• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Content site] Patch.com

Jrob

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't see anything in the search results, so forgive me for starting a new thread. However, I was looking to see if anyone had any experience with the site (Patch.com) and could share their experience(s). Is it legit? How's the pay? Etc.

Thanks.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Welcome to AW, Jrob!

I don't know much about content sites, but I'm pretty sure this is in the wrong forum. This should be under Paying Markets, I think, but definitely within the Freelance & Work For Hire subforum.

I'd suggest re-posting there, or asking a moderator to move this thread for you.

Also, there's this thread which has general information (and a general warning) about content sites.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Paying Markets is for posting paying opportunities, not asking questions about markets (and, in fact, this post was moved from Paying Markets). BR&BC is for questions about markets, and unless there's already a thread in Freelance (or SEO) re: Patch.com, it's better to keep such discussions in one place.

Rhymegirl works with them, so hopefully she'll drop in with her experiences.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
'salright. But there will be a quiz later. ;)

Jrob

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the mix up and thanks for the help.

~Bump~

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Hope nobody minds me reviving this thread. Like Jrob, I'd be interested in anybody's experiences with Patch.com.

I've been corresponding with Katherine Tomlinson, a writer in California who does a weekly fiction feature for the North Hollywood Patch. (NoHo Noir. Recommended.) Her stories are set in that area and have a lot of local color.

I decided to see if there was a local Patch for where I live (Vinings, Georgia; northwest side of Atlanta). Sure enough, there's the Smyrna-Vinings Patch. So I wrote to the editor, asking if they might be interested in a weekly fiction column like Katherine's, using local settings. (We're no North Hollywood, but we do have the Big Chicken.)

He got back to me and said he'd like to see a sample. I asked a few questions and proposed a couple of possibilities; waiting to hear back today.

So, I've put my foot in it. Best case, I have a weekly deadline to meet. Don't even know if there'd be money involved, but it would look good on my resume when I'm ready to query agents.

So, I'd be interested in anybody else's experiences.