think people who get to the third round get assigned to a mentor to help polish queries. Then agents get involved at the fifth round. Here's the timeline: http://michelle4laughs.blogspot.com/2013/04/query-kombat-agents-and-free-pass.html

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Um, hey guys. *waves* I hadn't posted here before because I always assumed I didn't belong here, being 24, but I've since realized the error of my ways. :)

I just sent out my first query letter today, to an agent who said on Twitter that she was looking for a book just like mine (and was talking to an editor who was looking too!) so I took a chance. I'm kind of terrified! But I've been working on my query almost as long as the book, so hopefully it'll be okay?

That is awesome! Best of luck to you!!!

*and nice seeing you here ;)

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Yay, Kansas!!!!!! So glad my suggestions/comments helped! Good luck!

Btw, what the heck is Query Kombat? Anyone wanna gimme da linky link?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, guys! I've been working on those darn front steps all week. Tomorrow I paint them, and hopefully they'll be done and I can contact the REA about selling. I suppose at that point I'll have to talk to Roomie....

I found an apartment I like. It's not the ideal location, but it's got a good price for the space and is in my 2nd choice location. What that gives me is a solid apartment choice if we sell when none of the decent apartments in my first choice location are available. So that's a relief.

@Sage: Thanks for your thoughts on the situation with my daughter. Things seem much better now. I think she may have just forgiven me ... or at least chosen to forget about it for now. ;)
I actually came in here to comment about yours and Kansas's situations again. My mom and I were just on the phone and she told me that last week when I told her that Roomie canceled on the birthday plans we had made she was so pissed off and what she really wanted to do was call Roomie and tell her all the things I'm not willing to yell at her about. Now, I'm 33, and if she had actually done that, I probably would have been mortified. But the fact that she so desperately wanted to, filled me with this immense love for her. So I just wanted to share because I think teens don't always recognize that the kind of love you're showing by sticking up for them is so amazing, and, yes, I know people whose parents wouldn't even consider it. Anyway, while I'm glad she didn't call Roomie and give her a piece of her mind, I'm so glad she told me how much she wanted to because it just filled me with so much love for her.

On a personal note, I, uh, got into QueryKombat. (Without going through QLH first, which was probably not a good idea. Yikes! There wasn't time, though!)

Congrats, both of you!

So the power of virtual coin tossing has told me I should revise SC.

I want to put it on the Kindle for big picture stuff. I don't know how to and the info I have is confusing. Who's done this before?
I e-mail through a special Kindle account and it sends it to me formatted (although aPB was in courier new for some reason). But that does cost like 10 cents.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Kansas! I have no idea what you win at the end of KombatQuery. I thought it was an agent contest, but then I started following key people and they are writers. Not sure what it is about, but congratulations! Good luck as you go further!

Sage, I cannot wait until that house is sold and you are done with that roommate. Were you friends before?

I started a new job and it is kicking my butt during the week. That is ok, though, because it inspires a bit of creativity in the spaces, which happen on the weekends. Novel revisions are on deck this holiday weekend, as well as garden planting and apple bud bagging.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats to at the QK people. Even if there's no prize, the knock out stuff is always fun to see.

So update on marriage approval. Yeah, I thought it was over too. Apparently not. Now they have to look into my past. Apparently they're afraid I might be a spy -_-. I'm awesome, but I'm not that awesome.

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I actually came in here to comment about yours and Kansas's situations again. My mom and I were just on the phone and she told me that last week when I told her that Roomie canceled on the birthday plans we had made she was so pissed off and what she really wanted to do was call Roomie and tell her all the things I'm not willing to yell at her about. Now, I'm 33, and if she had actually done that, I probably would have been mortified. But the fact that she so desperately wanted to, filled me with this immense love for her. So I just wanted to share because I think teens don't always recognize that the kind of love you're showing by sticking up for them is so amazing, and, yes, I know people whose parents wouldn't even consider it. Anyway, while I'm glad she didn't call Roomie and give her a piece of her mind, I'm so glad she told me how much she wanted to because it just filled me with so much love for her.

Aww, that was sweet of her. Makes me feel better about my choices too. Whew!

Good luck with selling! And with the apartment option!

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
You're so close, Sage! Hope you get everything finished up, and that there is minimal drama with the roommate!

Congrats to at the QK people. Even if there's no prize, the knock out stuff is always fun to see.

So update on marriage approval. Yeah, I thought it was over too. Apparently not. Now they have to look into my past. Apparently they're afraid I might be a spy -_-. I'm awesome, but I'm not that awesome.

How frustrating! I hope they get it settled soon! (I wanted to say something witty about spies, but Big Brother may be watching ;)).

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
So I've decided to print SC off for the rest of revisions, but I have to try and get rid of the Track Changes. WHICH IS NOT HAPPENING.

Gah. I definitely have a love/hate relationship with that feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.