Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Old North, A Literary Agency (G. Mac Mackie)

practical experience, FTW TheAntar's Avatar

Old North, A Literary Agency (G. Mac Mackie)

Hello, I'm curious if anybody knows anything about G Mac Mackie at Old North?

I've searched the forums extensively to no avail so far.

Thanks!
    Currently I am:

-sending out a partial! Woo hoo!
    -waiting for news on some short story submissions
    -attending broadcast school

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

I bite. Taco look-a-likes beware. Empress Awesome's Avatar
    Over there! Can't you see my canoe house?
    It doesn't look like he has any experience with agents-- no internships or anything. Just publishers.
    Bloggius Maximus
    Tweety Tweet!

"The only thing we have to fear are the cricket-spiders infesting the garage (just wait till it happens to you)." --FDR (but not really)

Egregious Acts of Innocence= Thriller/Horror/Contemporary= wip, 22k so far, first draft, giving me an ulcer

PM lists no sales, which makes sense because he's new. But a deal search for "Mackie" turns up zero results, which makes me wonder if he actually acquired anything as an editor.
    http://www.staciakane.com

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

practical experience, FTW
    No experience as an agent but the editorial stints more than make up for it.
    He should know to whom to submit what and be able to help a manuscript shine.
    Plus, as a new agent on the block, he should be willing to work extra hard on behalf of his authors.
    Give the man a try, I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by Stacia Kane View Post
    PM lists no sales, which makes sense because he's new. But a deal search for "Mackie" turns up zero results, which makes me wonder if he actually acquired anything as an editor.
    So, he was trained as an editor but never got any real experience, or what? At least his website is cute.
    Bloggius Maximus
    Tweety Tweet!

"The only thing we have to fear are the cricket-spiders infesting the garage (just wait till it happens to you)." --FDR (but not really)

Egregious Acts of Innocence= Thriller/Horror/Contemporary= wip, 22k so far, first draft, giving me an ulcer

Pilot, I agree that he might be worth a try. From my point of view, the worst that can happen is that he expresses a strong interest in your book, you question him thoroughly about his contacts and ask which editors/publishers he has in mind to submit it to, and you decide he doesn't sound like a good enough risk and tell him thanks anyway. Another possibility, of course, is that he knows a fair number of editors, does have one or two in mind, and is able to sell your book.
    bene vale vobis

web site- http://www.Nardopublishing.com
    Wikipedia article- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Nardo

Latest published books:

The Epics of Greek Mythology
    The Gods and Goddesses of Greek Mythology
    The Scientific Revolution
    Classical Civilization: Greece
    Classical Civilization: Rome

practical experience, FTW
    Maybe I'm naive but I don't find his lack of experience on the agent-side troubling. He worked as an editor at some great places. He must have great connections, which is half the battle for an agent. Also, he probably has a great editorial eye, as well as a real sense of what publishers want.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    I think it's jumping the gun to assume this guy was an editor. From the About Us page of the agency website:

"During my time in New York City, I gained experience in the editorial departments at both Farrar, Straus and Giroux and William Morrow/HarperCollins, with a brief interlude in the marketing department of Harper Perennial."

Prestigious publishers indeed. However, he doesn't say what kind of editorial experience, or how long these jobs lasted. He may have been an administrative assistant
    , or possibly a temp (if he actually worked as an editor, why not simply say so?), or held the jobs for only a few months (saying that he moved to NY "during the most difficult time to find a job in publishing since the inception of the printing press" suggests sometime during the economic downturn of 2008, which in turn suggests pretty short tenures)--in which case I'd question the amount of relevant experience he gained.

I'm not questioning the intent here, just the level of expertise.

- Victoria

See, this is why I go on this site. Everyone's so insightful!
    Bloggius Maximus
    Tweety Tweet!

TheAnter, I received a request for my full MS and I am sending it, so I'll let you know how it goes. Also, someone has written on their blog that Mackie is her rep and spoke very highly of him:

"Thanks to the leadership and guidance of our literary agent, G. Mac Mackie of Old North Agency, TJ and I feel confident that The Human Candidate will be placed in the hands of the best editors and publishers in the literary industry. Mr. Mackie has gone above and beyond what we expected in an agent, and TJ and I feel very blessed to have him on board."

Here's the link to the blog: http://toryminus.blogspot.com/

I have had a full out with Mr. Mackie for nearly six months. Haven't heard a peep, even after several nudges. I'm closing this one out.

Quote Originally Posted by popgun62 View Post
    I have had a full out with Mr. Mackie for nearly six months. Haven't heard a peep, even after several nudges. I'm closing this one out.
    I've had a full out with Mr. Mackie since early 2011. I wrote this agency off a long time ago, even after he confirmed receipt, and promised to get back to me within a certain time frame. Oh, well. Does anyone know if this agency is still active, or has been successful in sales?

I couldn't find anything on Publisher's Marketplace either for him or his agency. And while that doesn't meant there aren't any sales, it's also not exactly comforting.

Quote Originally Posted by Thedrellum View Post
    I couldn't find anything on Publisher's Marketplace either for him or his agency. And while that doesn't meant there aren't any sales, it's also not exactly comforting.
    I couldn't find anything related to Old North on PM as well.

I personally know some authors that are repped by him. One is still writing her non-fiction book: http://toryminus.blogspot.com/

Also, according to the website, Mr. Mackie has made a sale: http://www.oldnorthagency.com/?page_id=21

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Lightfoot's Avatar
    in doing my research on Publishers Marketplace I came across G. Mac Mackie and Old North Literary Agency. Per his contact sheet on that site it says he pepresents:
    General fiction Mystery Juvenile fiction Biography Business/investing/finance History Religious Travel Cookbooks Sports Science Horror Fiction

He is active on twitter and seems adequately jacked-in to the NY publishing scene even though he is based in NC. I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I will submit to him, but I will update this thread on the happenings should I choose to.

Good luck everyone!

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse Foinah's Avatar
    I queried him a few months ago and haven't heard a peep yet. Going to mark it as a non-response.
    Release date 10/24/2014
    ebook and print

Yes...I have an author site! It's keen!
    Short stories available for amazon kindle : Support my coffee habit
    Smoking Monkeys have all the fun. Yes, yes we do. Smoking Simian Scribbles (pssst, it's a blog)

Stop in, have a cup of tea and a smile, and say Hello in the Pagan Forum

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    According to his LinkedIn page, agency closed in Jan '13.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: