Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Eh, not this year for us. Last year we had a hundred days over 100 degrees. We hadn't have that since 1992... so yeah. It was miserable!

Moni

Literary vampire Mongering words
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all! Just poking in!

Hey all! Just poking my head in moved out to San Francisco....things going a little slow here since I broke my ring finger & my wrist on the 18th of July. But now that I have my actual cast I can kinda type both handed again, even if it's stilted! LOL

Been missing everyone! Hope all is well with all!

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there Moni!

So sorry about the finger and wrist. It just figures doesn't it? Always something.

Hope your move went smoothly.

I've been exploring AW while you were gone. Pixy has been MIA too. She just popped back in on Fri or Sat...

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Hiya, Moni! :hi: Great to hear from you again. How on earth did you break your finger and wrist? Were your moving boxes really that heavy??! Hope you heal soon. :Hug2: How's San Francisco?

ETA: Oh, I've finally finished my revisions, btw - yay! :D

Kim Fierce

Attack me with everything you have.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimnflowers.blogspot.com
Hi! I've been around the site but not in YA much, although that is the kind of book I've written. I'm in the editing process, and have been working on my query letter and synopsis.

One of my biggest concerns right now is that I've always considered my book YA. The characters range in age from 8 to 13 and the MC is 13. So I have heard that perhaps my book is actually MG. I've been trying to figure out which I should market it as. I've done some research and so far it just makes me feel like the book toes the line. Would it be appropriate to classify the book as late MG/early YA? The book is about runaways and deals with abuse and decisions between right and wrong. The WC is currently 78,000. I've been reading MG books to get the feel for them and the main difference seems like most of them have fewer words and don't deal with quite the same the topics I do. There is sexual abuse in the book, although no graphic details. And later, two of the characters are revealed to be lesbians and enter a relationship. These are the main two reasons that make me hesitate to call the book MG, along with a larger than average word count for that age group.

Does anyone have any more examples of the differences between YA and MG?

Last edited:

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I have a house guest... Sphinx moth snipped...

Last edited:

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Kim, I think your post would have a greater response as a thread in the YA forum rather than in this thread. Personally, the age sounds more MG, yet the topic feels more YA to me. I think it might be a little too heavy for MG, but I've only read a few MG books, so I don't speak from total experience. I personally prefer an older protag (15-18), but that's just me. GL!

Hi guys! Just stopped in to say hi. Going to sleep now. Have a great night and see you mañana por la mañana :)

MONIIIIIIIIIIIIIII where art thou, girl? and how in the heck to did you do all that damage to yourself? Hope you are healing quickly. Be well.

misslissy

Only a sassbucket sometimes.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
womeneverywhere.wordpress.com
Yeah, with that Kim think about the age of your character and what they are doing. Like are these really younger characters? Like you don't identify the characters who have a relationship, but I would feel that if I read that they were the 8 year olds and having a relationship and I would be like ummmm are 8 year olds really like this? If you are worried about it towing the line between MG and YA, ask yourself, what is tieing my characters to this age group? Because if you have a plot that might work better with older characters, what is holding them to being younger characters.

Oh now I need to read up cause I basically just jumped back in.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Enjoy, Missy!

I'm good. Going to try and get at least another K into this WIP before I take the girls to the pool today. Beautiful day today.

Now I gots to get my butt off the puter and focus on writing. I will not allow myself back on the net until I write at least 1K. :)

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Ouch. Sorry about the headache MadSquirrel. I suffer from Migraines so trust me when I say, I know your pain. Feel better.

Okay, why the f@ck am I here? I only did 631 words. Dang it. I'm off to do at least another 369. I'm actually about to get into a really intense chase scene that will lead into the home stretch and final climatic scene. I can't believe I'm so close to finishing this WIP. I'm so excited about it and can't wait to get it beta read and query the crap out of it.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, pain meds are a god thing with that...

Hi guys, just working on a WIP. How are you? :hi:

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
yay! hit 1100. woot! and still going. so into this scene! $hit$ about to hit the fan! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.