• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Coffeetown Press / Camel Press / Fanny Press

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's not my cup of tea but the homepage is aimed at readers, plus it's well-edited and free from errors as far as I could see. Those are both good points. I actually enjoyed reading the author bio for the featured selection. The bio was well-written and engaging.

para

Registered
Reaction score
Oh dear, what an unfortunate name. :roll: When I was a child growing up in the UK fanny was slang for a female's front private parts down below, as it were. And they publish erotic fiction and non-fiction. I think I need to exit before I kill myself laughing. :ROFL:

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
In the part of the US where I live, "fanny" is a polite euphemism for the buttocks, and since the site is BDSM...

PS. You Brits are weird, anyway. You run around knocking people up without so much as buying them dinner :D.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It means butt in Canada.

ellisnation

Rhiannon Ellis
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rhiannonellis.com
Fanny Press is associated with Coffeetown Press (non-fic) and Camel Press (fiction). Small presses based out of Seattle, headed by Catherine Treadgold. She's definitely the type you can approach and is very responsive--in case you want to direct questions to her.

Here's what I know of Camel and am sure the same/similiar applies to Fanny: They publish in print and multiple e-book formats. My contract (through Camel and negotiated by my agent) is FABULOUS. Catherine is known as an extraordinary editor--heard this from several authors. Their author list is diverse and interesting...some with very impressive backgrounds. Before I signed, I ordered samples of their currently pubbed books to my Kindle to check the quality of work/writing. Some really good stuff from Fanny/Camel. I must admit, it was their authors and those samples that sold me.

I've also heard (but haven't confirmed) that they have a rather respectable distribution out there in the northwest--does this mean they have local/regional hookups/relationships with brick-and-mortars? No clue.

Their turn around from contract to print is super fast, especially when you consider all 3 presses. I swear, they never sleep.

I know interested authors who have contacted their current authors and have heard all good things. I just signed on last month so I can't really add my two cents yet :)

That's all I can think of...

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Today I was looking for books by an author published by Camel Press. He's got three, A (published in 2011), B (published in 2011), and C (published in 2012). He has another coming out in March 2013.

On Amazon, A, B, and C are available in both trade paperback and Kindle. On Barnes and Noble.com, only the first is available in both pb and Nook. Books B and C are only available in paperback.

Not sure why Camel Press is limiting its audience. It seems a respectable small press specializing in genre fiction - their website About Us says: Camel Press’ books are available in trade paperback and just about any eBook format you can imagine. But that's not true in this case.

I sent a note to their Facebook page, hope I get a reply.

ETA: Well, it seems the other two are part of some Amazon prime members deal, so for 3 months the ebooks are only on Amazon. Not sure if that's standard for small presses, but it's bad news for Nook owners. And the authors, as I'll probably just see if my library has them, rather than buy from Amazon.

Last edited:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I know I ask this question like all the time, but does anyone know if they pay advances? I know they've been around for a while and seem to have a good stable of authors.

rmarquez

Registered
Reaction score
Camel Press

I sent a sample of my novel to Camel Press, affiliated with Coffeehouse Press in Seattle, and they replied within 10 days and asked for the full manuscript, the first book in my series, and synopsis for the next book.

I've done some research on this publisher and I haven't read anything bad, but no particulars. If you've dealt with them or know anything about them, I'd love to hear about it.

If you haven't been able to discern this, I've never had a book published and have no (or hope of getting) an agent.

Thanks.

Last edited:

allen.minor

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recent experience with Coffeetown Press or their imprint, Camel Press?

In my research I've found that they've been around for over 10 years, which is great, and their amazon sales rankings are decent. However, their Internet presence and following is next to nil. Their Facebook has been around for 5 years and has 30 "likes." The same is true with all of their social media outlets. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but for some reason that sets off alarms in my mind.

Also, I haven't been able to find much at all about them, good or bad, in the press. Preditors and Editors doesn't even have either of them listed (though I'm checking specifically for Camel, of course I'm trying to dig into their parent company), and any sites that DO list them (such as this one and Piers Anthony's site) don't have much information at all.

They seem like a legitimate company, but it's troubling that, after 10 years, they don't seem to have left many footprints at all, good or bad, on the Internet, other than simply the existence of their books (which have very little in the way of press). Does anyone have any recent experience with them, or anything at all?

allen.minor

Registered
Reaction score
Any updates on your experiences with them would be greatly appreciated. I've been in contact, but am having a difficult time finding anything, good or bad. Mainly, how is their distribution and marketing?

Verlin

Coattail Karma guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.verlindarrow.com
Is anyone familiar with this publisher? They're an imprint of Epicenter. If so, can anyone compare it to Wild Rose Press?
Thank you ahead of time.
Verlin

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Verlin. I'll ask a supermod to move this thread to Bewares and Background Checks, where it belongs, and to merge it with the existing thread on Coffeetown press.

In future, check the index to see if there's already a thread on a press, please.

ETA: There is already a thread on Wild Rose Press. I'm not perfectly understanding what aspect you want compared between the two, or why you would ask for the comparison given that you would have more firsthand knowledge of Wild Rose Press than pretty much anyone here?

Last edited:

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Well, they say they're an imprint of Epicenter Press and have been publishing since '05. But only 354 followers on Facebook and 276 followers on Twitter...which is not a lot. Their last posts on those channels were '19 and '18, respectively, so they're not doing a lot to promo their own books.

Books are available on bookshop.org, which means they're distributed through Ingram, which means you can buy them new from pretty much any online bookseller.

On Epicenter Press's website, they say they acquired Coffeetown Press in 2018, so maybe that's why Coffeetown Presses's socials are abandonded? But Epicenter's socials ALSO have not been updated since '18/'19. And have even fewer followers than Coffeetown.

But Coffeetown DOES have 2 books under their coming soon section, and you can preorder them thru the normal Ingram channels. So they still exist and are still gong. But don't seem to be doing much promotion for it.

Verlin

Coattail Karma guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.verlindarrow.com
I certainly should have done a search and found the right forum. Coffeetown asked to see my full ms and I became excited and did
not think clearly, plus it has been a long time since I have been on AW.
At any rate, my fourth novel with Wild Rose is releasing in May, so I have not needed any information about other publishers for a while. They have treated me well, but sales and royalties have not been there, despite my marketing efforts.
So I am exploring other houses, and I am seeking whatever people know about Coffeetown. If someone is familiar with the two publishers, because I am quite familiar with WR, a comparison will give me a helpful frame of reference.
Thanks for the assistance.
V