Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 76 to 96 of 96

Thread: What should I read next? Urban Fantasy...

  1. #76
    Part-time ninja CAMueller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    1,609
    Quote Originally Posted by Shana2488 View Post
    I was going through my previously owned books and I was wondering if Colleen Gleason's Gardella Vampire Chronicles or the Vampire Huntress series by L.A. Banks was considered Urban Fantasy? I don't have the first books, but if someone recommended them, I might try to find them. Does anyone know if those authors fit into the UF category?
    L.A. Banks' books are urban fantasy. Colleen Gleason's novels are more paranormal romance.

    Though, it sounds like you're reading quite a bit of of young adult urban fantasy. If you're looking to stay with YA UF, then you need to read Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy series.
    Current Projects
    BREAKING PROTOCOL is with the agent (YA thriller)
    Drafting BORROWED PROMISES (Urban fantasy)

    Author Site | Review Blog | Facebook | Tumblr | @ChelseaVBC


    Latest Write Like a Fighter Post: The First One's Free

  2. #77
    "We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat Silver-Midnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Falling into her own Wonderland
    Posts
    4,910
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMueller View Post
    Though, it sounds like you're reading quite a bit of of young adult urban fantasy. If you're looking to stay with YA UF, then you need to read Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy series.
    I think P.C. Cast also writes YA Urban Fantasy, right? Or would that fall more in the YA PNR umbrella?

  3. #78
    Part-time ninja CAMueller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    1,609
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver-Midnight View Post
    I think P.C. Cast also writes YA Urban Fantasy, right? Or would that fall more in the YA PNR umbrella?
    Her House of Night series is YA urban fantasy, yes. It has romantic subplots, but the core of the story isn't about coupledom.
    Current Projects
    BREAKING PROTOCOL is with the agent (YA thriller)
    Drafting BORROWED PROMISES (Urban fantasy)

    Author Site | Review Blog | Facebook | Tumblr | @ChelseaVBC


    Latest Write Like a Fighter Post: The First One's Free

  4. #79
    "We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat Silver-Midnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Falling into her own Wonderland
    Posts
    4,910
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMueller View Post
    Her House of Night series is YA urban fantasy, yes. It has romantic subplots, but the core of the story isn't about coupledom.
    I wasn't sure. I don't really read YA, but I have heard of her before.

  5. #80
    I *heart* Kittehs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Posts
    13
    YA UF: Vampire Academy series, Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, Soul Screamers series. Those are a good start. Vampire Academy is excellent, IMO.

  6. #81
    "We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat Silver-Midnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Falling into her own Wonderland
    Posts
    4,910
    Does anyone have any suggestions for books similar to the Mercy Thompson series other than the Alpha and Omega series?

  7. #82
    Merovingian Superhero ULTRAGOTHA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,872
    Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones.
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; but everyone is not entitled to their own facts."
    --Daniel Patrick Moynihan

    ================================
    "He has the courage of a fighting cock and the brains of a chicken."
    -I cannot find the attribution for this :-(
    ================================

    @ULTRAGOTHA on Twitter

  8. #83
    Strange Monster Yāogui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver-Midnight View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions for books similar to the Mercy Thompson series other than the Alpha and Omega series?
    Similar in what way?

  9. #84
    "We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat Silver-Midnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Falling into her own Wonderland
    Posts
    4,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Yāogui View Post
    Similar in what way?
    Something that kind of, I don't know, "reads" like it.(If that makes sense I guess) Any similarity is fine though.

  10. #85
    Part-time ninja CAMueller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    1,609
    Silver, you might try the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews.
    Current Projects
    BREAKING PROTOCOL is with the agent (YA thriller)
    Drafting BORROWED PROMISES (Urban fantasy)

    Author Site | Review Blog | Facebook | Tumblr | @ChelseaVBC


    Latest Write Like a Fighter Post: The First One's Free

  11. #86
    Strange Monster Yāogui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMueller View Post
    Silver, you might try the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews.
    That's one of my absolute favorites, but I don't think it reads like Mercy Thompson?

    Silver, maybe Carrie Vaughn's Kitty Norville?

  12. #87
    "We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat Silver-Midnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Falling into her own Wonderland
    Posts
    4,910
    Quote Originally Posted by ULTRAGOTHA View Post
    Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones.
    Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by CAMueller View Post
    Silver, you might try the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yāogui View Post
    That's one of my absolute favorites, but I don't think it reads like Mercy Thompson?

    Silver, maybe Carrie Vaughn's Kitty Norville?
    Thanks.



    Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll make sure to look at these.

  13. #88
    Part-time ninja CAMueller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    1,609
    Quote Originally Posted by Yāogui View Post
    That's one of my absolute favorites, but I don't think it reads like Mercy Thompson?

    Silver, maybe Carrie Vaughn's Kitty Norville?
    I don't know that it reads in the same tone, but I think lots of the things that people connect with in Mercy they'd connect with in Kate.
    Current Projects
    BREAKING PROTOCOL is with the agent (YA thriller)
    Drafting BORROWED PROMISES (Urban fantasy)

    Author Site | Review Blog | Facebook | Tumblr | @ChelseaVBC


    Latest Write Like a Fighter Post: The First One's Free

  14. #89
    Strange Monster Yāogui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    122
    I'm looking for recommendations! I like it fast and full of action. I never mind scary monsters, I seldom mind cute monsters, my favorites are Kate Daniels and Harry Dresden, and recently Deacon Chalk fed my adrenaline cravings.

    Not so interested in the 90s style of urban fantasy, Gaiman, de Lint, Bull, etc.

    Give me a protagonist in the know. Give me strong characters, preferably female but not necessarily, preferably first person but not necessarily, preferably a series already five books deep but not necessarily. Good with vampires, werewolves, fae, dragons, angels, demons, goblins, unicorns -- even Hoosiers. But not vampire Hoosiers. That's going too far.

    I don't mind romance when it's well-done and focused on human connection (see Stacia Kane's books for what I mean), rather than the jaw-droppingly-hot-people-dropping-jaws-and-underwear.

    Come on, people. Knock me out.

  15. #90
    Part-time ninja CAMueller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    1,609
    Quote Originally Posted by Yāogui View Post
    I'm looking for recommendations! I like it fast and full of action. I never mind scary monsters, I seldom mind cute monsters, my favorites are Kate Daniels and Harry Dresden, and recently Deacon Chalk fed my adrenaline cravings.

    Not so interested in the 90s style of urban fantasy, Gaiman, de Lint, Bull, etc.

    Give me a protagonist in the know. Give me strong characters, preferably female but not necessarily, preferably first person but not necessarily, preferably a series already five books deep but not necessarily. Good with vampires, werewolves, fae, dragons, angels, demons, goblins, unicorns -- even Hoosiers. But not vampire Hoosiers. That's going too far.

    I don't mind romance when it's well-done and focused on human connection (see Stacia Kane's books for what I mean), rather than the jaw-droppingly-hot-people-dropping-jaws-and-underwear.

    Come on, people. Knock me out.
    I'll give it a go. I'm gathering from your references that you've read the biggies, so how about...

    Try the Rhiannon's Law series by J.A. Saare. The first book is good, but the second one THE RENFIELD SYNDROME was OMG awesome (dark, violent, clever, gut-wrenching).

    How about the Disillusionists Trilogy from Carolyn Crane? First book is MIND GAMES and this one is good from page 1.

    And maybe try Seanan McGuire's alterego Mira Grant? Her Newsflesh series is brilliant. First book is FEED. It's not UF in the strictest sense, but based on your request I think you'll like it. Zombies, politics, conspiracy, awesome. (You can always try her October Daye series, too, under the McGuire name.)
    Current Projects
    BREAKING PROTOCOL is with the agent (YA thriller)
    Drafting BORROWED PROMISES (Urban fantasy)

    Author Site | Review Blog | Facebook | Tumblr | @ChelseaVBC


    Latest Write Like a Fighter Post: The First One's Free

  16. #91
    Strange Monster Yāogui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMueller View Post
    Try the Rhiannon's Law series by J.A. Saare. ... the Disillusionists Trilogy from Carolyn Crane?
    Wow -- two series I'm not familiar with! Thanks for the recommendations. I appreciate it a lot.

  17. #92
    Merovingian Superhero ULTRAGOTHA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,872
    Quote Originally Posted by Yāogui View Post
    I'm looking for recommendations! I like it fast and full of action.
    Can't tell if you're interested in urban fantasy that's not Gaiman, et al. But if you're willing to look at non-urban fantasy, I recommend Garth Nix's Old Kingdom books--Sabrael, Lirael and Abhorson. Also a novella called Across the Wall in the anthology Across the Wall.

    Girl who becomes in the know with lots of action fighting the dead in a magical kingdom. Well worth the read.

    I've found Nix's other series not nearly as satisfying as his Old Kingdom books.
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; but everyone is not entitled to their own facts."
    --Daniel Patrick Moynihan

    ================================
    "He has the courage of a fighting cock and the brains of a chicken."
    -I cannot find the attribution for this :-(
    ================================

    @ULTRAGOTHA on Twitter

  18. #93
    Strange Monster Yāogui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by ULTRAGOTHA View Post
    Can't tell if you're interested in urban fantasy that's not Gaiman, et al. But if you're willing to look at non-urban fantasy, I recommend Garth Nix's Old Kingdom books--Sabrael, Lirael and Abhorson. Also a novella called Across the Wall in the anthology Across the Wall.

    Girl who becomes in the know with lots of action fighting the dead in a magical kingdom. Well worth the read.
    Thanks! I've read them already, but that's actually a perfect fit for the description of what I was looking for. You are a man or woman of extraordinary good taste, Ultragotha!

  19. #94
    Lagrangian LOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Between there and there
    Posts
    7,624
    Kevine Hearne's Iron Druid Chronicles.
    Kelly Keaton's Gods and Monsters. A pretty dark series, although I still kind of feel like it could go in a good or bad way (story direction) come next book.
    Kelly McCullough's Webmage . . . maybe. It depends on how you define Urban Fantasy.
    Caitlin Kittredge's Iron Codex. Again, kind of depends. It's got Urban, but it's also pretty heavily adventure and steampunk/horror.
    D.D. Barant's Bloodhound Files. I really liked the first few, but the latest disappointed me--I was hoping for a big change and evolution in story and character, but the author went and disappointed me by hitting the "Reset to status quo" button, and adding a completely unnecessary romance out of flippin nowhere.

    Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus, at least for the first three books I think.
    Charlaine's Harris' Sookie Stackhouse, if you can stand the slow pace. I got to the seventh book and was just wondering when it was going to end.
    Jenna Black's Faeriewalker. Again, started good, but the latest was disappointing. Way too many pages for too little plot development.
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."
    --Laozi

  20. #95
    Mischievously Delicious! LadyV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,210
    Quote Originally Posted by LOG View Post
    Kevine Hearne's Iron Druid Chronicles.
    Kelly Keaton's Gods and Monsters. A pretty dark series, although I still kind of feel like it could go in a good or bad way (story direction) come next book.
    Kelly McCullough's Webmage . . . maybe. It depends on how you define Urban Fantasy.
    Caitlin Kittredge's Iron Codex. Again, kind of depends. It's got Urban, but it's also pretty heavily adventure and steampunk/horror.
    D.D. Barant's Bloodhound Files. I really liked the first few, but the latest disappointed me--I was hoping for a big change and evolution in story and character, but the author went and disappointed me by hitting the "Reset to status quo" button, and adding a completely unnecessary romance out of flippin nowhere.

    Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus, at least for the first three books I think.
    Charlaine's Harris' Sookie Stackhouse, if you can stand the slow pace. I got to the seventh book and was just wondering when it was going to end.
    Jenna Black's Faeriewalker. Again, started good, but the latest was disappointing. Way too many pages for too little plot development.
    I second this suggestion. Fantastic series. Well, the fouth one not so much IMO because the setting wasn't in a modern-day, slightly dystopian London. At least Bartimaeus was still his smart-ass self.

    Current WIP: Violet Dagger - Contemporary Fantasy (outlining)

  21. #96
    Tyger's Mama TribalCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    110
    My favorite UF author is Yasmine Galenorn, author of the Sisters of the Otherworld and the Indigo Court series' among others. Her books are fast-paced, full of action and hot relationships (it's not porn, but it's not YA either), and most importantly, they have great plots and characters. Give her a try!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search