Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys I am over the moon. I also found out I got past the 1st round of applications for an internship and I now move onto the 2nd round, where they narrow us down to 3 or 5 of us.
What a day!!!!! :D

yellowhammer

Registered
Reaction score
Symbols are so that the titles doesn't show up in search engines directing to our forum. **I think.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Symbols are so that the titles doesn't show up in search engines directing to our forum. **I think.

Ah, thanks :)

What's everyone up to? My Husband stayed home sick today, so I have the spawn out of the house at the mall play area to give him some peace and quiet. Brought my iPad thinking maybe I could get some writing done...we will see how that goes, lol!

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, thanks :)

What's everyone up to? My Husband stayed home sick today, so I have the spawn out of the house at the mall play area to give him some peace and quiet. Brought my iPad thinking maybe I could get some writing done...we will see how that goes, lol!

How do you like your iPad for writing? I just got one, and I'm using Pages to read over one of my WIPs. It can open and save Word docs, though the formatting doesn't convert exactly. I love the iPad, but I'm not sure about doing a lot of typing on it.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I just wrote "ZT" 'cuz I'm lazy. I don't do the symbol thing except as shorthand.

Smiley, I have just enough energy in me to be all, "Yaaaaay!" for you. :partyguy:

And that was it. I'm probably going to be grumpy for the rest of the summer. Apparently my crappy week that started last Wednesday didn't end yesterday like a week should. My supervisor won't listen to reason and seems to think I'm five-years-old, and now I get to spend even more time with him because he's decided to change my schedule, so yippee. My gym has screwed me out of money and apparently that's never going to be resolved unless I want to leave them, which I don't. At least it's not hot enough to boil water in my house anymore.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
I don't prefer it for really heavy duty writing, but I've pounded out 1500 words or so at a sitting at Sbux several times before without too much trouble. I've got the Storyist app, but find it kind of "meh". I will have to check out Pages. I've been using the notes thing that comes with the iPad, and it works for the small amount of writing I do on it.

I do love my iPad in general, though. I have the first gen one, and have seen no reason to spend the cash to upgrade to one of the newer models.

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
My mom has an iPad and loves it (she commutes into NYC, so she reads on her iPad on her commute). :) I get sick when I try to read on anything mobile (even if its not moving).

Sorry to hear you're having a grumpy summer, Sage. :( I hope it gets better. Think positive.

Ashley, I hope you get more writing done. I'm a bit stuck with mine-I need to add a conversation and I keep having great character dialogue when I'm half asleep and too lazy to write or type it down. :roll: Why isn't there a machine that can take what I am thinking and type/write it for me?

I just found out I am invading Europe in August :D So excited.. I've never been!

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
I have a first generation iPad too. Never wrote on it. I do play a lot of Plants Vs. Zombies.

Sorry about the extended crappiness this week, Sage. It's not always easy to get out of a gym membership.

Aslera

Not an exact science
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have the nook tablet? How does it hold up?

I read ZT, and 5O Shades (all three, surprisingly...disliked all of them, though I suppose the middle one came the closest to entertaining me, but eh. I spend most of my evenings after work at B&N and I have a rule against criticizing books I've never read).

I'm working on book 3 of a new series, and realizing at some point I need to stop writing new stories and start revising and editing the ones I've written in the last 8 weeks so I can actually consider querying them. While I try not to complain because I like having ideas and storylines and characters I absolutely adore, I wish there was a way for me to revise and edit the story before this one, and write this one at the same time. But my brain struggles with that. Sigh.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have the nook tablet? How does it hold up?

I have a regular (either first or second gen) Nook, which I love. Not sure about the tablet, but it depends on what you want to do with it. I still prefer my Nook for reading books, though I do like that I can read on my iPad with the nook app and then pick up the same book later on the Nook.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
I'm working on book 3 of a new series, and realizing at some point I need to stop writing new stories and start revising and editing the ones I've written in the last 8 weeks so I can actually consider querying them. While I try not to complain because I like having ideas and storylines and characters I absolutely adore, I wish there was a way for me to revise and edit the story before this one, and write this one at the same time. But my brain struggles with that. Sigh.

I'm the same way. I even have a hard time reading anything else while I'm still working on a story (which is why my Kindle is feeling all neglected at the moment). I have a new story screaming "WRITE ME, DEVELOP ME, FOR THE LOVE OF GODDDDDSSSS!!!" right now, but I can't get into even planning it until I've sorted out my current WIP (which, of course, might need to be rewritten in a different POV, AND greatly expanded. Yay.)

Ashley, I hope you get more writing done. I'm a bit stuck with mine-I need to add a conversation and I keep having great character dialogue when I'm half asleep and too lazy to write or type it down. :roll: Why isn't there a machine that can take what I am thinking and type/write it for me?

I just found out I am invading Europe in August :D So excited.. I've never been!

Wouldn't that be the best?! I could totally have used that about 5 years ago, when I was recording interviews on my mp3 player and then having to transcribe them myself. That was the absolute worst.

But that's awesome about Europe! What sort of trip?

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the extended crappiness this week, Sage. It's not always easy to get out of a gym membership.
Actually, I don't want out of my membership. Nor did I want out of my personal training contract, which cancelled suddenly for no reason even though it was supposed to auto-renew (3 months after it cancelled)

Anyway, my day only got worse, sigh.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
I'm still around for a bit :)

So, I got some writing done today, and it put my novella WIP up past the 20k word mark, so that's good! However, I have reports back from my 2 current betas about how much of the existing stuff needed condensing, so I'm sure that will take me back down under it, lol.

Anyone else made any progress today?

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
No progress here. :( I hung out with friends instead. :snoopy:

And I think somebody on the last page asked about my Europe invasion :tongue I'm going to Switzerland for 2 weeks to visit my cousins. :D

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
Oooh, Switzerland! Jealous.

I'm trying to decide if I want to raid my savings account to present a paper in Berlin in August. It's a tiny bit of CV fodder, but mostly it would just be blowing money on a vacation in Germany. My brother might join me, though, and he lives in Thailand (I'm in the US) and I only see him once a year or every other, so that'd be a reason to go...

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Well to be honest, I'm going to Switz because my family lives there. So not sure if "invasion to Europe" is truthful :tongue

And I say - go for it. Especially when family is involved. But then again I'd also look at expenses, etc. to make sure I could afford it and it would work around my work schedule and other engagements.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
It is pretty rare anyone regrets traveling, especially if you see family along the way. Go, enjoy it. Don't feel guilty.

Switzerland would be awesome, but the one thing I would want to do is ski. Can you ski in the summer in Switzerland?

I made writing progress. I am rewriting a MG novel. I thought they would be revisions, turned out I am rewriting the whole thing. Going at it with about 1,000 words a day, which isn't bad for a slowpoke like me.

Have you thought about going in another room to work on the other WIP? Write notes in a notebook for one while writing/revising the other? I can work on several projects at once. I just need a bit of separation.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
That might work, Jill. I have been doing a little note taking on the new idea, but I'm really the type of person who just needs to sit down with a blank page, pick a scene it of thin air, and start writing to really get going. Tis week is pretty busy, but I might take my iPad to Sbux sometime soon and just go at it, banning myself from thinking about the WIP in the polishing stage.

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
Oooh, going into another room sounds like a great idea.

And I feel you, Jill. I'm rewriting my YA. Well, actually, what I'm doing is trying to figure out why the harddrive on my laptop has filled up to within 3 gigs of its capacity and despite my deleting 20 gigs of data (and emptying the recycle bin), refuses to acknowledge that it should have 23 GB free.

Sigh. Where is my writing time?

Status
Not open for further replies.