Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys. Morning.

Why is the name Dorothy linked to horror movies? My ex-sis-in-law is also called Dorothy. Is it the reason why I have never won a lotto?

Kansas, let's say Mr. Berkley's imdb profile photo doesn't do him justice ^_^. And I'm fine with Orlando Bloom or any Hemsworth, even Bieber. Just don't give me Pattinson, for #$%^%$^ sake.

Congrats Stiger05 for the new car. I'm so envy about your new McLaren MP4-12C :cry:

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Stiger05 for the new car. I'm so envy about your new McLaren MP4-12C :cry:

Oooh, I wish! Rawwrrrr!

Thanks guys! I'm looking at a Honda CR-V. I figure we should just go ahead and get a new one. If we're going to do it, do it right! Hubby wants used. Still working on that one, but at least I won't have to worry the car is going to die every time I crank her up!

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Stiger05! Maybe someone should do a sort of Hunger Games twist on "mullet spotting."

Thanks for the welcome, Dorothy (I feel your pain regarding your name)!

Okay, another noobie's blog question...I'm torn about what to call it. I know it's dull, but should I just slap my name on there for easy recognition? Do I name it after my first book (I don't want to limit it, however I've milked four books out of these characters. On the other hand, I'm also working on two unrelated adult thrillers)? Or should I call it "Stuck In Kansas (if it's not taken)?" ALL of my books take place in Kansas.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Oooh, I wish! Rawwrrrr!

Thanks guys! I'm looking at a Honda CR-V. I figure we should just go ahead and get a new one. If we're going to do it, do it right! Hubby wants used. Still working on that one, but at least I won't have to worry the car is going to die every time I crank her up!

We are used car people here, especially after studying the teachings of Dave Ramsey. Have you considered a certified used Honda? We bought a certified Element and were really happy with it.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, another noobie's blog question...I'm torn about what to call it. I know it's dull, but should I just slap my name on there for easy recognition? Do I name it after my first book (I don't want to limit it, however I've milked four books out of these characters. On the other hand, I'm also working on two unrelated adult thrillers)? Or should I call it "Stuck In Kansas (if it's not taken)?" ALL of my books take place in Kansas.

It's totally up to you, but personally I wouldn't title it after the book. Your name or something about you or your writing would have wider appeal, but then again you can always change it later.

Rick Riordan, author of the Percy Jackson books, for example, calls his blog "Myth and Mystery." JK Rowling's website is just her name. Kristen Hubbard has two books, Like Mandarin, and Wanderlove, and calls her website "Kristen Hubbard Tells Stories" with pages for each book. Just a few examples.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
We are used car people here, especially after studying the teachings of Dave Ramsey. Have you considered a certified used Honda? We bought a certified Element and were really happy with it.

Yeah, I always said I wouldn't buy a new car. We're on a Dave Ramsey-like cash budget system (we pay for bills and gas on the card,everything else is cash). My past experiences with crappy cars have me terrified though. I keep wondering why the previous owners got rid of such a low mileage car. It would be nice to know no one traded it because of problems, or a wreck, etc. My faith in vehicles is shot, haha.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
And get thee to Spotify or Youtube and check out The Wedding Album (I think that's the title) by Duran Duran!

I've got that album. :)

Hi guys:

Can I join the party?

First of all, yes, I'm an old fart who just had his first young adult novel accepted by an on-line publisher. It's the first of a trilogy, the second two first-drafts already completed.

I know I'm jumping into the middle of the pow-wow here, but there's no way I can go back and read 900+ pages.

You'll also notice I have no signature, no links, no anything! I'm just beginning at the ripe young age of 50.

Welcome Stuck in Kansas! :welcome:

Whoa, this thread is really moving fast these days, lol. I had several pages to read through today and I only visited yesterday!

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Kansas, I would put your name and then come up with some interesting title that gives a feel for who you are or what your blog will focus on.

Re: the new car convo, yeah, I'm another one who will never buy a new car. It's a total waste of money because as soon as you drive it off the lot it immediately loses like 25% of it's value. Just not worth it IMO. Unless you've got buku dollars to spend and can buy the car cash without blinking an eye, and have nothing better to do with your money then go for it. Otherwise I'd say go for a used certified car from a (legit) dealer that comes with a 3/5 year or 100K mile warranty. But yay for convincing the hubster to get a "new" car!!!!!!

Bing, haha, I think you got the Dorothy/horror movie convo confused. Dot was making a reference to her name and Kansas ;) :p

Morning everyone. Just ran a crap load of errands and I'm going to do some beta reading which means my writing is out the window today. :( Oh, well. I'm dedicated to my beta reads because they have always been so dedicated to mine.

SIK, MG=Middle Grade (you know, like The Lightening Thief, the first 2-3 HP books, The Absolute True Diary of a Part-Time Indian--which if you haven't read, OMG READ IT!!!!!!!)

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone ever stopped writing a chapter just because they're confused about a scene or am I being stupid?

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Nah, I usually just power through the initial writing without blinking, but I set myself up for pretty painful editing/revision with that approach. Whatever works for you. I can see how maybe taking a breath and really thinking about what you're writing might be a better tactic, lol.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I meant skipping a chapter/scene and just writing the next one, because all of the ideas you have you're unsure about. Something like that.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm about to kill off a character I never intended to kill...

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Oh no :(

I'm bored. Meeting the hubs for dinner at about 5:30, but the place is only a three minute drive from home. No one on Facebook is being interesting at the moment.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Bing, haha, I think you got the Dorothy/horror movie convo confused. Dot was making a reference to her name and Kansas ;) :p

Not linked to horror movies -- unless you count the Wizard of Oz a horror movie. ;)

(And I see you're in New Jersey. I used to live there for 15 years.)

Well, hmm, I have no idea how I got two ideas from two paragraphs mixed up. Sorry, guys.

Dorothy, you moved away from NJ in good time. They're now handing out fines for not buckle up your dogs and cats, the max fine's probably heavier than not buckle up your spouse/kids. Why am I hating politicians more everyday?

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
I completely forgot to mention this (I just looked in the movies and tv thread). I've got a friend on the Glee Project this season, so if you watch at all, support Shanna! I have no idea how things turned out because she's keeping mum, but it's been interesting to watch. (We don't get Oxygen so we have to watch online).

ETA:
Dorothy, you moved away from NJ in good time. They're now handing out fines for not buckle up your dogs and cats, the max fine's probably heavier than not buckle up your spouse/kids. Why am I hating politicians more everyday?

@lisa- fasten the car seat belt.

How do you buckle in a cat? I know they make seat belt conversion things for dogs, but a cat? We put ours in carriers and the dog lays in the seat. Maybe we could wrap the seat belt around the carrier, but I don't think it would do much good.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I don't watch Glee Project, but I do watch Glee, so if she appears, I look forwards ton seeing/hearing her.

Status
Not open for further replies.