• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Tico Publishing

emma

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody have anything on them? They claim NOT to be a vanity press, but do publish on demand only. The better to spend their time, resources and funds for marketing your work, they say. They also do not claim to accept any money from authors whatsoever. www.ticopublishing.com
many thanks!

rekirts

NOooooo!!!
Registered
Reaction score
On the main page of the sites I've been to for genuine, commercial publishers they have all kinds of info on the books they have published and on the authors who wrote them. Somewhere, often not prominently displayed, is a link for submission guidelines. I have never seen the main page of a legitimate publisher trying to recruit authors.

That Tico site has links to pay-for-editing places and even to Publish America. Highly suspect.

VeggieChick

Registered
Reaction score

I think this should be a red flag. Reading fee??

THIS METHOD OF SUBMISSION REQUIRES A $5 READING FEE!

Submission #2:

Submitting via this method does a couple of things in your benefit.

First, it achieves all the benefits of a submission without a reading fee.

Second, it automatically enters you into our bi-annual contest (awards are a great way to promote your book).

Third, your submission receive priority over other submissions.

Reading fee is $5 per entry. An entry constitutes a single item (ie. 1 manuscript, 1 short story, etc.) However, poetry entrants can submit up to 5 poems for the 1 fee. See our contest page for more details.

VeggieChick

Registered
Reaction score
Wait! There's more! Publishers that are also book doctors? Not a good combination.

Do you need, or would you like, to have your book reviewed? Not having much luck getting them on your own? We understand.

So do the "big" reviewers, like Kirkus and ForeWord. They've both added "commissioned reviews" yet with them, you will be paying from $299-$349 and have to wait 8-12 weeks to get your review! OUCH!

TICO Publishing is now offering a full review service. There are two "levels" to choose from:

Our review service is simple

Level 1: For $29.95, we'll deliver a 200-500 word full-length review to you within 7 days - 14 days (depending on the length of the manuscript and backlog of submitted work).

Level 2: For only $39.95, we include everything from Level 1, EXCEPT as an ADDED feature, not only will we review your work, but it will be professionally edited and come back to you in a PDF laced with comments and suggestions.

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
Not to mention the only book in their catalog that's listed on Amazon has Booksurge as the publisher.

Furthermore, I can't help but wonder if all those people listed on the "submissions received" page knew they were getting listed on the website.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Ghod. "Untitled fiction novel" is bad enough, but for Tico to display submissions is unprofessional. They may intend well, but they're clueless.

JonquilAries

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jonquil-aries.com
Around the first of November I sent my science fiction manuscript to this place, and while I see that it's listed under their 'submissions in review' page, I was wondering if this is a reputable publisher? So far my Google searches have turned up nothing to lead me to believe they're bad. Any information would be a great help.

Edit: This is what I get for not doing a search first. Heh, oops. I found a thread asking the same questions. ^_^'

Last edited:

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Go to a Barnes & Noble. See if you can find their books on the shelf.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]
TIRED OF REJECTION NOTICES?!?!

TICO publishing is an independent publisher specializing in first-time authors in all genres of literature. We have an open acceptance policy. Manuscripts should be mailed to the address provided or submitted as a .PDF or .DOC file via e-mail.

That's the first thing on their homepage.

It does not fill me with hope.

[/font]

JonquilAries

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jonquil-aries.com
It's undoubtedly a vanity outfit, but the only reason I didn't withdraw my manuscript from them was because they didn't ask me for money. Well, not yet. I'm going to be shopping the story to another agent anyways, so I might just save myself a future headache and get it rejected/accepted the old fashioned way.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
TICO Publishing

http://www.ticopublishing.com

NEW YEAR'S SPECIAL!​

Save $10 on either our review package (normally $29.95 - now $19.95) and our editing with review package (normally $39.95 - now $29.95). This offer expires on January 7th, 2006! Act fast!
:e2thud:

Jana

Registered
Reaction score
Just for laughs, I followed some of the covers of 'their' published books over to Amazon. I soon discovered that, however much they like to tell authors they're a reputable house, they don't like for the reading public to know. I looked at the fronts and backs of several covers, and there was never a logo or publisher's name.

That's a big warning sign, if the 'publisher' won't put its name on the cover.

Jana

Registered
Reaction score
Never mind. They don't quite say they published any of those books, just 'some books we thought you'd like' kind of thing, presumably so people will think they did publish something. it's a very empty site.

Writerbear

Registered
Reaction score
Jana said:
Never mind. They don't quite say they published any of those books, just 'some books we thought you'd like' kind of thing, presumably so people will think they did publish something. it's a very empty site.

They only have one published title out so far, Pneumatrix, which was blurbed by Tony Hillerman.

Perhaps people should spend more time actually ASKING these publishers questions instead of rushing to petty judgments based on speculation.

I have had several offers from publishers and agents that I turned down because I did my homework and found the publisher or agent to be a complete scam.

I signed a contract with Tico Publishing. I received editorial feedback before I got a contract offer, and I didn't pay for it. I had their contract reviewed by two lawyers, several authors and when I spoke to the publisher about the contract every single point I had on the contract was either ammended or explained to address my questions.

And they are not strictly POD in the sense that some people think of POD as a swear word. I checked their distribution network before signing and spoke to local bookstore owners. They distribute through Ingrams in the US and have a return policy so that all the major chain bookstores can carry their books.

But don't take my word for it - call up the publisher and ask him yourself. I was wary submitting my work - I paid the $5 US fee for a quicker read because, frankly, it put me in their contest and the cost of printing off my manuscript and mailing it would have been sufficiently more to send it anywhere else (though I did have others looking at it). But for $5 I thought, "What the hell? How else will I know what they're about?"

I won Best Fiction and my prize is in the mail. They've signed two of my books for publication. I have editing notes on both of them. They're already working on interviews for publicity purposes and have discussed book launches locally and doing book signings.

I got 4 offers. I chose Tico because out of all the book publishers I was considering, they treated me like a person. And the publisher is so excellent, he was up at 4 am reading my blog and emailed me - he's taken more time to find out who I am and what I'm about and how I'd like to approach this than I ever would have expected from a publisher. I always thought my publisher would just tell me, "This is the way, snap to it."

That has not been my experience with them at all.

And I'm not a hack writer with no credits to my name or brain in my head. I have three pieces of work, including a short story, coming out in the May/June and July/August issues of Crimespree Magazine, amongst my other credits.

Writerbear

Registered
Reaction score
CaoPaux said:
Oh, Ghod. "Untitled fiction novel" is bad enough, but for Tico to display submissions is unprofessional. They may intend well, but they're clueless.

And while it may be odd to do this, and some may not like it, I always appreciated knowing the status of my submission. I was never kept in the dark, and further to that people have a choice before submitting - they know how Tico works.

Unlike other places that never respond to you or read your work - I got my editorial feedback BEFORE the publishing contract offers - 3 weeks in fact. The editorial feedback was first review, then it went to second review and then I was offered a contract. So I got a lot of helpful advice from them before they even knew I would sign a contract.

Frankly, getting anyone to publish previously unpublished authors, and to actually read their submissions, is damn impressive. What do we see on forums like this? People shoot off with their opinions and hide behind a mask of anonymity so they don't have to own what they say.

Of course anyone as transparent at Tico would seem odd.

And my site isn't done - this won't even be the home page end of the month - but you can come yell at me here: http://www.sandraruttan.com/

Writerbear

Registered
Reaction score
And further to all of that, I also had the contract assessed by a friend of mine that used to work at Mondo publishing and now works at Rosen. As my friend, she only cared I got a fair deal and came out certain in the end that this was a good, legitimate option.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Writerbear said:
Frankly, getting anyone to publish previously unpublished authors, and to actually read their submissions, is damn impressive.
Oh, great Ghu, why won't that myth die?

Every author is unpublished at one time. Publishers want new authors. They need them. There is no paucity of new authors being published. Check out Publishers Marketplace, and note how many of the deals are with first-time authors.

What do we see on forums like this? People shoot off with their opinions and hide behind a mask of anonymity so they don't have to own what they say.
Yes, of course, the fact that you don't know who these people are means they're hiding.

If you're really interested in having an intelligent discussion about this publisher or publishing in general, I recommend you don't begin it by deliberately insulting and provoking the people here. There's only one natural way for things to go from there.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Writerbear said:
I had their contract reviewed by two lawyers, several authors and when I spoke to the publisher about the contract every single point I had on the contract was either ammended or explained to address my questions.
Willingness to negotiate a contract is a good sign. But did the lawyers you consulted have experience with publishing contracts? If not, they may not have been able to give you useful advice. Publishing contracts are specialized documents and contain terms not found in other contracts.
They distribute through Ingrams in the US and have a return policy so that all the major chain bookstores can carry their books.
If they don't pair returnability with a standard bookstore discount (at least 40%), or if they limit returnability (for instance, only bulk orders are returnable, or the returns policy only extends for 90 days), this won't make the books any more attractive. Also, the books will be available through all major bookstores--but unless you yourself persuade a store to put your book on its shelves, it's unlikely it will be stocked.
What do we see on forums like this? People shoot off with their opinions and hide behind a mask of anonymity so they don't have to own what they say.
Not all of us.

- Victoria

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Writerbear said:
I have had several offers from publishers and agents that I turned down because I did my homework and found the publisher or agent to be a complete scam.
It'd save you time and postage if you did your homework before you submit/query.
And they are not strictly POD in the sense that some people think of POD as a swear word. I checked their distribution network before signing and spoke to local bookstore owners. They distribute through Ingrams in the US and have a return policy so that all the major chain bookstores can carry their books.
POD is POD is POD. Your books will not be in stores unless you put them there.
I paid the $5 US fee for a quicker read because, frankly, it put me in their contest and the cost of printing off my manuscript and mailing it would have been sufficiently more to send it anywhere else (though I did have others looking at it).
I hope none of the other places had a "no simultaneous submissions" policy.
I won Best Fiction and my prize is in the mail.
What did you win? According to their website, the only monetary prize is for "Best in Show", which I presume to be the "Best Overall Title" listed on their winners page.
They've signed two of my books for publication. I have editing notes on both of them.
Happen to know anyone who's been rejected? Please don't let them talk you into any of their editing packages.
They're already working on interviews for publicity purposes and have discussed book launches locally and doing book signings.
Who will be supplying the books for these events?
And I'm not a hack writer with no credits to my name or brain in my head. I have three pieces of work, including a short story, coming out in the May/June and July/August issues of Crimespree Magazine, amongst my other credits.
Well, a 4theluv fanzine is generally not considered a publishing credit. Do you have any experience being paid for your work?
Originally Posted by CaoPaux

And while it may be odd to do this, and some may not like it, I always appreciated knowing the status of my submission.
It's not odd, it's unprofessional. It's a breach of your privacy, could ruin your chance to submit that particular manuscript to another publisher, and could get you into trouble with the publishers you've admitted you've simsubbed to.
I was never kept in the dark, and further to that people have a choice before submitting - they know how Tico works.
Not all light is healthy. Also, people may learn how TICO works, but do they know it’s not how commercial publishing works?
Unlike other places that never respond to you or read your work - I got my editorial feedback BEFORE the publishing contract offers - 3 weeks in fact.
What kind of feedback? Actual plot/theme/character development, or simply grammar corrections?
The editorial feedback was first review, then it went to second review and then I was offered a contract. So I got a lot of helpful advice from them before they even knew I would sign a contract.
Ever take a psychology course? That is, how much of what they said was what you wanted to hear?
Frankly, getting anyone to publish previously unpublished authors, and to actually read their submissions, is damn impressive.
Untrue. Scores of new authors are pubbed every year (read Publishers’ Weekly). Also, thousands get read every day to be -- surprise! -- judged still unpublishable.
On the contrary; this forum requires any statement, anonymous or otherwise, to be supported by verifiable evidence. Otherwise, it will be vivisected eight ways from Sunday by authors, editors, publishers, and agents, most of whom do indeed post under their real name.
Of course anyone as transparent at Tico would seem odd.
…to anyone with access to Google.
And further to all of that, I also had the contract assessed by a friend of mine that used to work at Mondo publishing and now works at Rosen. As my friend, she only cared I got a fair deal and came out certain in the end that this was a good, legitimate option.
This Mondo? http://www.mondopub.com/ And this Rosen? http://www.rosenpublishing.com/ With all due respect to your friend, offering advice on TICO from a background of YA educational non-fiction is like a figure skater advising on a hockey team. Yes, there’s ice and speed involved, but there the similarities end.

We wish you the best with your book, and hope you get everything you expect from TICO.

Buckeye Writer

New can be Scary

Tico is new. Most of the negative comments I've seen here about this small publishing company are able to be generated because it is a new company and the Editor is trying some new things. As a reviewer for Tico, I can GUARANTEE you it isn't a vanity press. There are currently about 14 books on the list to be published, each of which has been read at least twice. More than fifty books were rejected to get to those fourteen publishable titles. Only two of the titles currently scheduled for publication paid any more than the $5 contest fee. It is a contest fee, not a reading fee. Tico does charge a modest fee for editing: punctuation, grammar, plot, character development and marketability are the things covered in a full edit. Every book and short story submitted to Tico is read from cover to cover and returned to the author with a synopsis and a review briefly addressing those same areas at no charge. This Editor is accessible, before you shut Tico down as an option for your book, call him! He'll answer all your questions. Just for the record, an author who submits their work without the $5 contest fee gets the same treatment as the one's who pay it, contest entries just get reviewed quicker because the contest has a deadline date.