Status
Not open for further replies.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Me too! I'm just happy it wasn't the transmission. These older Odysseys (mine is an 02) are known for crap transmissions, and I was terrified that was the problem, which would have been $2-3k...on my $6900 van, lol.

And another joyful event has cropped up in the last 30 minutes too! There is currently a large, black, un-neutered lab/pit mix running around in my yard terrorizing the outdoor cats, pissing all over our azaleas, and driving my Border Collie (who is indoors) insane. Called animal control, but I'm not sure how much faith I have in them.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
So sorry to hear about the van :(

I got 3.5k written last night - gonna try and match that tonight.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Got nothing done yesterday, as I had a crappy day and worked 11 hours. When I came home I just watched Glee (while still working, sigh) and ate ice cream until I felt better.

Today I plan to work on TM before the write-in, but I also have to get an oil change, crit my roomie's short story, call my parents, and hopefully nap (as my cats woke me up super-early yesterday and I couldn't fall asleep last night 'cuz I was pissed off)

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Just a side note Sage, every time I see your cover, I want a cherry sucker. The shading on the heart looks like a lolly, ha!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I totally wished for a heart lollipop with the words "love sucks" on it. I found an actual pic but it was after my cover was done.

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
Oh, blast, jb! Good car vibes to you.

Mine needs a new catalytic converter. And of course it had to blow a major emissions-related part this on an inspection year, instead of on the off year when I could save up bit by bit. (similar repair estimate to yours.)

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Oh, blast, jb! Good car vibes to you.

Mine needs a new catalytic converter. And of course it had to blow a major emissions-related part this on an inspection year, instead of on the off year when I could save up bit by bit. (similar repair estimate to yours.)

Thanks. No word from the mechanic yet. I'm starting to worry!

And yeah, they told me that I couldn't even drive it home yesterday because I could somehow melt the catalytic converter. Sorry you're having to deal with that mess!

So I'm showered, fed, and the kid is napping. Time to get a bit of writing done before all hell breaks loose again, lol!

Too bad I have no car, though, because I want candy now, too :p

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
We're having a cookout at work today to celebrate Memorial Day and apparently the grill got out of hand. The building filled with smoke and the fire alarm went off. Yes, it startled me and I jumped and almost squeaked. Then the blasted thing continued to blare. Flashing lights. The whole nine yards.

Now the building smells of smoke and burned meat. The lawn outside looks so fresh and lovely...

Oh, and I dropped strawberry shortcake down my low cut shirt. Everyone saw so I couldn't fish it out. I had to wiggle when they weren't looking and hope it fell. All in all, the cookout idea failed.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
We're having a cookout at work today to celebrate Memorial Day and apparently the grill got out of hand. The building filled with smoke and the fire alarm went off. Yes, it startled me and I jumped and almost squeaked. Then the blasted thing continued to blare. Flashing lights. The whole nine yards.

Now the building smells of smoke and burned meat. The lawn outside looks so fresh and lovely...

Oh, and I dropped strawberry shortcake down my low cut shirt. Everyone saw so I couldn't fish it out. I had to wiggle when they weren't looking and hope it fell. All in all, the cookout idea failed.

Sorry, but that last part made me smirk. I've so been there (not with strawberry shortcake, but other various and sundry items). I'm clumsy and large chested, so...yea.

Word from the mechanic is good! All of the spark plugs are ok, and worst case scenario is three ignition coils, though they are going to try replacing one at a time and hope it's only one or two that need it. So, hopefully less than $300 :D

And I got some revising of my chapter 1 done, and I'm making gnocchi for dinner! *woohoo*

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Yay!! That's much better news than you were expecting! Hoping it's only one. : )

The building finally cleared of smoke, but still smells of meat. Sometimes, I feel like I work for the company from "Office Space."

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the car problems. I drive an ancient Plymouth minivan and am just waiting for it to die. I love it and hate it for its reliability. Last week, I was sure it was done. Something was leaking and it shuddered a lot. While I dreamed of a shiny new vehicle, they replaced a cap when they changed my oil and fixed the problem for $12.

You just can't get rid of a vehicle like that! I think the rust will overtake the body and bore big holes in the sides before the engine dies.

On another note, I made note cards to map out scenes in my middle grade novel. It is a beautiful method and so easy, I don't have to think too much. I flip a card for the next scene and go there, write that.

So lovely. I will have to employ this method again, because I am easily lost in a novel and need a map.

I need to give my mc a quirk though, something he does like a hobby that is geeky and somehow relates to bipolar disorder without being too obvious.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Yeah, I never thought I'd be a minivan lover, but I have become one! When I was shopping for my Ody, the pickings were getting slim and I considered another make. Maybe I should have gone with a Plymouth!

And it's funny that you mention cards...I actually just bought some multicolored index cards last week, and was ready to write out scenes on them (one color per each first person POV character, as my WIP alternates between their voices each chapter). I actually feel like I may have moved past the first chapter issues that put the idea in my head in the first place, but it may still be an option I turn to at some point.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning everyone! :D

Good luck with the car problems, and also giving your mc a quirk Jill. I just gave my LI a love of history. Or I should say, he told me :tongue

I don't use index cards but, I do use an outline I saved on my computer- it saves my butt cause my WIP is told out of sequence/order.

Here to say :snoopy: I'm going to a wedding tonight (my cousin's) and last night I got to 47,000 words and the rest of my notes from my beta reader. So I am in a terrific mood.

My goal is to get these revisions completed by September 1st (*whistles innocently* gotta get back to Hogwarts, ya know), but at this point who knows. I think it's doable to get them done by Sept. 1st but then I need to send it back to my betas for one more round of looks.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Yay, Smiley!

I don't use note cards or outlines, but I start with a synopsis. The story usually doesn't stick to the synopsis, but it gives me direction. If I plan too much, my thoughts can't flow freely and the story doesn't progress organically. So, I don't write things down but plan them in my head and talk the story out with my hubby.

Which gives me an idea for today's blog post...to the blog!!

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Just popping in - morning - good luck with the writing guys.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
I love weddings! Have fun, Smiley :)

And yay! Only one ignition coil in the van needed replacing, so it ended up being about $175 w/ labor. The bad news, though, is that once one goes, the other 5 usually aren't but about a year behind.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
And yay! Only one ignition coil in the van needed replacing, so it ended up being about $175 w/ labor. The bad news, though, is that once one goes, the other 5 usually aren't but about a year behind.

WooHoo!!!

Sucks about the others, but maybe they'll hang in there.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
justbishop, maybe they will go out one at a time, spaced far enough apart that it doesn't hurt the pocketbook very much.

Or, you could sell the vehicle. Is it at that point yet?

I hear you should write the synopsis first...that it is actually easier that way because you are fresh and full of book idea. Rather than later, when rewrites beat you into looking at cracks in the corners of a manuscript.

Enjoy the wedding, Smiley. Do you have something nice to wear?

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Nah, we just bought it in mid March :(

And that's an interesting idea, writing a synopsis first. I've never been good at that (or outlining, really). I guess that's why my WIP novella is such a mess, lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.