Wordpress Blog help

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to start up a blog...

So my uncle, who hosts my website has me set up through wordpress. I'm supposed to play with it, then we'll transfer things over and maybe give it another URL even. I don't know, didn't ask.

I want to use this:
http://www.pyzam.com/bloggertemplates/category/coffee

as a background. It looks good, suits my theme, whatever. BUT. It needs a different color in the center. I'd like a brown background with white text.

How? It's been a looooong time since I set up my last blog. I was okey dokey with HTML stuff... I'm not really tech savvy though, so talk really slowly and use words and not too many acronyms.

Thanks.

Deleted member 42

Converting a blogger template to a Wordpress template is a PITA.
Also, possibly not legal in terms of copyright.

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Well then, that makes it easy!

I'll go searching for something different. :badthoughts:

rihannsu

Mrs. Bruce Wayne
Registered
Reaction score
From what I understand, for free themes and Wordpress hosted sites, changing the themes can be next to impossible usually.

There is a CSS upgrade that you can buy that will apparently let you tinker with things like font. Or you could fork up the money for a Premium theme. The premiums can run from about $60 to $250 USD.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
From what I understand, for free themes and Wordpress hosted sites, changing the themes can be next to impossible usually.

There is a CSS upgrade that you can buy that will apparently let you tinker with things like font. Or you could fork up the money for a Premium theme. The premiums can run from about $60 to $250 USD.

This is untrue. Themes in Wordpress are CSS and HTML, you can download and edit them or edit them right from Wordpress. These options are under the appearance menu. Downloading a theme to work on it means you download it from the site and upload it to the theme directory via FTP.

Deleted member 42

This is untrue. Themes in Wordpress are CSS and HTML, you can download and edit them or edit them right from Wordpress. These options are under the appearance menu. Downloading a theme to work on it means you download it from the site and upload it to the theme directory via FTP.

It doesn't work that way on free WordPress sites at Wordpress.com; you have to pay to have the equivalent of admin access, and even then, you don't have anything like the same level of access you have on a self-hosted WordPress site. I think Rihannsu was thinking that amyashley the OP was hosted at wordpress.com.

The OP would appear to have a self-hosted site, but since she didn't set it up, she might not be the Admin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com

Yes. Wordpress and its advocates warn against themes that put in ad code or force you to link to their website. Themes on the Wordpress site must be free of code which may harm, advertise or force your site to link back them.

Many themes list the author in the footer. This can be removed by clicking on Appearance, Editor, footer.php.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
It doesn't work that way on free WordPress sites at Wordpress.com; you have to pay to have the equivalent of admin access, and even then, you don't have anything like the same level of access you have on a self-hosted WordPress site.

The OP would appear to have a self-hosted site, but since she didn't set it up, she might not be the Admin.

That's true at the free hosted sites at Wordpress.com. It's 14.97 a year to use custom CSS on Wordpress.com. However you can use your own CSS similar to a child theme on the downloaded version of Wordpress. My point being is no more difficult in editing CSS normally, which rihannsu indicated is impossible. That's just not the case.