Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
So, today I was driving behind this truck and thinking about Taylor (but really about Austin because I was trying to think of a song for him), and I realize that the Chevy in front of me says "Taylor" right on it. And I realize it actually says "by Taylor" and I giggle and think, "if it's 'by' Taylor, it's Taylor-made." ;) And then I look down at the license plate holder and what do you think it says there? "Taylor Made"

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if it would have sparked this book if I hadn't already had the idea. One of my first novels was inspired by a license plate (so it's kinda full circle-ish here).

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning! I'm cleaning today instead of writing/editing.

I'm also trying to work out a formatting problem I have with TM. Unfortunately I didn't know at the beginning that every time there's a jump in time where Taylor would have fallen asleep somewhere in there, I was going to insert a Justin or Austin scene, alternating between the two). The book starts off with a Justin scene (that is never ever moving), then I go to Taylor, jump in time, Taylor again, and then to Austin. So either I have to move all the Austin and Justin scenes down by one (some are in exactly the right place) or I have to have a repeated boy (Justin-Justin-Austin or Justin-Austin-Austin) or I need to just have this time jump without one. I'm kind of partial to the last choice because it gives Taylor a little more spotlight before I start shining it on the other boys, but it seems weird to have that one point where I skip it

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm having a similar problem with UZ. It alternates between Sam and Alex, but suddenly i realized the part that's going to be Sam's (the point i'm stuck at) would be much better under Alex.... but it just cant happen, so now I'm freaking out trying to figure out how to think like a guy when thinking about a girl.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Can you add a short scene to offset this one? Or not break in chapter where you do?

I have had this problem before. With Evie and Ace it was easier because we stuck with Evie for as long as she was Evie, without ever worrying about a chapter break. I numbered the scene breaks within each of their chapters (a la Agatha Christie books). I never worried about a scene being from the wrong POV because they almost never shared scenes (and when they did, it was clear when to shift).

But with some books (DownLoad, IaPT), I did have to face things like me wanting a break there for cliffhanger purposes, but not wanting to give up the POV I was in. The-novel-that-shall-not-be-named had such a problem with this in the beginning that I switched POVs every other chapter consistently through the novel to compensate for it. But never look at that as an example of what to do ;)

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Writing the chapter for Alex was hard enough even in a girl POV... I guess its not the matter that it would be better in Alex, it would probably just as equally hard to write, but I'm a girl, so it would be easier to get the thoughts right. I'm just really not good with/try to avoid at all cost, romance scenes. I've only just successfully managed to get used to writing flirting scenes. Kissing and other such scenes... I suck at, more so if its from a Guy POV. This is actually the first book were i ever even write from a guy POV at all so....

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, yes, I suck at romance scenes.

(totally did not just write a novel that's 2/3 romance scenes, nuh-uh, not me)

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
hahhahahahahahahahahaha!

My series has them sparingly thought it. I'm fine with writing romance things my MC like seeing two other characters falling in love and such, like my third book is, but when it comes to my MC being the one in love... its just a nightmare in the making. Hence why there is only a little in the 4th book, and then none till the end of the 7th.... then the 8th... well that damn Rob decided to screw everything up.

Seriously with him sometimes i wonder who the writer is... its like he really has a mind of his own.

Then i wrote TAJ as a fantasy, which ended up having a strong romance subplot... but i never thought that book was going to be any good to begin with, sadly i was mistaken. At least there is only two kisses in the entire book and those who read it said it was really sweet.

Now UZ... well that's more of a challenge then anything else, because there are "fade to black" scenes... and I'm just totally out of my element in that. A friend sugessed i dont even fade to black and I totally could NOT write anything like that... so now i'm stuck....

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
But lucky him, due to recent events, my MC's ends up marrying him, instead of horrible events that would have lead to a break up and then a very miserable life for him later on in the series as i had previously planned.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, well, see, it's good he took initiative then ;)

My characters taking initiative usually leads somewhere bad for them

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Why is it so hard to change a secondary character's name?

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
heheheeheheh! Don't get me started on character name changes.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Rosie just gave a passionate speech about BOIS rights. It was in her head the first time around and now we're in Taylor's POV, so I moved it to dialogue in the next scene. I just don't if it comes across as infodump or character-building (or both), lol. Or if it's too much repeat with what's already there. Sigh.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
OH MY GOD! I have the same exactly sort of problem right now!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
We seem to be sharing problems today, lol.

Are you, by any chance, realizing you need to take out some references to sex? Because that's what I'm doing right this second.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
hahahahah no. Right now with what i'm editing/rewriting my characters are only 13. All that stuff comes in WAY later in the series.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah this was the line from Taylor's POV:

"Do you happen to have good bio notes? I'm just awful at taking them." Every word was said with a huge pout. I half-expect her to pull out a lollipop and put it between her lips, then take off her coat to find a school girl's outfit underneath.
And I'm like, uh, no, Taylor, you would never have these thoughts, and if you did, you would basically blow up...

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
hahahahahahahaahah! Taylor and my character Tod would get along very well if that is the way he thinks.

Later in my books the stuff Tod and Jul say are just horrible. Or really the stuff Tod says and Jul slaps him for. Max ends up equally as bad, and Pip constantly puts his fingers in his ears to block everyone out.

I have the funniest scene all planned out for a later book where Laura is injured and needs stitches on her side, like right under her bra, and Pip (a doctor, and her boyfriend) freaks out and keeps saying he cant do it because he'll have to see her in her bra. heheheheehe.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds really cute (the stitches under the bra)

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah and it gets into a really funny

"You've seen me in a bikini before, what the hell is the difference!"

"Its not the same!"

Fight between the boys and girls.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered