Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

casualrungal

Registered
Reaction score
Ahhh so much love for Florence + the Machine. I also love Arcade Fire, Silversun Pickups, and Joy Formidable, so it looks like we're fairly in synch as far as our musical tastes, Periwinkle!

My guilty pleasure (but also probably my favorite band, however lame that makes me) is Muse. My brother makes fun of me for it all the time, and unfortunately their latest stuff (off their new album coming out October, I think) makes me want to curl up in a ball and cry :( So bad! (IMO, sorry if anyone else here likes it). Ooh, but if you're ever in need of a good laugh, check out their Olympic theme song for London 2012. It's mind-boggling how that got selected!

Kansas - Arcade Fire Neon Bible is a great album, I agree! Another alt band I really like is Scanners, especially their album Submarine.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty eclectic in my music taste, I listen to everything from Bach, Motzart, and Tzchaikovsky (love me some Nutcracker!), to my all time fave, Billy Joel (man, I'm showing my age) Disney (man, I'm showing my immaturity LOL--not really, it's the inner child in me) and epic move scores (LOTR, Star Sars, Gladiator, Last of the Mohicans, etc.) to Christopher Cross (my lying on a Caribbean beach drinking a colada music) to Adele, Beyonce, Daughtry, Lady GaGa, Android Lust, Muse, Katy Perry, Spears, Linkin Park, etc. I really love just about everything (and just about EVERYTHING from the 80's ;)).

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
(I hate to say it, but American Idiot came out in 2004.)

I like a lot of the same music you guys do, but I also listen to a lot of classic rock and a lot of 90s grunge/alternative. I've been listening to a lot of Sleigh Bells and Jack White lately. I prefer to listen to music as I write, and often sing along - yea, I'm that person. It's just part of the rhythm of writing for me. I have to have quiet to edit though. Just realized that.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty eclectic in my music taste, I listen to everything from Bach, Motzart, and Tzchaikovsky (love me some Nutcracker!), to my all time fave, Billy Joel (man, I'm showing my age) Disney (man, I'm showing my immaturity LOL--not really, it's the inner child in me) and epic move scores (LOTR, Star Sars, Gladiator, Last of the Mohicans, etc.) to Christopher Cross (my lying on a Caribbean beach drinking a colada music) to Adele, Beyonce, Daughtry, Lady GaGa, Android Lust, Muse, Katy Perry, Spears, Linkin Park, etc. I really love just about everything (and just about EVERYTHING from the 80's ;)).

Yes! Last of the Mohicans is an excellent soundtrack to write to. Also, all of the Pirates soundtracks.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
]
Okay, let's chat about "book trailers." Anyone have any experience? Are they tough? I know you can hurl one together via Windows Live Movie-Maker but...it's damned intimidating. I'm still a big boy scared of his own shadow to venture out into the frightening world of blogdom. Where does one get the so-called free and public domain photos to put into one of these? Every site I've seen that proclaims "FREE" is fulla' crap. But they're cool. So damn cool. Help, y'all, help!

I've never actually made one. I did have my students make one once. For 12 year olds, they weren't bad. I think the students I have now would be even better at it. The iMovie program with Mac is something most of my kids swear by now.

Have you checked Creative Commons for pictures/videos? Of course, there is always making your own--or asking a friend to do something for you in exchange for coffee or something :)

Still, I'd rather have a professional make one for me. I know they could do it better than I could :)

Last edited:

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
My music taste is pretty damn random - from Glee to Boys Like Girls, Disney to The Beatles... That's only examples!

FMAnderson

Knocking his head against the wall.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
empirenevadathenovel.wordpress.com
I've been obsessing over The National all summer and Morrissey and Elliott Smith continue to be faves as well.

I found Swamplandia to be too much work. I wanted to like it, but didn't get but a few pages into the sample.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com

The Stranger is one of my favorite albums of all time. I don't care how dorky that makes me. He is an amazing songwriter.

And because we're talking music, I am obligated to tell you all to go listen to some Anberlin ;)

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
The Stranger is one of my favorite albums of all time. I don't care how dorky that makes me. He is an amazing songwriter.

And because we're talking music, I am obligated to tell you all to go listen to some Anberlin ;)

LOVE The Stranger! I also really REALLY love the 52nd Street album and Glass houses. Gah! I just love love love him!!!!!! (well, his music LOL). We just went to PA 2 weeks ago and hubs and I were totally blasting Allentown when we saw the sign on the highway :)

Oh, and how could I forget one of my fave female artists, FIONA APPLE. Omg. I freaking love her. She is so dark and tortured and full angst and anger haha. When the Pawn is one of my favorite albums ever. She writes all her own music and lyrics. Crazy talented.

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
I'm mourning the loss of my favorite radio station, a great alt/indie station, WFNX.

OMG me too! Guess we're in the same neck of the woods :) I am absolutely gutted. That was my cooking/driving music and I can't find any other good stations. Got any leads?

I'm also a fan of Arcade Fire and listened to The Suburbs a lot while writing my last MS. I get super inspired by music and have specific albums and playlists I listen to while writing. Last time was also a lot of Interpol and Editors. Need to get working on mood music ideas for the next book.

Also if I'm doing something kind of brainless at work I'll put on headphones and brainstorm plot to music. I find it super helpful.

Last edited:

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I get super inspired by music and have specific albums and playlists I listen to while writing.

Also if I'm doing something kind of brainless at work I'll put on headphones and brainstorm plot to music. I find it super helpful.

I'm like that too! I haven't got anything for my new idea/WIP yet, though.

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com
Erin, congrats on your book launch! Woohoo!

Lily and casual, welcome to the boards!

Also, I have a heads-up for everyone - I'll be holding another pitch contest on my blog September 21st and 22nd. Genres this time are literary fiction, young adult, fantasy and science fiction. :) Mark your calendars, and polish up your manuscripts!

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
When you say YA, are you saying all genres in that category or only literary fiction, sciifi, and fantasy?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Re: trailers. My understanding is that they're fun, but they don't do much for selling books.

Re: music. I'm pretty eclectic. I like most anything that's not country or rap

ETA: Holy crap I think this post wins Most Use of The Word "Just" In a Single Post! Is that even an award? Am I eligible?
I don't know. If you'd seen any of my rough drafts, I'm kinda a "just" addict.

Also, I have a heads-up for everyone - I'll be holding another pitch contest on my blog September 21st and 22nd. Genres this time are literary fiction, young adult, fantasy and science fiction. :) Mark your calendars, and polish up your manuscripts!
Oh, yay! These genres are more promising for me! Same deal, three sentence pitch?

casualrungal

Registered
Reaction score
LOVE The Stranger! I also really REALLY love the 52nd Street album and Glass houses. Gah! I just love love love him!!!!!! (well, his music LOL). We just went to PA 2 weeks ago and hubs and I were totally blasting Allentown when we saw the sign on the highway :)

Oh, and how could I forget one of my fave female artists, FIONA APPLE. Omg. I freaking love her. She is so dark and tortured and full angst and anger haha. When the Pawn is one of my favorite albums ever. She writes all her own music and lyrics. Crazy talented.

When the Pawn is one of my fave albums! Have you heard her latest album? I've been listening to it on Spotify and... eh, I'm sorry to say I don't like it as much :(

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
So, I'm doing a books to get spreadsheet, but I can't decide whether to put the year in or not.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I want to pretend I'm all musically incline too (not that you guys are pretending...just I am ;)

I tend to fall back on Jimmy Eat World, The Beatles, and Fleetwood Macfor my favourite songs. But I also have some Glee, Adele and No Doubt.I'm really digging Of Monsters and Men right now. They do Little Talk. Anyone else into them?

Question about revising: How many of you revise from the computer screen? Who prints out their work?

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Erin, congrats on your book launch! Woohoo!

Lily and casual, welcome to the boards!

I would totally enter if agents were interested in novellas.

I want to pretend I'm all musically incline too (not that you guys are pretending...just I am ;)

I tend to fall back on Jimmy Eat World, The Beatles, and Fleetwood Macfor my favourite songs. But I also have some Glee, Adele and No Doubt.I'm really digging Of Monsters and Men right now. They do Little Talk. Anyone else into them?

Question about revising: How many of you revise from the computer screen? Who prints out their work?

Ooh, if you like JEW, you might also like Angels and Airwaves (in case you're looking for some new stuff). I-Empire is my favorite album of theirs.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
When the Pawn is one of my fave albums! Have you heard her latest album? I've been listening to it on Spotify and... eh, I'm sorry to say I don't like it as much :(

No, I haven't. I tend to get stuck on the older albums of an artist and often don't like their newer stuff. Like I actually didn't like a lot of Billy Joel's later stuff. I'll listen to her new album though because I'm curious to hear what she's singing about now. :)

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Kewii, I have never printed out my novels. It's just too many pages and too much ink. I do it right on the puter. I could see how great it would be to have a printed out version in front of you, but I'm fine with my own method. Again, it's one of those things that you have to do what works for you. Try it both ways and see what works the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.