• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Tico Publishing

R.K.Melton

ticopublishing said:
I haven't gotten around to it yet, but then, I haven't signed any new books either so nobody has been effected either. I am going to change it, but it's not necessary until I sign a new manuscript.

Now I'm curious, being a newbie to this page I may seem ignorant in my inquiry. If this question has already been answered in a different form then I also apologize for that. However, speaking from a common sense factor, if someone who does indeed know what to look for in a contract, wouldn't you change your current contract to display such so the author had a good reason to contact you with the publishing of their books? If you do not change it now what is to prevent them from just passing over your company and going somewhere else and missing on the opportunity to have published them first? Thank you!

R.K.Melton

strngchs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mkimsmith.com
that one doesnt work for me either :( i dont know why i cant get this page...

It says action cancelled.Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you requested. The page might be temporarily unavailable.Please try the following:
  • <LI id=instructionsText2>Click the Refresh button, or try again later.
    <LI id=instructionsText3>If you have visited this page previously and you want to view what has been stored on your computer, click File, and then click Work Offline.
  • For information about offline browsing with Internet Explorer, click the Help menu, and then click Contents and Index.

Internet Explorer

Aprylwriter

i am dragon. roar.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Hmmm, I have no idea. The only thing I can think of is to change your privacy settings and see if that helps; sometimes web pages won't load if the privacy is up too high.

I downloaded mozilla recently, and use that more than Internet Explorer; it usually works better than Internet Explorer.

Apryl

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
These post didn't come up the first time I did a search for them here.
Sorry to bother you.

There's an extensive thread on TICO here, including a lot of discussion with the publisher.

It may work out as a good company, it may not--the publisher is not very experienced as a publisher, and that's a bad note. They used to post their basic contract and it was a nightmare with rights grabs, and would never release you until THEY announced your book was out of print (being a POD means it's never out of print). He wanted exclusive rights to your book for the life of the copyright (author's death + 70 years).

he sounded reasonable about changing that contract, but never did so where anyone could follow up on whether he changed it or not.

If you should go with him, get the offered contract in hand and send it to someone who can help you with the terms of it, it's likely to be the equivalent of putting your head in a vise, putting a full-auto shotgun muzzle first in a clamp with the muzzle right at the point of gag-reflex and pushing the trigger with your big toe.

Then again he may have changed the contract to something short of slavery . . . but if he has, why doesn't he post a new contract?

Regards,
Scott