Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Bummer! Did she give any suggestions for revisions or anything?

Nope.

She said she liked the book, the timing was great, the pacing was great, character chemistry was great - she just didn't fall wholly in love with it.

I have no idea what that means, but at least it was positive.

MysticPunk

Registered
Reaction score
Nope.

She said she liked the book, the timing was great, the pacing was great, character chemistry was great - she just didn't fall wholly in love with it.

I have no idea what that means, but at least it was positive.

It means that your writing was technically good but she didn't feel any emotional connection on her end. Like when you hear a song on the radio and it's not bad by any means but you don't like it just the same.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, PD, I actually experienced the "good book but didn't love it" thing with Demon's Lexicon. I rec it all the time, but for me, I never connected to the MC and never fell in love. But I think it's a good book with lots of great things going for it (and obviously it's well-loved by many people)

MysticPunk

Registered
Reaction score
That is a really good way to say it!. Thanks. :)

No problem. I used to write reviews for a hip hop website and had to learn to be very exact in why I did or did not like something. You'd be surprised how many rappers hate reviews that say "It's on beat and moves well but I didn't relate to the overall perspective."

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I got a full request right out of the gate, which rocked my socks off. I hope this kind of trend continues.

Tri

Yay!

Oh, yeah, PD, I actually experienced the "good book but didn't love it" thing with Demon's Lexicon. ...(and obviously it's well-loved by many people)

Well hopefully another agent will love it.

No problem. I used to write reviews for a hip hop website and had to learn to be very exact in why I did or did not like something. You'd be surprised how many rappers hate reviews that say "It's on beat and moves well but I didn't relate to the overall perspective."

How cool, and thanks again.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, man, maybe after Mulan's over. I'm supposed to be typing up beta notes during the movie, and I'm failing that too

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Hi guys, finally got my rejection letter on the Full.

She thought the book was great, she just didn't fall wholly in love with it. :/

*trying again with the next agent.

Sorry to hear that, parumpdragon. :Hug2: Keep your chin up! You want an agent who'll *love* your book, not just like it.

Just sent out the first package--chapters and synopsis for the brand new YA distopian. I got a full request right out of the gate, which rocked my socks off. I hope this kind of trend continues.

Tri

Congrats, triceretops! :D

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I know, ;) still a bit of a bummer though. :(

Hi Netz :hi: and hello to any lurkers too!

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I hope so. ;)

And I hope they predict good things for your case too! :)

yellowhammer

Registered
Reaction score
Just sent out the first package--chapters and synopsis for the brand new YA distopian. I got a full request right out of the gate, which rocked my socks off. I hope this kind of trend continues.

Tri

Awesome! Fellow Alabamian. I post in the Walking Dead thread too, and they're always like "I want Daryl on my team because of his mad survival skills." At which point I think to myself, "I'm from Alabama, Daryl wants to be on MY team!"

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score

Tri

Congrats!

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Is it weird that I am terrified of YAWNing? This is what I am afraid of: "I got bored after the first sentence and then skimmed to the bottom."

Nope, I think we all get that the first time we're going to YAWN something. :)

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
You can do it now. You can post in SYW anytime (actually, we quite encourage critiquing your way through your first 50 posts). You just can't create a new thread. :)

I'm up for posting in an hour if anyone else is playing (I realize people are prolly working)

Status
Not open for further replies.