Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
(My publisher is organizing my book signing at BEA 2013!)
So exciting!

I ended up sucking it up and working on TM last night, but I gotta tell you that it's so hard to open up a critique on a novel when you're being critted (less constructively, lmty) in real life.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
I hate hate hate this scene...I hate when something sounds amazing in your head but when you try to write it down it is sh**. :(

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
I need to read Love Sucks. I'm not reading anything at the moment because I just can't get into anything while I'm still in the world of my WIP, but my list of stuff to get my hands on once I'm done is growing!

And I actually broke 21k words with the rewrite of my scene! I think I was able to split it nicely into two, so I'm pretty happy at the moment! I just hope that the expert I've been advised by will find it accurate.

Hang in there, Smiley. Try starting the scene 10 minutes later than you have it starting now. That helps me sometimes :)

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
I killed this thread :cry:

I just got a query rejection. I ran into the agent @B3A and told her I'd never received a response (nbd, closed out happens all the time) and she told me to requery. Nicest rejection I ever received - too dark for her but she was glad I had resent anyway and best of luck.

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Aww I'm so glad your 3 y/o likes my avatar. I chose it because it made *me* smile whenever I looked at it. (I figured it would make the whole writing/querying process easier)

How did cleaning go? Successful I hope?

(I got to 52k. Woot!! I like this whole adding scenes thing:))

Shoot...I just realized I have laundry to continue doing... *runs downstairs*

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
So, writing on my WIP went speedily at first, but now I've hit a slump. I'm at point A and I know what point B is, I just don't know how the characters get there. More accurately, I don't know what they say while they're getting there. Grrrr...dialogue....

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Tiger tiger burning bright... I feel you. *hugs* You can do it. Maybe insert "needs dialogue here" and come back to it later?

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Aww I'm so glad your 3 y/o likes my avatar. I chose it because it made *me* smile whenever I looked at it. (I figured it would make the whole writing/querying process easier)

Meh. Got the kitchen done. Still need to stick vac the entire house, though.

Aaaaand I'm still sitting here...lol!

So, writing on my WIP went speedily at first, but now I've hit a slump. I'm at point A and I know what point B is, I just don't know how the characters get there. More accurately, I don't know what they say while they're getting there. Grrrr...dialogue....

Dialogue is the bane of my existence.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
So exciting!

I ended up sucking it up and working on TM last night, but I gotta tell you that it's so hard to open up a critique on a novel when you're being critted (less constructively, lmty) in real life.

:Hug2: :Hug2: :Hug2:

Congrats on getting to 52k! :D

Is this your first draft? Can you just write <Tum-ti-tum - Fill this in later> and go to point B? (Cos you can always tinker about with it in the next draft.)

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, first draft.

I'd never thought of putting a placeholder in and coming back to it. I have no idea why this idea never hit me. *slaps forehead* Great thinking Smiley and Netz! : )

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
No problema, chica. Glad we were helpful. Good luck with your first draft (those are always fun - at least I find it fun :D)

BTW, guys, this is the scene that never ends. I am so distracted by the internet. But I need it (playlist is online)... *sigh*

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Hello. :)

I'm usually on the TWFT thread, but I turned twenty two days ago, so I thought I would come on here too!

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Yeah, first draft.

I'd never thought of putting a placeholder in and coming back to it. I have no idea why this idea never hit me. *slaps forehead* Great thinking Smiley and Netz! : )

I finished a first draft earlier this year, and I just ploughed on through, writing basic stuff in parts just to keep the momentum flowing. It really helped (plus it also helps that I love the polishing stage so I knew I could come back to it later and make it better).

No problema, chica. Glad we were helpful. Good luck with your first draft (those are always fun - at least I find it fun :D)

BTW, guys, this is the scene that never ends. I am so distracted by the internet. But I need it (playlist is online)... *sigh*

Tell me about it, lol!

I'm usually on the TWFT thread, but I turned twenty two days ago, so I thought I would come on here too!

Welcome, lisalulu09! :welcome:

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Please, call me Lisa. :)

iTunes is being seriously annoying. It cuts off in the middle of songs.

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
I'm using Spotify *hugs Spotify* The only annoying thing is it is connected to FB so whenever I update my writing playlists, my friends know/giggle/laugh about it because I use acronyms instead of the real titles...

Lisa - Which fantasy in your avatar is your favorite?I'm partial to HP but CoN is a close second :D

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com

You can listen to music while writing? I have never been able to think with music in the background because I'm too busy singing along!

Yeah, first draft.

Oh yeah, I've done a placeholder before. Sometimes it's exactly what you need :)

Hi Lisa! I feel even older now, lol!

I'm using Spotify *hugs Spotify* The only annoying thing is it is connected to FB so whenever I update my writing playlists, my friends know/giggle/laugh about it because I use acronyms instead of the real titles...

Lisa - Which fantasy in your avatar is your favorite?I'm partial to HP but CoN is a close second :D

^ yeah that

Status
Not open for further replies.