• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Eraserhead Press / Deadite Press

mlhernandez

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know much about them as far as how they run their company but I have really enjoyed some of their books. I never imagined I'd enjoy Bizarro fiction but it's just so wild and out there it's hard not to love. Their books are a tad on the pricey side but they have nice covers and are good quality.

Hope someone else can give you some info on advances, royalties and such!

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
fascinating! I don't know anything about them but I'm glad to have been introduced.

Summonere

Registered
Reaction score
I've read and reviewed and number of their books and though Bizarro Fiction is, perhaps, an acquired taste, the books I've seen have been well produced, edited, and designed. I've dealt with one of their authors who edits his own annual collection, and he seems a straight-up fellow very willing to work with his authors

If you're not sure what Bizarro fiction is, but think you'd like to submit something to them, you really need to read a few samples of this type of work. Their submission guidelines give only a surface-scratching hint of what they publish.

Some of the stories deliberately avoid traditional narrative structure and make no sense whatsoever (except, perhaps, to authors and editors). Others use traditional structures and heap within them utter nonsense and balderdash of every outlandish kind that, interestingly enough, stitch sensibly together within the larger structure to at once subvert and satirize the form.

Still not clear?

From one book: an acne-scourged fellow with the skin of a baby's bottom grafted onto his face, said fellow appalled because no one wants to touch it. Then there's a pediatrician named Thunderlove who scares children because his blue-irised eyes protrude on green-gray stalks. And carnivorous breasts (yes, breasts) rampaging through a theater. And cocktail party crasher who finds giant hors d'oeuvres devouring tiny people. And a clown-face-shaped room in which skinless people sit in chairs upholstered with their own hide. And so on.

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
they say no experimentalism...

What we are looking for in stories: Strong characters. Strong plot. Strange and outlandish worlds. Think classic pulp fiction but if it were written by Lynch, Cronenberg, or Jodorowsky. Only submit your very best.

What we are not looking for: Literary experimentalism. Stories where the main character wanders around in a drugged haze. Stories that take place in mental institutions. Stories where weird shit happens just for the sake of weirdshit happening. Stories about Wizards. Stories that substitute violence and sex for weirdness. Traditional genre fiction.

megoblocks

Banned
Reaction score
Well they did put out "Help! A bear is eating me!" which I thought was hysterical. Still hoping someone around here had some personal dealings as well :)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, Eraserhead's imprint Deadite Press has picked up most of the core horror writers from Dorchester - Leisure.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
they say no experimentalism...
What we are looking for in stories: Strong characters. Strong plot. Strange and outlandish worlds. Think classic pulp fiction but if it were written by Lynch, Cronenberg, or Jodorowsky. Only submit your very best.

What we are not looking for: Literary experimentalism. Stories where the main character wanders around in a drugged haze. Stories that take place in mental institutions. Stories where weird shit happens just for the sake of weird shit happening. Stories about Wizards. Stories that substitute violence and sex for weirdness. Traditional genre fiction.
Huh. From the initial descriptions, I'd imagined they were publishing Soylent-MFA manuscripts, but what you're quoting there sounds like a voice from the SF/Fantasy/Horror community.

That doesn't mean I vouch for them. I'm just tentatively identifying their tribe.

Last edited:

Night_Writer

It's all symbolic.
Registered
Reaction score
They're having open submissions right now, till the end of June. Might be worth a shot if you write that kind of thing.