• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta reader for mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.

efultz

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I wrote a mystery novel, and now I'm looking for a beta reader (or few). I'd be happy to repay the favor! I've done a few revisions, but I'm struggling to distance myself enough to look at the big picture.

I'd really like someone who will give constructive criticism (though a few positive comments are always welcome!). My main concerns are plot, characterization, pace, and whether clues are too subtle/too obvious.

For a very brief synopsis: [FONT=&quot]Jordan Bale is a college student who stumbles into the world of detecting by way of an administrative conspiracy, the murder of her favorite professor, and a serial rapist targeting campus. And one of these criminals is stalking her.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I'd love to find someone to work with, whether it's to trade one manuscript or to build a lasting beta relationship.
[/FONT]

juliatheswede

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Efultz,

I'll give beginning of your novel a go. Will PM you now.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm impressed with the generous spirit of the first two replies. A person whose very first post asks for people to beta a whole book, without having even attempted to be a part of the AW community, is asking us to take the risk of expending a lot of effort with no return for one's self or the site.

Not to say the efultz is like that. I have no idea, and of course I hope he or she becomes an active asset to the AW community. It's just that I, personally and unlike others, am leery of doing this much for someone who arrives with their hand out, seeking a big favor, and hasn't been back in five days.

efultz, are you still around? Join in and get acquainted with us all, won't you? The Mystery board is an active and busy one, and of course the 'fun' boards are great for making friends within the AW community.

Maryn, who sounds like a bitter old woman but isn't--really!

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with the bitter old woman. I think Efultz let go a single drive-by shot and then forgot us.

Me, I'm so desperate for a fellow mystery writer with whom to trade chapters that I sent not one but two PMs, in case the first one got lost.

No reply, proving the bitter old woman--as usual--is spot on.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Later today I'll be on the sidewalk, shaking my broom at the kids on their bikes.

I'm acutely aware that ever since AW instituted its 50-post policy for writers seeking critique at the various SYW boards, more new arrivals are posting here seeking feedback. It doesn't take a huge leap to see it's because there's no requirement that they contribute to the AW community before asking it for something.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
We're seeing a lot of this lately--first time posters asking for a Beta Reader. I like to call it "drive-by beta requests". They never come back and post. When I was a willing beta reader (listed in the thread), I got PMs from people who NEVER posted!!!!!!!! AW is a community, not a beta one-stop shop. :Soapbox: [I'm not saying this will apply to efultz because, a) s/he just joined in January 2011, and b) too early to tell. But.............first post upon joining is asking for a beta. Go figure!

****Can we set a post requirement for requesting beta readers on AW?? Mods?? Anyone?? :Shrug:

I'll join the Bitter Old Lady too (I have a broom and I know how to use it!) and suggest posters contribute before asking for something. Give before you take.

Last edited:

efultz

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. After posting this message, I was sent to the hospital for routine blood pressure monitoring and had a very unexpected emergency C section. My daughter is in the NICU, so please send good thoughts rather than nasty. To juliatheswede and BarbaraKE - I would still love to work with you, but I couldn't be very timely with it at the moment. I'll read your PMs and reply.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sheesh, efultz! Our warmest thoughts for your and your daughter for quick and complete recoveries. We're around 24-7 if you need people to listen to you worry, or to distract you.

Maryn, with a hug

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My daughter is in the NICU, so please send good thoughts rather than nasty.

Hat-in-hand, I apologize to you two ladies for my nasty too-quick-on-the-trigger comment about a drive-by shot. My better thoughts and heartfelt prayers are with you both.

Private condolences are on the way.

Chase, very sorry nasty old man

Status
Not open for further replies.