Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Is it bad I scratched the 'next scene' idea and just sent the ms off to beta#2? *shifty eyes* Cause I just did that...

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Not really. It was just a suggestion from a friend (like "add another one of those scenes - they were good"). But atm, I can't really see where to fit in plot-wise and timeline wise, so I'll leave it out.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Who knows about the vampire hunter thing. Maybe the Abe Lincoln movie will just fuel the trend. Twilight spinoffs are still making it big, albeit without vampires.

I am plotting a companion novel for a minor character who is demanding his own story. We'll see how that goes.

Need to finish my revisions first. I felt like I ripped up the first half of the novel and put together something even better, but the last half is not changing much.

I need to figure out what to with a reoccurring owl.....

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
:cry: BETA READER #2 CAN'T BETA FOR ME!! :cry: What do I do now?????

Jill- There's an owl in your story? I love it when those guys make appearances in stories :D

Last edited:

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Yay for the idea not being cliche!

Now to decide whether to include it or not.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys:

Can I join the party?

First of all, yes, I'm an old fart who just had his first young adult novel accepted by an on-line publisher. It's the first of a trilogy, the second two first-drafts already completed.

My main character is an awkward teenage boy witch. But, it's funny what you're talking about...a character that I introduce in the second novel is threatening to out-shine my main character. I just completed the first draft of a manuscript focusing on this character. She's fantastic...but, is it terrible to get sick of writing about your characters? After the initial trilogy and a spin-off novel, I relish the thought of writing about adults for a while.

And an owl that's a character? That's totally awesome! The closest I came was a brave gaggle of cats (unfortunately which my witch boy protagonist is allergic to) who came to his rescue.

I know I'm jumping into the middle of the pow-wow here, but there's no way I can go back and read 900+ pages.

You'll also notice I have no signature, no links, no anything! I'm just beginning at the ripe young age of 50.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
"Zombieland" is an awesome movie!

Thanks for the welcome, justbishop. Okay, do we need to get all the Kansas jokes out of the way? Sigh. Yes, "I don't think we're in Kansas any more." And, no, we don't still have cowboys running rampant through our cities (even though a Venazuelan student that I went to college with thought that was the case back in the '80's). Although we are still afflicted with an unfortunate disease called "mulletism."

Actually, I'm taking advantage of my horrific midwest upbringing and setting all of my novels in Kansas (even though I actually live in a Kansas City suburb). I amuse myself by calling them "farm noir." My fictional town is Clearwell, Kansas. I just finished the first draft of my sixth novel set there.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Hahaa, I hadn't even considered Kansas jokes! Of course, I'm sure if I started spouting them off, people would find plenty to say about South Carolina, so it's probably best that I'm not that quick witted ;)

And LOL @ "farm noir"

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
South Carolina? Cool! Does your writing take place there?

As I said, I'm new here, and I probably should know since you've posted quite a bit, but...I'm much too lazy (Kansas) to look up all of your posts. I would think, though, that South Carolina would be ripe with place and character.

This is all a little intimidating for me since I'm just beginning. But, thus far, everyone seems pretty cool unlike a lot of other websites.

Right now, I'm just beginning to feel my way around how to start "social networking"...something better left off to my daughter, but I realize I have to launch into it.

Any tips from anyone? As we speak (multi-tasking, not "mullet-tasking"), I'm attempting to set a blog up.

Question: Is it okay to write about other passions on my blog in addition to "pimping" my book? Or do I need to set something separate up?

I've got a really, really weird passion for awful genre films from the '60's through the '80's that I'd like to share (abuse?) with potential readers.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
A blog can be anything you want it to be. Mine is a character blog - setting up a prequel for my book, coming out next April.

;)

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
I have no idea on the blog setup thing (past the actual coding/design). I've built plenty, but have never been very good at keeping one updated with interesting reading, myself.

And yes, the one story of any length that I've ever written, my WIP, takes place here, but it's not as bursting with "local flavor" as you might think. We are in the north western portion of the state, so not as exciting as the low country (Charleston, Myrtle Beach, etc.) Everything here is pretty much mini malls and chain stores, and I'd say our local claim to fame is the BMW factory. We do have a nice downtown area, but even the fancy chef type restaurants there seem to think that "upscale southern bistro" and shrimp and grits is the way to go...but if I want that type of thing, I'll just drive the three hours to Charleston, KWIM?

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks parumpdragon.

So...how hard is it to create a website? I know it's an elementary question (and I spent 25 years as a graphic artist -- old school, however -- so I should know better), but do you believe it necessary?

Man, I just want to write, but the whole publishing world changed while I wasted 25 years in corporate hell!

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
South Carolina? Cool! Does your writing take place there?

As I said, I'm new here, and I probably should know since you've posted quite a bit, but...I'm much too lazy (Kansas) to look up all of your posts. I would think, though, that South Carolina would be ripe with place and character.

This is all a little intimidating for me since I'm just beginning. But, thus far, everyone seems pretty cool unlike a lot of other websites.

Right now, I'm just beginning to feel my way around how to start "social networking"...something better left off to my daughter, but I realize I have to launch into it.

Any tips from anyone? As we speak (multi-tasking, not "mullet-tasking"), I'm attempting to set a blog up.

Question: Is it okay to write about other passions on my blog in addition to "pimping" my book? Or do I need to set something separate up?

I've got a really, really weird passion for awful genre films from the '60's through the '80's that I'd like to share (abuse?) with potential readers.

Hey Kansas! Welcome. You're killing me over here with the Mullet stuff which I think we can probably work with way more than the Kansas jokes ;) Nice to have a guy in the forum and one who actually fits the "O" of the forums name :D I'm not TOO far behind ya. Congrats on your books and much luck on their success.

I would def get some info regarding your book(s) in your siggy when you get a chance and any links to your Blog, website, or twitter acct if you have (and if you don't, um, they are great ways to social network as well--esp twitter which is fast and easy and allows you to follow lots of people in the industry). Also, of course, visit the many awesome boards they have on AW. SYW is also a great place where people posts snips of their work for critiquing. You can offer advice and people will offer advice on your stuff if you ever need some feedback on anything. (though you have to have at least 50 post before you can post your work for critiquing).

Anywhoo, welcome again!

Mel

ETA: Gah! didn't finish reading your whole post before I posted (why yes, i was that kid who always began the test w/out reading the directions :D) Honestly, I think you should focus on setting up the blog for what you really want it to be about. I think you will find you have more success if you create something that isn't just about pimping your book. I personally find it a little annoying when people try to pull me into their blog or follow me on twitter and then I find out they are just coming out with a book. It just seems disingenuous to me and I get a little turned off. Not saying everyone will, plenty of people do it. I just get a little funny with it. However, I'M A HUGE MOVIE BUFF! Especially horror movies (I have 3 Pinterest boards dedicated to just movies and horror has it's own :)). I would totally be digging a blog about movies as movies are a HUGE influence in my writing. More so than books though since I've really gotten back into reading (esp YA) in the last 5 years, I'm slowly finding myself getting inspiration from books I read, but not like movies.

Last edited:

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Kansas! (My pen pal is from there :D)

A blog can be anything you want it to be. Mine is a mish-mash of book reviews, how my writing is going (or not going - :tongue) and college. When I started my blog I was still in college so I wrote about that a bit. You could blog from your character's points of view, you could blog about your day, you could blog about what you are writing, what you are reading, etc. It's all up to you.

Also guys-I put out a call for beta readers on FB :cool: Hopefully one of my IRL friends will help me out.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
re: the Abe Lincoln/vampire movie. I'm totally stoked for it. I think it looks pretty friggin' awesome. And Brave...OMGICANNOTWAITFORTHISMOVIEANDICANTWAITFORMYGIRLSTOSEEAKICKASSGIRLPOWERFILM!!!!!!!

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Smiley, I soooo wish I could help right now. I have one beta project to finish now (100 pages left, but it so effing flawless that I should be able to whiz right through them) then I have another beta project to read and my friend has organized an auction (in memory of Andy Whitfield) in which I will be doing a beta read on 5 chapters and a synopsis. I'm co-beta reading with another writer friend and we already got a $100 bid! If I finish things in a timely fashion and you are still in need of a beta reader, I'll give you a shout. What is the genre/length?

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
You guys are so cool.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Yeah, I kinda' figured I was the oddball out. A fifty year old guy probably isn't what my (potential) readers will expect if they ever find out the ugly, sordid truth. However, my wife would disagree in that she thinks I'm one of the most immature people she's ever met. Thank God she has terrible taste in men.

Having said that, the six teens who have read my book (hey! some not relatives) thought that it was timely and spoke to them.

That's what's important to me. The book is truly about bullying and other issues teens wrestle with (wrapped up in a mystery/paranormal wrapping). I just want to get my message out.

And get some beer money. And buy a new sofa (writing six novels in the same spot on a sofa over two years can do damage I discovered).

Thanks for the support and advice, everyone. You've been really helpful. I like it here. We'll see if you feel the same after all of my bad jokes.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
hahahaha...the beer money...glad I didn't have anything in my mouth just now or I would have been cleaning my puter screen.

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Melly- Krista(Juneluv) is one of my beta readers. I feel like you're her friend Melanie?? :)
Okay back to yr question...My novel is 54k (about 215 pages), contemporary/edgy YA told in non-chronological order. I basically want someone to tell me if the chronology is at all confusing (an agent called it inventive and original - but I still want some help), if the love interest seems okay and if overall I need anything else... I'm doing it for an R+R so I'd love for it to be done within the next month or so (trying to get back by Sept)
And WOW it sounds like you're busy!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.