Does anyone know anything about this new e-press?
The owner/editor is Theresa Miles; the website is registered in her name. They're looking for both short stories and novels in the F/SF genre.
What looks good: they pay 5 cents per word for short stories (nearly pro rates!).
What I see as red flags:
1. There's no info about advance/royalties for novels, other than their manuscript contest, in which they offer "a reasonable agreed upon rate of revenue sharing".
2. They're soliciting suggestions from readers of the website as to what type of books they should publish (I expect a small press to have identified an underserviced niche and to specialise in it, not to have total strangers tell them what that niche should be).
3. Since they've not yet gone live there's no publications I can read and compare to other e-presses/zines.
4. There's no list of forthcoming publications, which suggests they've not got name authors on board for their launch.
5. The editor/owner uses too many run-on sentences.
6. I've never heard of Theresa Miles. Her LinkedIn profile doesn't suggest she has any background in publishing. I'm pretty sure she's not this Theresa Miles, who has published a bunch of books, at least three through iUniverse.
7. Fae describes themselves as "a new way of doing business in the the Indie publishing industry of Science Fiction and Fantasy."