Naming religious orders?

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
If...

it were me I would do as Jess suggests. I'd keep the real order and name but make darned sure I put in that author's note at the front of the book!

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
Ah, pdr, thank you. Also same suggestion come from a pm and in an email.

I guess, although somehow I have a nun taking over control of my story LOL - I've got to the stage both the Order and the main plot can't help but be intermingled. I guess I'd truely like to keep the name of the Order, but I fear some scenes might not come across as respectful, when I feel the Order needs to be respected.

Contradictory, I know. I guess, I just need to work out a way to get the entire story out in a respectful manner.

Sigh.

My next WIP is about walking down to the shop to get a bacon and egg sandwich. :D

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, pdr, thank you. Also same suggestion come from a pm and in an email.

I guess, although somehow I have a nun taking over control of my story LOL - I've got to the stage both the Order and the main plot can't help but be intermingled. I guess I'd truely like to keep the name of the Order, but I fear some scenes might not come across as respectful, when I feel the Order needs to be respected.

Contradictory, I know. I guess, I just need to work out a way to get the entire story out in a respectful manner.

Sigh.

My next WIP is about walking down to the shop to get a bacon and egg sandwich. :D

LOL! Very controversial! Are the eggs from free range chicks? Was the pig responsibly reared and farmed? Is the bread white/wholemeal/granary or something exotic? What about the carbon footprint ... my point is that if someone wants to find a fault they will. If you write something that is honest to your work and it is pertinent then it is respectful even if the actual content isn't. I hope that makes sense ...

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Cooee - I agree with Jess and pdr. That order was not the only entity that dealt with things in the 60's in a manner that would be scorned or unlawful today. The US and all the segregation issues is a good example of something similar. And there are other examples.

Even though you've said you weren't writing a historical this time, I'd say you are. Write the story the way it should be written and include an author's note. Puma