Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
You're welcome :D

Dorothy, I wanted to let you know someone started a Month9Books thread at Bewares & Backgrounds Check. I didn't know if you wanted to contribute since there isn't a lot out there on the company...but, yeah, just a heads up.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Justbishop, I just misread your statement about getting an idea as "An idiot just hit me in the shower" :ROFL: (I'm on novacane thank you dentist so everything is 10% funnier)

Also I HATE synopsises with a serious passion..I'm off to SYW to check yours out :)

LMAO! Although my husband has been known to take the opportunity to smack me on the butt in the shower before...

I haven't headed over there to see what you have to say yet, but thanks in advance for the crit ;)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Month9Books might be very new, but their initial author list is pretty impressive. The Dark Tales anthology alone has a ton of great authors.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Anyone up for a PM to hear about my shower idea? It won't get out of my head, but I'm scared to post it in "public" lol!

And I really should be revising my synopsis. Going to go do that now. Promise.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
You could always post in the Sandbox, justbishop (it's password protected, if that's what you're worried about).

So I was working on Finding Trouble (low MG or chapter book), and I knew the voice was off, so I reread Trouble with Pets, which I wrote in November. OMG, I love it! It's hilarious! I'm sure there are problems, but I love it so much.

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Wait...there are *two* Troubles? And I'm glad you found something to work with/on. Think positive Sage :)

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com
Dorothy, I wanted to let you know someone started a Month9Books thread at Bewares & Backgrounds Check. I didn't know if you wanted to contribute since there isn't a lot out there on the company...but, yeah, just a heads up.

Thanks for the heads up. :)

Month9Books might be very new, but their initial author list is pretty impressive. The Dark Tales anthology alone has a ton of great authors.

Yep, I can't wait to read it! :D

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Wait...there are *two* Troubles?
Oh, no, there is only one Trouble ;)

Trouble is the spirit of trouble (in training) and he's magically handcuffed to a good little pastor's daughter, and they become best friends, even though he's always getting her into trouble.

Finding Trouble is the book where they meet, so if I want to do a series, I probably have to start with it, but I wrote Trouble with Pets during NaNo because it was the most fun to plot. I also have Halloween Trouble, but I know it has a lot of problems.

Chapter books (I'm not sure if this is too old or not) are an area where you can have a series while querying and that makes agents happy, because it's advantageous to put them out quickly. They're like a very small stage between the Early Reader books (like the Magic School Bus series) and low MG (like Beverly Cleary's stuff). The Trouble books might be low MG.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Have you guys ever had a minor character demand a bigger role/sequel? Because that's what's happening to me.

AND I don't know whether to end this chapter where it is or add another scene, and if the second one, what sort of scene.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I had a small character in my first novel demand her own novel, which was my first NaNo.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently I have to reboot every single page on AW after I go to it to get it to load. Sigh.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
In Invincible, Ruby, the LI, has an older brother, who is demanding that he is actually a vampire hunter, and that I need to write a sequel about him and Will (the narrator/MC). The hell?

The chapter thing is connected. I know it is.

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, okay I understand, Sage. I like the idea of a series. (LOL Wish I could write them. I wrote 1 fantasy and that was enough:tongue)

Lisa- Yes, I have had a minor character want to be more major so I tortured them and gave them just a little bit more page time.I'm terrible I know;)

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
You could always post in the Sandbox, justbishop (it's password protected, if that's what you're worried about).

Yeah, I'm not even sure that it's ready for THAT, lol!

Have you guys ever had a minor character demand a bigger role/sequel? Because that's what's happening to me.

AND I don't know whether to end this chapter where it is or add another scene, and if the second one, what sort of scene.

Yep, both of the minor characters in my WIP have pretty much become MCs, and my original MC is kind of just a catalyst/background character now.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
I would consider it to be by the time the Abe Lincoln movie comes out. But then again, people are still digging vamps, and Twilight has been over for how long now?

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Oh gosh, that Abe Lincoln movie.*rolls eyes* My guy friends really really want to go and they don't get that I think it looks so stupid. But I'm trying to plan it so we see that movie, and then I get to drag them to Brave (which they don't want to see). I feel like that's a fair trade.*shrug*

:hooray: Also I got to 54,000 words! I need one more scene and then I'm with these revisions. And off to beta #2 :snoopy:

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Oh gosh, that Abe Lincoln movie.*rolls eyes* My guy friends really really want to go and they don't get that I think it looks so stupid. But I'm trying to plan it so we see that movie, and then I get to drag them to Brave (which they don't want to see). I feel like that's a fair trade.*shrug*

:hooray: Also I got to 54,000 words! I need one more scene and then I'm with these revisions. And off to beta #2 :snoopy:

YAY.

BTW, the vampire hunter thing is a new idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.