Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

bertrigby

Dysfunctional dystopian
Registered
Reaction score
oh my god, those 80s books are taking me back! granted I was born mid-decade, but I read a lot of old books from charity shops/the library when I was growing up. they just don't make 'em like that anymore...sigh...

CoryG

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I survived surgery! It was worse than the Doc thought it would be but once all of the scar tissue was removed he said it went well!

I had heard all kinds of stories about the pain associated with this surgery and thought "What's the big deal?" About 3 a.m. this morning when the nerve block finally wore off, I found out what the big deal was! Holy $#%$#@! That got my attention!!!

Now I'm beginning my synopsis for my book and possibly my query letter (I hate writing query letters though!!). Gonna have to have my wife do some proofreading though... apparently I don't spell very well on Vicodin!

Here's a picture of me, not in pain (yet), but thinking about how much I hate crutches!

553455_2370966570170_1191281248_n.jpg

motley_muse

forever jumping in with both feet
Registered
Reaction score
Owie, CoryG! Feel better soon. Maybe what the painkillers do to your spelling will be offset by an increase in creativity. :D

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Vicodin can be fun. Or not. In my experience, there are three common reactions: loopiness, weepiness, or sick-to-your-stomach-ness. Unfortunately, I react the last way.

yellowhammer

Registered
Reaction score
This thread is moving fast these days. Back a few pages.. Yes I did watch the Christmas episode of Downton Abbey. Sigh.

everythinginblak

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
TGIF! after doing dinner and bathing and putting my kiddos to bed I have a goal to put in twenty pages for my novella tonight.

I wanbt to be finished by september because I want to work on tweakign a few short stories and getting ready for NaNoWriMo. And I need to have another laptop by then. Want to get one brand new but I will settle for one from the pawn shop until tax season.

And now that I have a job...my writing schedule will change. Will do writing while kids are in daycare and school during the day time since that will be the only time I will have to write as I will collaspe into bed.

BTW anyone know of any good free web hosting sites?

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
CoryG, YIKES! That does not look fun. Hope you have a speedy recovery! I've never taken Vicodin. Sounds like it could be fun. Well, great research anyway. Be sure to keep a notebook and jot down how you feel, thoughts you have and all that good stuff. ;)

Hi Everythingblak. I don't think we've "met" :) Congrats on the job! Don't know anything about hosting sites let alone free ones, so I'm no help to you there. When you say putting the kids to bed, do you mean naptime? I see you're in FL and you posted at 2:30, so i'm guessing you mean naptime? Man, I wish my girls still napped. But then again, I like my nights and if they napped they'd be up until 1 in the friggin' morning. Anyway, one other thing...could you enlarge your font a tiny bit? I actually have to lean closer to my screen to read your post. *represents the "older" side of the thread*

Motely Muse is another name I don't recognize. And you seem to be new on the board? Welcome. :)

Last edited:

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Found a new song for the TM soundtrack. It's going to replace two "iffy" songs, so that works for me.

Really too bad, though, that the chorus and 2nd verse are PERFECT, but the first verse doesn't apply to the book at all.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
Satan? High school? Wowzer.

What can I say? Insomnia gives me odd ideas!

Congrats on the full requests! I'd love to see more YA horror. Oddly enough, horror and love stories are my two favorite genres.

I LOVE horror. I write,read and watch it.

Kitty, congratulations on the requests. Satan attending high school sounds like something I would read.

I decided to change the setting for my MG novel and feel the need to travel....as research, of course.

Might draw a map of the town, just to get a better grip on it.

Thank you! I so want to draw a map for my EF novels. Sadly,I have no artistic talent at all.

Kitty congrats on the full requests!!

G'morning/afternoon everyone else :hi:

Thank you!

Satan! In high school! Which of the two is more terrifying?

Jb, I totally relate to the kid thing! I'm a teacher, so summer break seems the perfect time to write... except for the 2.5-year-old who won't go to sleep at night and the 7-year-old who talks for 12 hours straight each day! :D It also doesn't help that we just moved and are trying to sell our old house... argh. By the time the kids are asleep, I'm exhausted, and my husband and I have a hard time resisting the urge to just watch tv and go to bed.

Ok, vent (and excuses) over. Must go unpack! I mean, write!

I'd say high school! I write when my kids are asleep. It's much easier.

P.S. how long did it take y'all to get full requests? Trying to decide how much to query my MG before deciding it's just not ready.

I sent out a query I thought was awesome. Crickets ensued. I asked Roly to look over it and in her polite way,she tore it apart. With her notes,I went back to the drawing board for three months and I also revamped the entire MS based in three different betas having the same issues.

That query got me the stats in my siggy.

Try Query Letter Hell when you're ready and ask members who beta to help you out. They can help a LOT.

Yeasayer

see you on a dark night
Registered
Reaction score
Are any YAers doing Camp NaNoWriMo? It's just like the actual NaNoWriMo except it's in August. Instead of the forums, though, you "bunk" with a few other writers and share a message board.

Also, I know there has to have been a post on something similar but I don't know what to search for. Basically, I know college aged protagonists are a no-no in YA. I have a shiny new idea where 90% of the story takes place in high school but the 10% at the end is the MC as a freshman in college. I don't know, I guess I'm not sure if this acceptable or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.