Status
Not open for further replies.

Juliette Wade

Interprets for aliens
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talktoyouniverse.blogspot.com
If you're worldbuilding and/or language designing for your WIP and you'd like feedback, I've just started an ongoing workshop called "Wednesday Worldbuilding Workshop" over at my blog. I take 500 word submissions and discuss them in depth. Information about how to submit is here. Examples of the first two week's submissions can be found here, and here, for those who are curious.

Thanks to moderator ChaosTitan who gave me permission to post this, since it's particularly relevant to science fiction and fantasy folk!

Do pass this on to any of your friends who may be interested. I hope to see you over there.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I don't get it - if it's about worldbuilding, why take submissions of 500 words of story? Wouldn't it make more sense to take submissions of 500 words of non-fiction describing the worldbuilding? :Huh: If I picked the first 500 words of one of my stories there would be hardly any worldbuilding in there.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
I don't get it - if it's about worldbuilding, why take submissions of 500 words of story? Wouldn't it make more sense to take submissions of 500 words of non-fiction describing the worldbuilding? :Huh: If I picked the first 500 words of one of my stories there would be hardly any worldbuilding in there.

The world building, however much you have of it written down is only functional in the context of the story. If the story fails to convey all the world building that's been done in a seperate document then the manuscript has failed. Readers of your book will probably never see all the world buiding you've done. Their only knowledge will come from the text. So the world building needs to be apparent in the manuscript.

P.S. I gotta send some words in!! HOW do we submit? Just e-mail it in to you?

Got it! Sent my exceprt! This is fun! I hope I get picked :)

Last edited:

Juliette Wade

Interprets for aliens
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talktoyouniverse.blogspot.com
Getting back to you... Thanks for your interest, Marina!

Sunandshadow, the idea of the workshop is to take a look at these small excerpts and see what kind of information from the writer's vision has actually made it onto the page. It's particularly useful for considering world entry issues. I'd encourage you to take a look at the opening workshop discussions to see more precisely what I'm doing.

CheG, thanks for you interest! You can submit in my comments area on the blog, here.

Status
Not open for further replies.