Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I'll get rid of her after the funeral. FOR SURE.

ETA: 10K! :D

ETA2: Going to bed.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I did not buy a car. They didn't even have a Fit or a Prius. Actually, funny story, the salesgirl thought they had a Fit (it was orange so I wouldn't have gotten it) and I was like, "I'll go test drive it." It turned out that it wasn't a car they were selling; it was one of the employees' cars, lol. They showed me a PT Cruiser in my price range (my dad would have been so jealous, lmty), but it wasn't in the best condition, so I said no. They were not so excited by my max payments, but they were really really excited by my credit, lol. It was clear they were aiming for people with low to average credit, and their monthly payments were set for people who wanted to put $59 down on the car.

I won the toolkit and 2 scratch-off tickets, and did not win any money on them.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Sorry the car situation didn't work out, Sage. Have you thought about getting a car loan through your bank and buying from a private party? We're on our 5th loan from our credit union, and I can't imagine ever being at the mercy of a dealership for financing ever again.

Just posted an all new QL. Strapping on my emotional armor as I type.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Nah, I'm not going to get a car. It was really just a matter of opportunity. It turned out not to be an opportunity after all, so now I'll wait until a better time to get a car.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
My hubby and I frequently visit car lots and dream about new(er) cars. We both have old cars....both have been paid off for many years. That is great, but it is still fun to think about getting new wheels.

Sorry about QLH, justbishop. Sounds brutal. Don't trash it yet. Let the dust settle a bit, and maybe some suggestions will make sense. Others never will. Critiques are valuable, but they can hurt, and they can be useless too. Take what is useful and forget the rest.

I am finishing up a revision of a middle grade story and considering trying to find a beta reader....or even an alpha reader. My critique group has read the first half, but I am trying to keep up with the times. LOL.

Maybe I should be afraid, but I am quite used to being told my work is crap. LOL.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Is it weird that I am completely happy with my 2002 minivan? The Element that we got rid of had much more "cool" factor, and I do feel much more Mom-ish in the van, but I wouldn't trade it. I don't even think I'd want a newer Odyssey. I like that when mine gets a parking lot ding, it's no big deal, lol.

And nothing too soul crushing yet in QLH. I think I may finally be on the right track!

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Justbishop, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my minivan and can't imagine ever owning any other kind of car while my kids are young and need me to drive them everywhere. I'll probably own a minivan until they get their own cars (which is at least 10-11 years away ;)). I just love the space and comfort of it. Great for family trips, trips to IKEA :)D) and I love that I can sit 7 people comfortably.

Hey, lisa, gl with your writing sprints today!

Doing some beta reading now and taking the girls to the pool later. It's a GORGEOUS day today. sunny and 82. I FREAKING LOVE SUMMERRRRRRRRRR

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
The bolded just gave me a bit of a heart attack. That's $1k or so more than what we owe on our mortgage.

Haha, yeah, it's basically like having two mortgages. We throw every extra cent we have at them though to get them down faster. Our plan is seven more years (I had to get an economic hardship for a while since I wasn't working).

I got a little bit of writing done yesterday, but this is my bad time so it's hard to think. My dad died three years ago today at the ripe old age of 43.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Haha, yeah, it's basically like having two mortgages. We throw every extra cent we have at them though to get them down faster. Our plan is seven more years (I had to get an economic hardship for a while since I wasn't working).

I got a little bit of writing done yesterday, but this is my bad time so it's hard to think. My dad died three years ago today at the ripe old age of 43.

:( :( :( Oh, Sarah, I'm so sorry. So, so sorry. :( RIP daddy Henson.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks mel! I always miss him, but I let today be my "dark day." I'm actually doing a lot better than I have before! Usually Hubby has to drag me from the bed and make me do things to distract me. Today I'm up all on my own.

I think I'm going to go see a movie but I can't decide which: Brave, Rock of Ages, Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, or Snow White and the Huntsman?

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
And my vote is for Brave. I'm in an all GIRL POWER mood. I can't wait for my girls to see that movie (next weekend we are going!). ((((((justbishop)))))))

ETA: But, if I was seeing a movie with just the hubs or by myself, I'd go for Snow white (but that's only because I never heard of the other ones??? Where the hell have I been?)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I am just constantly smh at my Supe, who complains all the time about having to work on weekends (because of work he's scheduled there unnecessarily, oftentimes), yet somehow thinks that taking me off a consistent Sunday workday will help him work weekends less. :crazy:

And then today, when I'm working a perfect 8-hour day (we're dependent on the amount of tests we have) and he's not scheduled, he shows up and offers to help. Go home!

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
I do not miss working for stupid people, lol!

So this has been en eventful day. I feel like Will Farell's character in the beginning of the movie Old School, but we hit Home Depot and Lowe's this morning after coffee and breakfast to look for landscaping chizz, price fountains, etc. Then took ourselves out to lunch at the DQ grill and chill (where I got a shake that I couldn't even drink half of, I was so full). Home for the kiddo's nap, and then when she woke up, we headed outside to bathe the dog with the hose since it's so hot. The hubs was digging up a plant to move and accidentally pissed off a yellowjacket nest, so that was fun. Now it's leftovers for dinner and bed for the spawn, then I'll have til about 10 my time to continuously hit refresh on QLH to see if anyone has torn my newest version to shreds yet :D

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Wrote 1K in my sprint, got distracted by the football and gave up. I will have to try different tactics.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a busy day, JB. But Yummy to DQ grill and chill. We have a few DQs on the island but not sure if any of them serve food? Hmm...

And sorry for the QLH stress. Ugh. hate that place sooooo much. I would comment, but I really suck at queries and still don't feel confident commenting on them.

Just got back from the pool. It was nice, but I much prefer being at the pool when it's at least 85 degrees. It only got up to about 82 today, but the girls had fun. We just ordered Dominoes because we have like no food in the house LOL. Tomorrow I have to do a mega grocery shopping. Now that the girls are out for the summer, I'll be spending a lot more money on food. Especially fruit. We go through so much of it in the summer!

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
1k is nothing to sneeze at, lisa :)

And I'm jealous that you have access to a pool, Mel! I think I'm going to go purchase a year pass to all of the county rec system waterparks (which includes the stuff at the big ice skating complex here, most important of which to us is the BOUNCE HOUSE, YEAH!!) this week, but the one we like to go to is still about a 30 minute drive away.

QLH hasn't been nearly as stressful with this newest incarnation of my QL. I think something finally clicked ;)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
That's great to hear, JB!

I've been pretty bad about writing the last week or so. Instead of writing today, I'm researching choirs, lol. But I want to join one! I miss choir. Unfortunately, it turns out that most choirs in Columbus are all women or all men, and that all the all-women ones rehearse on the same day of the week at the same time. The one I know the most about isn't rehearsing/auditioning until September, so I'll look at the other two that I'm considering now. They're both a capella, which I really think is awesome, but is not something I've done beyond a song here or there in my past choirs. Oh, here's another (all three of these are within the same big organization, I guess, Sweet Adelines), but it meets on Thursdays at 7, which is write-in time. Nope.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
I think I'm going to set up a blog tonight. Just waiting to get a password retrieval on one of my web hosting accounts, then I'm going to buy my domain (well, ANOTHER domain...I'm kind of a collector) and do some Wordpress magic.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on hitting 1k today lisa! It may not seem like much to you, but every thousand words is another thousand closer to being done!

We ended up going to Snow White. It was pretty good, even with Kristen Stewart's weird facial expressions. I really really want to see Brave though, so that's next on the list!

Mel, I'm so jealous of wherever you live! It was about 98 here. Thankfully the humidity wasn't too terribly bad, but that's not saying much. It's still like trying to breathe underwater!

justbishop, you had quite the busy day!

Sage, good luck finding a choir! I tried singing in the church choir a few months ago, but it's been so long since I sang parts I felt hopelessly lost. Suffice it to say, I didn't stay with it for long.

In other news, Hubby parked is car in the wrong place last weekend and now every time we turn on the air ants come flying out of the vents. We've tried spray and ant motels and cleaned and vacuumed his car and they just keep coming! Any thoughts on how to kill the little bastards?

Status
Not open for further replies.