AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: [Publisher] Angry Robot Books

USA Today Bestselling Author Jamiekswriter's Avatar

[Publisher] Angry Robot Books

Hi guys,

I searched, but I didn't see any threads on these guys. I believe they were formerly part of Osprey publishing. But I think they're on their own now.

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...ublishing.html

They're opening up to unagented submisssions in March 2011. They were previously only accepting agented submissions.

http://angryrobotbooks.com/submissions/

Has anyone worked with them? Do you know if they offer advances and what the royalty percentage is? Anybody seen their books in Barnes and Noble?

They're covers look really professional and the website is super slick and very reader friendly as opposed to author friendly -- which I think is a plus.

Thanks -- Jamie

Thought I'd stop by
    I've seen their books at B&N and thought they looked interesting and professional. I know nothing else about them (so don't take this as a recommendation) but, if I had a sf novel ready, I'd be excited to submit.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    They were originally part of HarperCollins, and are now supported by Osprey.
    Following an acclaimed first year of publishing, the revolutionary science fiction imprint Angry Robot Books has parted company with HarperCollins UK. It will now run as an independent publishing imprint, with the full backing of niche publishing experts, Osprey Publishing.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    AFAIK they offer industry standard advances and royalties.
    AWer Aliette de Bodard is published by them and she is repped by a good London agency.

If it's relevant, I read The World House by Guy Adams and published by Angry Robot - it was superb.

Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's hard to tell.
    Yep, Angry Robot are entirely kosher. It's basically a two-man operation - I've met Marc and Lee and they're both really friendly and enthusiastic about the genre. They have strong ideas about what they like, but at the same time their tastes are pretty varied - from some quite disturbing horror (Kaaron Warren) through blood-soaked epic fantasy (Andy Remic) to relatively gentle urban fantasy (Mike Shevdon). I'm finding them easy to work with so far, and very willing to negotiate over story details - I'm currently revising my manuscript based on their feedback

I know they pay advances and decent royalties. Dan Abnett got a good five-figure sum for his 3-book deal, possibly back when they were funded by HarperCollins, but I guess new authors would get less. They're a newish independent and probably don't have great wedges of cash to throw around!

Do however note their comment about acquiring world rights - their strategy is based on selling English print versions in the UK, US and Australia plus region-free ebooks globally. Great news for both authors and readers, IMHO.
    Last edited by Anne Lyle; 12-22-2010 at 03:59 PM.
    Elizabethan fantasy N1ght's Masque - out now from 4ngry R0bot Books.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Aliette de Bodard's Avatar
    Yup, they're perfectly legit (or I missed something ). They pay advances and royalties. Not seen the books myself (the US are kind of far for me), but they are carried in B&N and Borders (and Waterstone's and other stores in the UK).
    Last edited by Aliette de Bodard; 12-22-2010 at 04:44 PM.
    Aliette de Bodard
    My website
    My blog

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    Two guys with good taste, savvy packaging, and a distribution deal. Would you say they're equal to or doing better than Nightshade?
    Winner of the Best Drycleaner on the Block Award.

Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's hard to tell.
    I can ask Mike Shevdon, but he seems happy with his AR deal so far. And anyone who hires Mur Lafferty to host their podcast gets a thumbs-up in my book
    Elizabethan fantasy N1ght's Masque - out now from 4ngry R0bot Books.

Absolutely Fazed
    Thought I'd post this. Angry Robot Books is opening up to unagented submissions from March 1 through March 31.

FYI, I have Aliette's book, Servant of the Underworld, sitting on my desk, ready to read as soon as I finish the one I'm on (jchines's Red Hood's Revenge). The cover looks great, and I made the mistake of opening up to the first page and starting to read. I had to force myself to put it down again because it drew me in so thoroughly.

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    One thing I do like about Angry Robot books is that they put extras in at the end - author interviews and bits of information about the source material for the books etc. I think it's a really nice touch and give you something a bit different for your buck.

MM

I'm subbing to AR tonight. I'll let you all know how I get on.

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go Gravity's Avatar
    Once you've heard the truth, everything else is just cheap whiskey.
    Just sent them mine!
    Cameron Bane

PITFALL, WildBlue Press

www.cameronbanebooks.com

practical experience, FTW
    Ditto. Had to reformat it somewhat, but no biggie. Better to do that than have it rejected because I didn't follow the submission requirements.

Cultus Gopherus MacAllister Medievalist's Avatar
    I've seen their books at bookstores that sell SF and at cons; they have good production values. Someone there pays attention to the details.

AW Admin: This account is rarely active
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg
    My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

Listening to my other selves Erin's Avatar
    I'm sending my submission tonight after I reformat it for their guidelines.
    DRAGONFLY NIGHTMARE: YA Romantic Suspense - Available Now!
    VIGILANTE NIGHTS: YA Suspense - (Merit Press/F+W Media).

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Want to keep up with my latest news and releases? Subscribe to my Newsletter for FREE eBook, exclusive subscriber only content and giveaways!

That 'one sentence' description is fun

Quote Originally Posted by Medievalist View Post
    I've seen their books at bookstores that sell SF and at cons; they have good production values. Someone there pays attention to the details.
    Agreed. And the several I've read have almost all been great books.

let's share our one sentence descriptions!!! We should move to another thread though. . . I think I saw one under Publishers. . . ::goes looking::

It's actually a fun exercise. Like "Orphaned boy copes with the loss of his parents by following in their footsteps--at a school for witches and wizards" or "Killer shark terrorizes New England resort community at the height of tourist season" Or even "Young man discovers his jewelry is the most evil inanimate object on the planet"

OK I got Harry Potter and Jaws, what's the third one from? And I can't find the other Angry Robot thread. I'm either on crack and imagining it or my searching skills are lacking today. need coffee

Lord of the Rings Was going to call it a wedding band, but Frodo's not married LOL! Funny, can't do this for my own MS :0

Listening to my other selves Erin's Avatar
    Oh, crap...I missed the one-sentence requirement. Guess I know what I'll be doing tonight besides formatting! I think I already have a 2-sentence pitch so it shouldn't be too hard.
    DRAGONFLY NIGHTMARE: YA Romantic Suspense - Available Now!
    VIGILANTE NIGHTS: YA Suspense - (Merit Press/F+W Media).

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Want to keep up with my latest news and releases? Subscribe to my Newsletter for FREE eBook, exclusive subscriber only content and giveaways!

I just converted my first five chapters to their requirements (in terms of formatting, etc.) and I'm bashing out character descriptions and trying to figure out a one sentence summary.

Good luck to everyone submitting!
    'shay

Catbooks and Other Methods available now!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast