Status
Not open for further replies.

virginia

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.travelswithlucy.blogspot.com
Can anyone tell me, please, why at Christmas, when we celebrate the birth of Christ, AW gives us images of the Devil at the top of the site?

I mean, I can understand secular/humanist/neutral pictures but…The Dark One? Is it supposed to be funny? Ironic in some s**k way?

Am I missing something?

‘Cos I’m sorry but I’m not amused and, to be honest, stay away when they’re there.

Thank you (for any replies), and Happy Christmas/holidays, everyone!

Virginia

P.S. I just clicked today’s image and got an ad. for Amazon and their “Kindle”. Ah, so the Devil and advertising? Well, yes, but are we sure the likes of Amazon want us to make that connection?

Are they the ones behind it? Oh, I’m confused…

CheyElizabeth

My horn can pierce the sky!
Registered
Reaction score
The images change every day.. I have seen a religious one or two, and not all of them have the devil.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
AW is also a very diverse site. And while the image may offend you it's not offensive to everyone.

The link provided by the poster above does explain the origin behind Krampus

ETA: I prefer old Christmas card images like this.

2289950036_a597bc5fa3.jpg

Last edited:

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Christmas is not the only thing that is celebrated at this time of the year. When you view the whole history of this you will see that many different beliefs are in play. In order for AW to be 'fair' to each person's understanding the pictures are rotated to cover all folks. You have to remember that this site is viewed/visited by folks from all around the world with all different views. I do know that in no way would anyone here ever want to be rude or insulting to anyone. We are a melding pot of cultures and ideas. Not all folks here even called it Christmas due to their beliefs. The link that has been provided will help you see this move. Hugs.

Deleted member 42

Can anyone tell me, please, why at Christmas, when we celebrate the birth of Christ, AW gives us images of the Devil at the top of the site?

Let's try not to be so ethno-centric, shall we?

It's not the devil; it's Krampus—a Christmas tradition that goes back to the middle ages.

Read this. And this.

We've had images of creches, nativity scenes, the Green Man, the star of David, Santa, St. Nicholas, and other seasonal holiday-inspired images all month.

Not everyone is a Christian. Not all winter holidays are Christmas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
There's been a discussion about the Krampus pics going on since the first ones popped up. Just ad-block them if you don't want to look at them, it's what I do.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I like the Krampus pics! It reminds me of my late grandmother warning me I'd get a bag of switches for Xmas if I wasn't good :)

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I like the Krampus pics! It reminds me of my late grandmother warning me I'd get a bag of switches for Xmas if I wasn't good :)
Exactly, Krampus is from that older tradition where 'naughty or nice' actually meant something: coal or switches, punishment instead of rewards. Instead of the modern, easy, 'lets give everybody presents, and just wink at bad behaviour, 'cause we wouldn't want anyone to feel bad' notions. So what's the point in good behavior? Old Krampus knew.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know what we didn't get this year. Linus giving his speech in It's A Charlie Brown Christmas

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Ginny,

You've got to remember that we're guests on this site.

And the Mods and that are all crazy heathen Communists.:D

But not puritanically so. Well maybe a bit.:tongue

Naturally I pray for them every night.

Dear Lord I whisper, as I try and work out how to undo the laces on my boots, make them wake up as Tories and Republicans tomorrow.

Naturally, once I've got the boots off and the tootsies on show, I do an Aretha and say another prayer.

Dear Lord I whisper, please make David Cameron wake up as a Tory tomorrow! A Republican at the very least!:evil

Regards, with a yo-ho-ho... and an empty bottle of rum,

Whacko

virginia

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.travelswithlucy.blogspot.com
Hello again and thank you to everyone who replied above. I’m really sorry not to have got back sooner (I tried – did a draft before Christmas) but: got lost in research, after Wayne K’s comments; put writing on hold for Christmas and to make most of son staying and helping with my MS (the disease!); obsessed over astronomy courses and whether to start one (attempted some maths!); had computer problems; worried about “carers”; wondered at the influence of the subject of this thread; realized I was…a bit “under the weather”.

Ah well, apologies. And, where was I (I’ll go back to my original draft)?

#

“Krampus”! Aha, I’ve learned something new (and I’m sorry I missed ‘Plot Device’’s thread last March – could have saved you all this trouble!), thank you.

[As is my wont, went to Wikipedia too: “Krampus: Alpine, mostly Austrian, mythological creature; accompanied St. Nicholas as he delivered gifts to the poor, handing out his own ‘punishments’ to the ‘bad/wicked’ children; people dressing up as Krampus for street processions, frightening children/people”!]

Can’t say I like him any more, now I’m wiser, though. And still think he could act as a “trigger” for some people (i.e. the images could evoke memories of abuse). Also, I doubt very much whether these Alpiners place such a figure on their Christmas cards, etc.

But I understand now (why AW includes him) and I’m grateful for that (I think!).

In response to Wayne’s comments… Well, yes, of course the Christian Church, not only speaks of Satan in the Bible (see esp.: the serpent in the Garden of Eden, Gen 3: 1-7; temptation of Christ in the wilderness, Mat 4:1-11; Mk 1:12-13; Lk 4:1-13; Satan as the dragon in Revelation, Rev 12:9) but there are many paintings of the same…

My favourite painting – which is now also a mosaic in St. Peter’s Basilica in the Vatican – is by Guido Reni and depicts St Michael the Archangel’s defeat of Satan (1636). St. John tells us (Rev 12:7) that St. Michael will vanquish Satan twice: the first time when all the fallen angels are cast out of heaven, and again at the Final Judgement (the eschaton).

Copies of the painting can be seen at Wikipedia and Google Images.

And there. That’s about it.

Again, I’m sorry for taking so long to get back and thank you all for your replies.

Virginia

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I hope you had a very merry Christmas, Virginia :) I bet ole Krampus left you alone :D I didn't get switches!! It's my 40th year now... I'm on a roll :D

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can I just say how much I'm enjoying the seasonal images at the top of the forum home page?

Thank you to those responsible. I look forward to each day's image - seeing Krampus today made me giggle.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Can I just say how much I'm enjoying the seasonal images at the top of the forum home page?

Thank you to those responsible. I look forward to each day's image - seeing Krampus today made me giggle.

I'm so very glad you're enjoying them! Thank you for taking the time to say so (and to Ken, as well, who says so every year :) ).

And Merry Christmas!

Margarita

Waltzes with Wapitis
Registered
Reaction score
+ another one.

I had just finished posting my Yule avatar when I came across this thread. Didn't realize at first it was almost two years old so I will withhold the lecture that automatically bubbled to my fingertips when I read the OP. ;)

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
We tend to have long-running threads around AW. :)

Here's the most current Krampus-watch thread, though. You're welcome to join the fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
The kids on the Krampus one made me unbearably happy. They were so "Oh brother, dragged to hell AGAIN..."

Except for the kid in back going "Hi, Mom!"

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I am not necessarily sure, I believe the pictures change on their own but then again, they won't be able to please us all at once :\

Status
Not open for further replies.