The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Coffeetown Press / Camel Press / Fanny Press

practical experience, FTW

Post Coffeetown Press / Camel Press / Fanny Press

http://fannypress.com/ I stumbled across them on Facebook. Has anyone heard of them?

Well, it's not my cup of tea but the homepage is aimed at readers, plus it's well-edited and free from errors as far as I could see. Those are both good points. I actually enjoyed reading the author bio for the featured selection. The bio was well-written and engaging.
    Why doesn't George R. R. Martin use Twitter? He already killed off all 140 characters.

Oh dear, what an unfortunate name. When I was a child growing up in the UK fanny was slang for a female's front private parts down below, as it were. And they publish erotic fiction and non-fiction. I think I need to exit before I kill myself laughing.

Banned
    With a name like that they have to publish erotica.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    I hardly think the name is an accident.
    Emily Veinglory

Quote Originally Posted by scarletpeaches View Post
    With a name like that they have to publish erotica.
    But...but...but...wouldn't it have to exclude M/M?
    Changing Gears (available now) -- Winning the race doesn’t equal winning at life.

The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

Author website | Author blog

In the part of the US where I live, "fanny" is a polite euphemism for the buttocks, and since the site is BDSM...

PS. You Brits are weird, anyway. You run around knocking people up without so much as buying them dinner .
    Why doesn't George R. R. Martin use Twitter? He already killed off all 140 characters.

Banned
    Fanny = ladygarden.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    It is a... well, regional thing whether fanny means the front or back, and how rude it is considered.
    Emily Veinglory

practical experience, FTW
    It means butt in Canada.

Fanny Press is associated with Coffeetown Press (non-fic) and Camel Press (fiction). Small presses based out of Seattle, headed by Catherine Treadgold. She's definitely the type you can approach and is very responsive--in case you want to direct questions to her.

Here's what I know of Camel and am sure the same/similiar applies to Fanny: They publish in print and multiple e-book formats. My contract (through Camel and negotiated by my agent) is FABULOUS. Catherine is known as an extraordinary editor--heard this from several authors. Their author list is diverse and interesting...some with very impressive backgrounds. Before I signed, I ordered samples of their currently pubbed books to my Kindle to check the quality of work/writing. Some really good stuff from Fanny/Camel. I must admit, it was their authors and those samples that sold me.

I've also heard (but haven't confirmed) that they have a rather respectable distribution out there in the northwest--does this mean they have local/regional hookups/relationships with brick-and-mortars? No clue.

Their turn around from contract to print is super fast, especially when you consider all 3 presses. I swear, they never sleep.

I know interested authors who have contacted their current authors and have heard all good things. I just signed on last month so I can't really add my two cents yet

That's all I can think of...
    Whispers (blog)

Website

BONDED IN BRAZIL - Released March 25, 2011 from Camel Press

DARK WOLF PROTECTOR - Released March 18, 2011 from Cobblestone Press

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Today I was looking for books by an author published by Camel Press. He's got three, A (published in 2011), B (published in 2011), and C (published in 2012). He has another coming out in March 2013.

On Amazon, A, B, and C are available in both trade paperback and Kindle. On Barnes and Noble.com, only the first is available in both pb and Nook. Books B and C are only available in paperback.

Not sure why Camel Press is limiting its audience. It seems a respectable small press specializing in genre fiction - their website About Us says: Camel Press’ books are available in trade paperback and just about any eBook format you can imagine. But that's not true in this case.

I sent a note to their Facebook page, hope I get a reply.

ETA: Well, it seems the other two are part of some Amazon prime members deal, so for 3 months the ebooks are only on Amazon. Not sure if that's standard for small presses, but it's bad news for Nook owners. And the authors, as I'll probably just see if my library has them, rather than buy from Amazon.
    Last edited by juniper; 12-31-2012 at 09:29 AM. Reason: got answer

I know I ask this question like all the time, but does anyone know if they pay advances? I know they've been around for a while and seem to have a good stable of authors.
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter

My YA novel, FIX ME is coming from Flux Books November 2017

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Camel Press

I sent a sample of my novel to Camel Press, affiliated with Coffeehouse Press in Seattle, and they replied within 10 days and asked for the full manuscript, the first book in my series, and synopsis for the next book.

I've done some research on this publisher and I haven't read anything bad, but no particulars. If you've dealt with them or know anything about them, I'd love to hear about it.

If you haven't been able to discern this, I've never had a book published and have no (or hope of getting) an agent.

Thanks.
    Last edited by rmarquez; 01-28-2014 at 06:25 AM.

practical experience, FTW Lauram6123's Avatar
    You can check out this thread

<snipped>
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 01-28-2014 at 09:13 PM. Reason: threads merged, thanks!

Does anyone have any recent experience with Coffeetown Press or their imprint, Camel Press?

In my research I've found that they've been around for over 10 years, which is great, and their amazon sales rankings are decent. However, their Internet presence and following is next to nil. Their Facebook has been around for 5 years and has 30 "likes." The same is true with all of their social media outlets. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but for some reason that sets off alarms in my mind.

Also, I haven't been able to find much at all about them, good or bad, in the press. Preditors and Editors doesn't even have either of them listed (though I'm checking specifically for Camel, of course I'm trying to dig into their parent company), and any sites that DO list them (such as this one and Piers Anthony's site) don't have much information at all.

They seem like a legitimate company, but it's troubling that, after 10 years, they don't seem to have left many footprints at all, good or bad, on the Internet, other than simply the existence of their books (which have very little in the way of press). Does anyone have any recent experience with them, or anything at all?

Any updates on your experiences with them would be greatly appreciated. I've been in contact, but am having a difficult time finding anything, good or bad. Mainly, how is their distribution and marketing?