Interesting e-mail...

Blake M. Petit

Geek Pundit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.evertimerealms.com
I got an e-mail today informing that because my book "has not recorded any sales in over a year" I'm being offered the opportunity to have the rights restored to me for a mere $149 "processing fee."

Thing is -- and I haven't dug out my copy of the contract to double-check the exact date -- I'm almost positive my contract expires in March anyway.

Hmm. Suggestions?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Check your contract.

If you don't have plans for rewriting and resubmitting your book before your contract expires you lose nothing by waiting it out (as I am, and I have 3.5 years to go yet).

You also should check what happens at the end of your 7 years. I understand some PA contracts automatically renew unless you inform them in writing you wish NOT to renew.

Blake M. Petit

Geek Pundit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.evertimerealms.com
Thanks, Chris.

I do have a few thoughts about what to do with the book once the rights are mine again, but nothing I'm not willing to wait out if it will save me from having to give them a dime.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
If your rights do revert back to you in March, I'd wait it out. I agree with Chris, double check your contract to see if you need to notify PA in writing. My contract stated that if I didn't contact them and state that I didn't want my contract to renew, it would automatically do so for another seven years. Eep!

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
What Chris said. Look at your contract and see what they state happens at the end of the seven year period. Follow whatever it says to the letter.

I agree that it's not worth the money to hold out a couple of months or so.

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got an e-mail today informing that because my book "has not recorded any sales in over a year" I'm being offered the opportunity to have the rights restored to me for a mere $149 "processing fee."

Thing is -- and I haven't dug out my copy of the contract to double-check the exact date -- I'm almost positive my contract expires in March anyway.

Hmm. Suggestions?

Perhaps it's just my nasty, suspicious mind, but from the timing it sounds to me like this might be a new ploy to wring one last bit of money out of those who are about to escape.

I bet they're sending this to everyone who's coming up on the expiration date and hoping people will leap at the chance to be free without checking their contracts first.

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
I would be looking for sneaky "no badmouthing" clauses in the paperwork involving the release.

Arkie

a reader's ear and a writer's heart
Registered
Reaction score
My original contract with PA was sighed by Meiners, one of the three principals of the company in 2004, as I understood it at the time, and I figured a legitimate officer of the company and probably authorized to administer contracts. The contract release was signed, in 2006, by a lady whom I didn't know. I have wondered if she actually had the authority, and who gave it to her. Most organizations that issue contracts usually have a Contract Officer appointed. At base level in the Air Force, usually a full colonel and at higher levels: generals.

So, I have suspected they gave my case to a hire off the streets and told her to send this guy a letter and get rid of him, and while you're at it, ban him from the message board. If her letter of release would have stood up in court, I don't know.

Since I didn't trust that slipshod organization from the getgo, I chose to wait until the original 7-year contract expired, taking the precaution of sending a formal letter three months prior to the original expiration date declining to extend or renew the contract. In the meantime, I rewrote the book, changed the title, character names and made other revisions. The original contract expired last September. I have just this month began sending the MS out.

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to remember what PA's policies (they have changed) are regarding registered and/or signature-required mail. The unholy trio used to sign (Meiners etc) but then others did and now they refuse any such mail.

I doubt they'd try to invalidate contract releases years later though. They would lose too easily.

Blake M. Petit

Geek Pundit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.evertimerealms.com
I'm happy to report I've got the rights to my second (and final) PA book back, so I'm officially cut loose.

What to do with it now? I'd hate to abandon it entirely, because I really do think it's some of my better work. I think I may take one final pass, release it as an eBook through Smashwords and Amazon (just to have it out there) and get on with my life.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score

Hmm. Suggestions?

I'd like to point out that a book can't record sales. People can, of course. And the wording here seems to suggest that sales could have gone unrecorded, and that you'd never see a dime of the money.

NivianBlanche

The marshmallow is trying to eat me
Registered
Reaction score
I got this same email. My was a $96 processing fee. I came on here to post just this. -_- I haven't been on in a while. Shame on me.

Scribe4264

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
I got an e-mail today offering to terminate my contract for the amazing fee of $299.00.
Too bad for them that I sent them a letter of notice of termination of contract yesterday by regular mail and by e-mail, lol.

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
Sounds like they're trying to cut down on personnel.

Sounds like they may be cashing out. Think about what would happen if all their 40K authors sent them $100 to get a release. Wouldn't that be a nice retirement fund?

Would y'all feel any ill feelings toward me if I set up the same scam, collected a three dozen thousand authors, let them out of their contract for say, $100 and retired? 3.6 million would look good in my savings account. I would invite y'all to my estate for dinner. Everyone like hot dogs?

<hangs head> Okay, I'll offer to send a copy of the books to S and S before releasing them (for a small fee).

Last edited: