Not open for further replies.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Each novel is having a dedicated colour for the stationary:

Invincible: Red
Charlie series: Blue

Charlie might have black ink on blue index cards...

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
:hi: Guys!

LOL I had the best dream last night that I finished my revisions and was able to send it off to the agent who had asked to see it again and then she wanted to rep me. One can dream right?? :ROFL:

Sage - I really want to read LS but I don't own any sort of e-reader device. Is there a way to still be able to read it without having anything like that?

Also - Kansas, I was just teasing. no worries on the Taylor Swift. How did your horror movie fest go??

You can read Kindle books on your computer, or a Kindle app if you have an iPhone or Android.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, jb. Do I have to download some sort of app for Kindle books? For my comp, I mean. (Don't have a fancy phone)

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Yep: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000426311

:)

P.S. You might want to consider whether you might possibly buy an ereader in the future before you go committing yourself to the Kindle PC app. If you do the Kindle app and buy a bunch of books for reading there, and buy a Nook next year or something, you won't be able to read the books you bought on your ereader, KWIM?

Nook and Kobo should have similar apps for reading on a computer, so even if you're not currently in the market for an ereader, you may want to research as if you are before you decide which app to use ;)

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com
Question for y'all. Do you venture outside of YA territory? I've two adult thrillers just beggin' for attention. Wanted to know if it's natural, or if I'm a freak of nature. I think it's my webbed toes and gills behind my ears that really make me stand out, but...that's just me.

I wrote an adult ... hmm romance(?) once. But it was on a fan site, so it might have had characters loosely based on actual celebrities. And when I say loosely, I mean totally. Ehem. *ducks as others throw objects at head*

It was well received by the fan community, though. That was more than a decade ago. I like to think I've grown as a writer since then. ;)

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, Bishop. I remembered there were two of you who liked horror films. Thought you were one.

The power of Dr. Seuss compels me to withdraw my invite! (Sprinkling Fresca around the corners of the room). Now you're safe.

Please excuse my ignoramusnes(ness? is? whateverishness.), but what's "GoodReads?"

That would be me SIK :) And I'm very excited about a movie I've just moved to position #1 on my cue on Netflix. I actually saw Courtney Summers mention it on Twitter and went to check out the trailer and it looks REALLY good. It's called La Casa Muda. Can't wait to see it!

And OMG, have you guys seen the drama going on on GR? It's total insanity. That place is srsly losing my respect and frightening me. http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/309224-what-it-s-like-to-be-stalked?chapter=428115 Stay away from the discussions!!!!!!!!

Oh, and good morning :e2coffee:

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
I wrote an adult ... hmm romance(?) once. But it was on a fan site, so it might have had characters loosely based on actual celebrities. And when I say loosely, I mean totally. Ehem. *ducks as others throw objects at head*

It was well received by the fan community, though. That was more than a decade ago. I like to think I've grown as a writer since then. ;)

I have an X-rated story on fanfiction.net that has glowing reviews (and no, I'm not telling you guys my penname there, or linking you to the story :p)

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com
You might want to consider whether you might possibly buy an ereader in the future before you go committing yourself to the Kindle PC app. If you do the Kindle app and buy a bunch of books for reading there, and buy a Nook next year or something, you won't be able to read the books you bought on your ereader, KWIM?

You MIGHT be able to transfer Kindle books to Nook format on your PC with Callibre, but it's not guaranteed to work for all books.

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
You MIGHT be able to transfer Kindle books to Nook format on your PC with Callibre, but it's not guaranteed to work for all books.

I think you need a second piece of software for breaking the Amazon DRM, but perhaps I'm crazy. I've only used Calibre for throwing word docs and PDFs into ebooks so that I can edit.

And no shame-feeling about fan fiction. :D I think it's a fantastic exercise, and writing is writing. I'd written for years and even published some short stuff before I found a work I wanted to write fanfiction of. One of the best books I've read in 2012 so far is a fanfic, but it just happens to be written by someone in a really prestigious MFA program who has a lot of command of her craft.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
LOL I had the best dream last night that I finished my revisions and was able to send it off to the agent who had asked to see it again and then she wanted to rep me. One can dream right?? :ROFL:

Sage - I really want to read LS but I don't own any sort of e-reader device. Is there a way to still be able to read it without having anything like that?
The best way to do it is to go to Musa (link in my sig) and buy a PDF file from them. The PDF is gorgeous. Then you can read on screen or print it out.

And get ready for many agent dreams. I can't tell you how many querying/offers/rejection dreams I've had.

Does changing font REALLY help when editing on screen?
I don't usually change font for editing (unless I'm going from non-standard to standard in preparation for betas and agents), but when printing it out, I change size and all that, and just having it printed out vs. on the screen makes a big difference for me. I assume the font change is the same way.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Point of interest about the e-market, if it's not too much of a hassle (I know a lot of people prefer the ease of buying directly from Amazon for their Kindle or B&N for their Nook), it's better to buy e-books directly from the publisher than through a third-party. Amazon, for example, takes 30% of the sales and that comes out of the author's pocket too.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I still can't decide what to do with Invincible, and it's bugging me.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Rewrite Chapter One - Five and continue

Just replot the rest, using the existing scenes to help, using index cards.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys! I have a Mac so Idk if the kindle app still works on it? And I am going to see if I can download LS as a PDF, Sage. Thanks for letting me know.

Also, re: Fanfic. I used to write it all the time. Our old PC (Rest in peace!) had over 17 documents of my nerdy, angsty fanfic :D I am a proud FF'er! I wrote it until about 2 years ago when the fandom I was in kinda died out :( Also no one goes on the webpage anymore or really posts. The books were even rebooted by the publishers but Idk if they have done that well, sales wise...

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I can't decide whether to do a seasonal soundtrack for CCW or an adventurous one that follows the plot or a combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.