Votes: 21 41.2%
  • Heyjude has a mean streak.

Votes: 10 19.6%

• Total voters

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
shot him in the head, dumped the body, and the killer never had so much as a twitch about it.

In my defense, I didn't realize the character was going to get killed. Then I forgot to change the name. Hubby is reading the ms and is a little... hmm... how to put it... perturbed, maybe? I asked him if he wanted me to change the name and he said "No, it's fine. Really. Fine." But now he won't turn his back on me... :e2shrug:

Do I change the name? Or let it be? :tongue

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Would Freud have something to say about this?!

I voted to leave it. If he says he's fine, he is. And if not, he shouldn't lie. :)

Think of it this way: you're writing crime fiction. He features (okay, his name) in a crime. In your fiction. What a compliment!

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
Very funny! I'm sure it was a natural evolution of the story.

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
I would never have considered naming a character after my wife or any of my kids. The risk is too high that, no matter how many good characteristics she might have, they might fixate on the one bad one and feel offended or upset. I do use episodes from our lives, and mix and match certain features from my loved ones to make my characters. However, to have a well-rounded character, there has to be bad stuff. Too risky.

Having said that, and I really don't want to offend you, but that story is hilarious...although I know it isn't for you. Unfortunately, you can't go back and make it undone. From what you say, it sounds like it bothers him. If you want to stay married, I'd probably (seriously, this time) suggest telling him that you realized this character really is nothing like him, so you'll be changing the name.

Good luck.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Having said that, and I really don't want to offend you, but that story is hilarious...although I know it isn't for you.

Oh, lbender, you're right! It is hilarious! (To me. Not sure to hubby...) :D

Stanmiller

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What if you'd had him run off with another woman first? Then you'd have been justified in doing the deed. We'd be watching your story on A&E's Deadly Women. Cool, we'd say.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Heh heh.

That's pretty much all I have to say. You did it, he's reading it. At this point your question's kind of moot. :D

tarak

for certain qualities of "sane"
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Central Pennsylvania - the gateway to Harrisburg
I did something similar. My MC is a widow - her husband was Greek and so is mine, but that's the only similarity. My husband was more amused than anything else. My sister was reading the MS and said, "Oh, she is married. Oh my God, you killed him!"

Probably the most reprehensible character in my MS is named after an old roommate of mine. My mom called me on that one. :)

Jwriter

Going places
Registered
Reaction score
Eh, I'm going to go against the flow here and say if you know it bothers him, regardless of what he says, and another name will do the job just as well, change it. Consider it a little good-faith sacrifice in the interest of family harmony. If the name you have is the only one that really works (I mean, you can't replace an Alexander with a Wilbur, for example), then you're probably stuck trying to convince him you didn't mean it that way...

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I named a character in a story after a friend once. I lovingly refered to the character as "little dead boy" considering he was promptly shot in the head by my MC, who wasn't the kindest person in the world. Uh...to my credit, said friend knew about this in advance and had a couple of options lol.

Your story cracked me up, though. No idea if I'd change it or not. For my friend and I, it was an ongoing joke for years. If I'd thought he was really offended, I'd probably have changed it, though. Okay, I would have. I'm a total softy like that.

I say right after admitting my MC murdered a child...

Maybe Kaitie has a mean streak, too. :tongue

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I have a friend who is a very big supporter of my writing. After three book, I name a character after him and even gave him some of my friends characteristics. Unsure how this will end, but I told him about it and now his wife wants me to use her as a character...

I asked if the character could be a sex slave and she backed off... (Hubby though told me to go for it...) ; - )

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:roll: You guys are too much.

When I was creating the poll I got a phone call and didn't tick the option to make the choices public, but I want to know who's voting that I have a mean streak.

Who, moi? :e2file:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Other than the protagonist, nearly every character I use has the name, physical description, and personality of people I know, be it friends, family, or acquaintances. The only exception is when I use a famous person that I don't know personally, but have seen in interviews or other situations, well enough to get them down on paper.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I name characters after people I know all the time- I say leave it, just tell your hubby to sleep with one eye open-:evil

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, maybe he'll do the dishes more often, too! :D

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
As a side note...

I have had friends at parties and other social functions warn strangers to watch what they say around me because it will end up in one of my books. (Shruggs)

Now I know they were teasing, but it makes me wonder if they really are worried that what they say will end up in a story, or if they want their story to be included. (Big grin)

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Change it. It seems to be bothering you that it may be bothering Hubby. Wouldn't hurt to change it, unless there's something about the name in the novel whereby it has a deeper meaning that effects other things.

ToddWBush

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I voted to leave it. And I know your hubby...

Mama Jude, my wife laughed really hard at this story. And I think you how she'd feel if I did the same thing.

On a related note, my wife made me change the lead character's name in my first novel. His name was Larkin. Now it's Porter. Somthing about my ex fiance coming up with the name Larkin... I don't know.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe your husband, deep down, is okay with it, but how will the friends and family feel? Will you be getting funny looks at family events after the book comes out?

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
If you like your husband, it might be a good idea to change the name. :)

I like him okay, but we all have our days... :rolleyes:

Maybe your husband, deep down, is okay with it, but how will the friends and family feel? Will you be getting funny looks at family events after the book comes out?

Ha! Great point, never thought of that! Maybe I should wait to see if it gets picked up...