The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Steve Laube Agency

practical experience, FTW

Steve Laube Agency

I tried to reply to a message and couldn't due to a full mailbox, so I'm posting the reply here. Hope no one minds.

Sure, I found him in an online search. He owns/is President of the Steve Laube Agency, LLC. He has a fantastic website: www.stevelaube.com
    He wrote a very personalized rejection letter, including what he'd give me on a letter grading scale if it were school. He suggested a book called "Editing for Fiction Writers" which was very helpful. I think he replied within 3-4 weeks. (I don't remember exactly, but it was fairly fast.) I hadn't read his website first, I'd found him on an agent list, but it ends up he doesn't even represent the type of work I wrote. (Young Adult) I thought it was very nice of him to read and "critique" my work, even though it didn't fit what he represents.
    I will definatly try him again someday. I'd love to have him as my agent and may try again anyway with my current novel.
    HTH,
    Stacey

Always a writer Daughter of Faulkner's Avatar

Thumbs up Thank you for your praise of Steve Laube

Greetings Stacey,
    My, my, my what generous words of praise that you have given to Steve Laube. He does act like a tried and true professional from the get-go. I hope you do query him again.

Sorry about the full mailbox. I don't know how to solve the problem, do you?!

My very best wishes I send your way for God's very best~
    Always a writer,
    Eileen St. Lauren
    Author

http://mysite.verizon.net/eileenstlauren

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    06-23-2006, 11:43 AM
    fiddlesticks
    Esteemed New Member

More praise for Steve Laube

Hi!
    I'm new to the site but found this & wanted to say that I met him at a writer's conference in WA several years ago. I also heard him speak. I believe him to be a man of integrity who tries to encourage writers to be everything God wants them to be. He was gentle but firm in my critique and after hearing his advice I worked diligently on a rewrite that made my story even better. I will be querying him in the near future & will try to post how it goes.

Blessings,
    Joyce Marie Pace
    Christian Author/Speaker
    06-23-2006, 12:41 PM
    Sassenach
    Inexplicability Assessment

I think God wants me to be on the best-seller list.
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

adding site: http://www.stevelaube.com/
    Steve Laube is a 28 year veteran of the bookselling industry. He began in the bookselling arena and his store in Phoenix was named the Christian Booksellers Association (CBA) store of the year in 1989.

Steve requested the full ms for my novel back in autumn of 2007, along with a detailed proposal. I remember spending most of that weekend writing the proposal (instead of spending it with my father who was in the process of dying that Fall) and was disappointed never to even get back a form rejection. I guess there was no way for Steve to know that, but that's one weekend I'll forever wish I could get back.

In the past couple of weeks Steve has added two new agents. Tamela Hancock Murray (formerly of Hartline Literary Agency) and Karen Ball, longtime editor and author and all-around industry pro. Both will be great additions to the agency.

That door could be a time portal... Deb Kinnard's Avatar
    I'm very pleased & honored that Steve will be taking on Tamela's clients, including me. I don't think it's always automatic, but it's gratifying that he's willing to give us a chance. I've met Steve at conferences and he's very down to earth, has a great sense of humor and doesn't take himself too seriously. All good qualities in an agency principle, methinks.
    Three-part time travel romance. Part One, SEASONS IN THE MIST
    Part Two, SEASONS OF RECKONING, now available
    Part Three, SEASONS OF HOPE, coming soon, all from Desert Breeze

An inspiration... ...I have a serious case of Grobanosis

Congrats Deb! It's not every agency switch that allows an agent to take their full list with them. I think Steve is just about the best in the business; I hope the new association works out well for all of you.