Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

5398cane

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Why is it that at times you stare at a blank page hoping to add anything, and others you look up a couple of pages (or more) later and try to remember where that came from ?

5398cane

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Have y'all read Divergent ? Enclave ? Gone series ?

If you liked the hunger games you may like these.

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Divergent was actually written by an old member of this thread. I remember when the offers came in. Man, that was exciting. I believe Sage would remember it as well.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I adore Divergent, and I definitely remember when Veronica Roth was a member

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Just curious because I've noticed the trend. When people who were originally on here get big, why do most of them stop coming on? Are they not allowed too? I've never actually met any of these people, but i always hear about it, like "OH that person was a member of AW" or "that person was a TWFTie," or something like that...

Probably a stupid question, but i'm curious.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
AW is very public, and it is really easy to say really stupid things among the multitudes of threads you can get lost in. A lot of these people were TWFT/OPWFT/RM posters, and there's a lot of crazy stuff in those threads. I know *some* AWers have moved on because of that, for sure. I don't know if most or all of them did so because of that.

I think people also just get busy and you have to limit your time online to certain spots. Their time on AW may just dwindle to nothing and then it's gone.

I think there are some that decide that they can "move on." They've learned all they think they can from AW, now they're published, time to move on.

There are several big names that still are publishing and still contribute their time to AW. Some of the mods come immediately to mind.

But I think in some ways if you make it big like Veronica did, it gets harder to be in the same place where you want to socialize in the TWFT thread, maybe, but people may be joining it and find you and go, "OMG, I LOVE YOUR BOOK! I'M YOUR BIGGEST FAN!" I can see that being uncomfortable. (I'm reminded of being on the official Serenity (movie) forums way back when, and, when Adam Baldwin posted, he wanted to talk politics, and he'd say thanks to squeeing over his presence, but he'd expect to move on after that and talk about current events).

There may also be pressure from publishers or agents to limit their time in public forums like this.

It's going to depend on the person.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, I've always wondered and i think all your points make sense!

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com
I've never read the books. I looked up the premise on Wiki and that was enough for me. I generally don't read those kind of books.

:) Hi :hi:

When I first looked up the premise, I also thought, "What? No way. Why would I want to read that?" - But then, with all the raving that was going on about it (the first book), I gave in. And I loved it. Then bought the subsequent books when they came out.

You never know, is my point, I guess. ;)

Also, I totally support YA books to film. We need more of that "acceptance" for the future of our products! :D

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, I know I had 16 beta reads for LS (at least two were from the same person, though). 8 were before the major overhaul and 8 were after.

For some reason, even though I save everything, I cannot find 6 of them. 2 people I can't find definitely read it, so that leaves me with 4 people to figure out. I don't want to leave people off the acknowledgements.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
I only got to give you feedback on your synop for the superhero book, but I loved it just the same :)

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
:D

Someday, maybe. I'm still querying H/V. In April, though, I'll probably slow down even more with it and focus on IaPT queries. I decided April was when it was safe to query Christmas novels again ;)

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
All right, time to work on TM.

BTW, the scene I wrote in the notebook ended up being awesome, but unfortunately, I'm a few chapters away from it.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
lalala, I've written 4K in TM so far today and sent off my acknowledgements and dedication for LS off to my editor. That pretty much finishes off my end of LS, afaik.

Shit is hitting the fan in TM. I kinda want to stay in this cafe all day and continue, but at some point, I'll have to leave

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
lalala, I've written 4K in TM so far today and sent off my acknowledgements and dedication for LS off to my editor. That pretty much finishes off my end of LS, afaik.

Shit is hitting the fan in TM. I kinda want to stay in this cafe all day and continue, but at some point, I'll have to leave

That's the best part! I love when everything just falls apart for the protag. :)

After epic revisions, I started querying the current MS this week. :hooray: I'm giving myself a week, then back into the writing cave for the next project.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
hello everyone!

I haven't been able to write my WIP in like two weeks....

Status
Not open for further replies.