Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
boy do I know that one right now - but I am tongue-biting because I am waiting to hear back on an MS.

shewritesbooks

write a lot, read a lot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susansoares.com
well I am now in the query waiting game and feeling like "what the heck do I do now?!!" With 4-8 week lead times for most queries I know I need to start a new project but it's SO overwhelming to start something new. I just busted out 15 ideas for books but none of them are singing to me if you know what I mean.

pixydust

Mother Flippin' Rhymnosorous
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowofthewood.com
I'm in waiting mode, too. For me it's super important to work on something else, get my mind off all the nail-biting. It's still tough, though, either way.

I usually get my next "good" idea while I'm about half way through an ms. And there's a spark, something that calls out to me--usually a character. And while I finish the ms I'm working on, I also take time to character journal and free-write on the next potential project. Then by the time I complete the other ms I can be excited about a new idea, and start seriously on that while waiting for notes from critique partners on the last draft of my other project. Kinda this back and forth thing.

Except I'm totally distracted by this novella I'm working on right now and not working on my new ms like a good girl. :S

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Hey - you're writing.

I wrote 500 words an fizzled out this morning. :(

pixydust

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowofthewood.com
Hey, 500 used to be my daily goal, so on the BAD days I could at least feel like I was accomplishing something. And I usually made up for it on the GOOD days.

I hope to get out 500 today...lol.

pixydust

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowofthewood.com
I hope you get good news on your sub. :)

I told my husband today that submitting to agents is like dating all over again. First they like your query and ask for the partial. Then they like the partial and ask for the full... he likes me, he really likes me! and then *thud*

It's like: I went out with this cute, aw-maw-zing guy (omg!), and it seemed wonderful! Like a dream! He kissed me when he took me home (we maybe even had a second date and made out a little) but then he didn't call. And didn't call. And by the time I was in such a frantic state, contemplating stalking him, he called me and said I wasn't his type, but wished me the best of luck.

:cry:

Bring on the Ben & Jerry's!

It's why subbing time should be called: fat-season. ;)

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Yes! THat is exactly what querying/subbing is like!

Only this time I skipped the 'partial' part. She just asked for the Full. That's why I'm a bit nervous. No extra step. :/

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Yes! THat is exactly what querying/subbing is like!

Only this time I skipped the 'partial' part. She just asked for the Full. That's why I'm a bit nervous. No extra step. :/

That's like going straight to bed w/them and then hoping the call you afterwards. :)

pixydust

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowofthewood.com
That's like going straight to bed w/them and then hoping the call you afterwards. :)

LOL...yes! And then you wander around, asking yourself, what's wrong with me? And you replay the night over and over in your head (re-read your ms a million times) trying to figure out what it is you might have done to scare them off.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
*Laughs!

Well, it says here on AW that once she ask for materials she will comment and if she thinks something needs inprovement - she gives you the chance to fix it and resub the MS! (I hope, I hope, I hope!) Or to sub another project.

Still, I just want her to tell me she likes it and wants to represent. Until then I will have a permanent knot in my stomach. :tongue

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Do they call?

I thought I'd just get an email. Now I'm nervous - I screen calls for telemarketers.

I've been getting a lot with it being tax season and with election stuff getting under way. :/

pixydust

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowofthewood.com
Do they call?

I thought I'd just get an email. Now I'm nervous - I screen calls for telemarketers.

I've been getting a lot with it being tax season and with election stuff getting under way. :/

Some call, some email. It depends. But I'm sure if she can't get ahold of you by phone she'll email you. No worries :)

yellowhammer

Registered
Reaction score
Hi y'all. Just checking in... LOL @ Pixie with your dating/submission analogy. This is why I'm glad I don't like ice cream!

Moni

Literary vampire Mongering words
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all! Just popping back in....I know that it's hard to keep track of me these days....hell....some days even "I" have trouble finding me! LOL I'm always able to check my Twitter feed though....so if y'all REALLY wanna get in touch with me....pop on over there! LOL

Anything new & exciting happening?? I'm still revamping Ava....want it to be GORGEOUS before I try to resub it. After all....I want my agent (not really MY agent...but the one that likes the work if it were revamped! hee hee!) to LOVE it as much as "I" do!

Waving to everyone! Heya Dragon....what's this about waiting on a call??? Did you submit????

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
i have an agent requested Full MS out on sub right now. That's my excitement.

ETA: your Twitter address has changed. That link in your sig doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.