Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Mel! That's okay! I'll read and keep my mouth shut.

Kewii! Call me envious as well, but a graveyard stroll to and fro school sounds absolutely awesome.

Parump! (Or was it JS?)! When you guys submitted, then resubmitted something else to RH, did you reference the rejected earlier book? Did you change up your biographical detail?

Last edited:

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Parump! When you guys submitted, then resubmitted something else to RH, did you reference the rejected earlier book? Did you change up your biographical detail?

I sent the same writing-history each time I subbed to Random House [4 times thus far].

No, don't reference any earlier rejections [as said by 'Guide to Lit Agents']. That doesn't look favorably on you. Only mention requests for materials. Otherwise the agent/pub assume something was wrong and that's why they haven't already taken you on.

If you want to say anything about previous subs to them - Ex: I'm subbing this manuscript to you because I have subbed to you before, and you requested x-amount of pages in that genre. Here is something new...

or something like that, but only if you want to add something in the details/submission history spot.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
'old' is anyone out of their teens. Lol.

Welcome to the thread! :hi:

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I know this might seem like common sense, but when I get a book critique, I'm not joining the military or taking P.E.

I had an editor once that had a good message but was delivered like a drill sergeant. I dealt with enough of that in JROTC, of which my middle grade novel is already somewhat satirizing.

"Drop down and give me twenty drafts. This we will defend."

If i were joining up, I'd be totally cool with it.^^

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com
Hi guys! Hope you're all doing well. Just stopped in to say hi, and that today is my wedding anniversary. Been married 19 years now. ^_^

Okay, off to spend time with the family.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys! Hope you're all doing well. Just stopped in to say hi, and that today is my wedding anniversary. Been married 19 years now. ^_^

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! Hubs and I just celebrated our 18th yesterday :D (well, our together anniversary which is bigger to us than wedding because we were together 6.5 years before marrying ;)).

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Question, does anyone know if statistics are taught in high school? At sort of at the point now where I'm just past bayes rule, but I'm having a hard time with harder stuff.

And so writing about college life or "New Adult" might be a little difficult. Though I've trained myself to think of 5t + 3 as either 15, 43, or 53 depending on what you assign it.

Or is teaching parts of the class even necessary?

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com
Happy Anniversary, Mel! :D

JustSarah, it's taught in high school here in Germany, but I guess it's possible that some schools in the states would have it as a high school subject as well. Sorry, I'm no help. :-/

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I just wondered as I was never personally taught it, I only went up to like Algebra I. I just don't want to write about school life, but then find I can't teach.

Ashwood

supercalifragilisticexpia lidocious
Registered
Reaction score

Wow 19 years! That's great! Happy anniversary :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I did stats in college, but I think there might have been a class in high school... Maybe an alternative math option if you didn't want to go the algebra/calculus route, but I'm not sure.

Robert L.B.

Tao of Wonka
Registered
Reaction score
Statistics are in high school, but not for normal classes. Generally it's Algebra I and II with maybe Trigonometry for AP classes. Calculus is pretty much reserved for college.

Also been playing a bit of Fallout:NV and I'm getting the urge to make my WIP have a dystopian setting since I like the theme. The main goal of the protagonist wouldn't change, since it's to renew the world, but it would give it a little more impact than a modern day Earth. Also I'd get to have things like roving gangs of elves and cannibalistic gnomes.

Periwinkle

Registered
Reaction score
Happy Anniversary Dorothy and Mel! :)

I took Stats in college for about 2 weeks before I had enough and switched out. :tongue I do think it's offered in high school, but like others have said, as an elective.

My son finished high school last year. Algebra I, Geometry, Alg. II/Trig, Calculus. He was actually AP Calc. It really depends on what you want to concentrate on in college. Some students take more advanced math in high school so they can place out of math requirements in college.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I could have had stats as a sophomore in high school. But I took something else instead :)

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I'm also, ...sort of doing a dystopia. Though I'm slowly beginning to feel calling it dystopia might be slightly deceptive. The better word for it is a focus on every day problems in a world edging closer to a police state.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Dorothy & Mel! Happy anniversary! Speaking of impressive states, those are impressive marriage length stats!

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the anniversary wishes! *huggles the old people*

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
happy anniversary :)

I also didn't have stats in high school. I know it was taught at Uni, but I didn't have to take it. So I have almost no knowledge about any of it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.