• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Old North, A Literary Agency (G. Mac Mackie)

TheAntar

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I'm curious if anybody knows anything about G Mac Mackie at Old North?

I've searched the forums extensively to no avail so far.

Thanks!

pilot27407

Sockpuppet
Banned
Registered
Reaction score
No experience as an agent but the editorial stints more than make up for it.
He should know to whom to submit what and be able to help a manuscript shine.
Plus, as a new agent on the block, he should be willing to work extra hard on behalf of his authors.
Give the man a try, I would say.

Empress Awesome

I bite. Taco look-a-likes beware.
Registered
Reaction score
Over there! Can't you see my canoe house?
Website
empressawesome.blogspot.com
PM lists no sales, which makes sense because he's new. But a deal search for "Mackie" turns up zero results, which makes me wonder if he actually acquired anything as an editor.

So, he was trained as an editor but never got any real experience, or what? At least his website is cute.

Leonidas

sui generis
Registered
Reaction score
Pilot, I agree that he might be worth a try. From my point of view, the worst that can happen is that he expresses a strong interest in your book, you question him thoroughly about his contacts and ask which editors/publishers he has in mind to submit it to, and you decide he doesn't sound like a good enough risk and tell him thanks anyway. Another possibility, of course, is that he knows a fair number of editors, does have one or two in mind, and is able to sell your book.

SeymourPats

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I'm naive but I don't find his lack of experience on the agent-side troubling. He worked as an editor at some great places. He must have great connections, which is half the battle for an agent. Also, he probably has a great editorial eye, as well as a real sense of what publishers want.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I think it's jumping the gun to assume this guy was an editor. From the About Us page of the agency website:

"During my time in New York City, I gained experience in the editorial departments at both Farrar, Straus and Giroux and William Morrow/HarperCollins, with a brief interlude in the marketing department of Harper Perennial."

Prestigious publishers indeed. However, he doesn't say what kind of editorial experience, or how long these jobs lasted. He may have been an administrative assistant
, or possibly a temp (if he actually worked as an editor, why not simply say so?), or held the jobs for only a few months (saying that he moved to NY "during the most difficult time to find a job in publishing since the inception of the printing press" suggests sometime during the economic downturn of 2008, which in turn suggests pretty short tenures)--in which case I'd question the amount of relevant experience he gained.

I'm not questioning the intent here, just the level of expertise.

- Victoria

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
TheAnter, I received a request for my full MS and I am sending it, so I'll let you know how it goes. Also, someone has written on their blog that Mackie is her rep and spoke very highly of him:

"Thanks to the leadership and guidance of our literary agent, G. Mac Mackie of Old North Agency, TJ and I feel confident that The Human Candidate will be placed in the hands of the best editors and publishers in the literary industry. Mr. Mackie has gone above and beyond what we expected in an agent, and TJ and I feel very blessed to have him on board."

Here's the link to the blog: http://toryminus.blogspot.com/

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
I have had a full out with Mr. Mackie for nearly six months. Haven't heard a peep, even after several nudges. I'm closing this one out.

I've had a full out with Mr. Mackie since early 2011. I wrote this agency off a long time ago, even after he confirmed receipt, and promised to get back to me within a certain time frame. Oh, well. Does anyone know if this agency is still active, or has been successful in sales?

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
I couldn't find anything on Publisher's Marketplace either for him or his agency. And while that doesn't meant there aren't any sales, it's also not exactly comforting.

Lightfoot

Registered
Reaction score
in doing my research on Publishers Marketplace I came across G. Mac Mackie and Old North Literary Agency. Per his contact sheet on that site it says he pepresents:
General fiction Mystery Juvenile fiction Biography Business/investing/finance History Religious Travel Cookbooks Sports Science Horror Fiction

He is active on twitter and seems adequately jacked-in to the NY publishing scene even though he is based in NC. I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I will submit to him, but I will update this thread on the happenings should I choose to.

Good luck everyone!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
According to his LinkedIn page, agency closed in Jan '13.