• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Coffee Mug Books / The Coffee House

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
The designers there are extremely talented and prices are ridiculously affordable! Better yet, they are taking on many writer's projects and designing/publishing under the Coffee House, Coffee Mug Books Imprint, their own company, using their own ISBN's and doing their own promotional work, and writer's keep all their rights!!

They even edit your work and everything and it's totally legit!
Are you part of Coffee House, because the way your post is phrased, it sounds like you're speaking of them as a third party. However, Jeremy Marack posted on the website:

I am head Editor and assistant Graphic Designer for Coffee House and Coffee House Books, a Division of J&D Publishing and Agency.
I assume the "J" stands for him, Jeremy, but does the "D" stand for "Desirae Hennington"? If so, isn't that you?

I'm also concerned about Coffee House being both publisher and agency. Can someone else enlighten be? I thought that's usually considered a conflict of interest.

They're even working with Barnes & Noble and other bookstores as "publishers" and are speaking about filing proper paperwork to get the highly marketable books using their imprint in bookstores!!
How do B&N and other bookstores act as "publishers"? I'm very confused now. Does this mean Coffee House will get the books in brick and mortar stores, or are you talking about getting it listed in their online stores?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Small detail: If the author doesn't own the ISBN, then the author isn't self-published.

Moving to BR&BC.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
POD printing works the same with the ones who have the DIY option. You simply upload your interior files and cover design, but with your own Coffee House Imprint ISBN and label so places like CreateSpace and Lulu won't have to be listed as your "publisher." & They do not charge for using their imprint at all. You keep all your royalties, etc.

They're doing it as a way to get Independent writers discovered. So let's come together.
Gracious, this sounds like an advertisement. Are you a part of this company?

So this company offers both "traditional" publishing and pay-to-play publishing. Le sigh. First off, does anyone even know what "traditional" publishing is anymore?

Seems that this term has been tweaked, twisted, morphed, and choked into whatever new publisher decides it is - and this drives me nuts because it confuses authors into making decisions that aren't in their best interests.

"Traditional" publishing (lordy be, but I hate that word) means that they pay advances, they actively market and promote their titles, they assume all production and distribution costs, they have standard royalty rates that don't include taking out costs for printing, marketing, promoting, and whatever else costs they can think up, AND they have distribution to the marketplace (which, for small indies, means they signed a distribution deal with a reputable indie distributor whose sales teams pitch their titles to the national accounts, libraries, and specialized marketplaces).

It is very non-"traditional" to mix pay-to-play with trade publishing because there is so much room for abuse. The first is the worry that the p-t-p side is funding the "traditional" side. If the "traditional" side runs low on cash, they have all kinds of authors willing to pay because they "don't qualify" for the "traditional" route. And voila, instant financial solvency. In short, it's a conflict of interest.
They even edit your work and everything and it's totally legit!
What does this mean? Legit? Legit how?

They're even working with Barnes & Noble and other bookstores as "publishers" and are speaking about filing proper paperwork to get the highly marketable books using their imprint in bookstores!!
This isn't rocket science. This is simply filling out paperwork and filing it with the Small Press Depts. at the corporate headquarters of the national chains. They review the titles and decide whether they want to order any books for their stores. More often than not, they decline and simply put through the paperwork to make the title available in the chain's database - making it possible for that title to be ordered.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
: ) I didn't write that segment that I posted above, I found it on another site and posted it here.
Perhaps you might edit your original post to put the cited text in a quote box, with a link to the original? Otherwise it appears as if you wrote it -- and that could be construed as plagiarism.

adding: Oddly, a Google search of the text comes up with the original post in this thread, but nothing else. Can you tell us the site you found it on?

Last edited:

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
: ) I didn't write that segment that I posted above, I found it on another site and posted it here.

As far as names go: Quelle coïncidence!
So you're just a client with Coffee House?

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Be nice if there was a site or a place where samples of work from both artists and writers could be seen. Launching a WP blog without either seems a little premature.
Axler, they show examples of the cover art they've designed, including the cover for the OP on this thread, here:
http://coffeemugbooks.blogspot.com/p/ludify.html

There's also Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1453897232/?tag=absowrit-20

Hopefully Rae will come back and let us know if she's a happy satisfied client etc.
Editing to add: Ah, never mind. I see that on Amazon we learn "Rae Hachton, properly pronounced "H-ton," is the Nom de Plume of author Desirae Hennington", and Desirae Hennington has a photography gallery which includes the photo of the gentleman who is Jeremy Marack, the Coffee House head editor, and who also appears to be the gentleman-half of the attractive couple featured in the photo-portrait on Desirae Hennington's blog. And indeed, Jeremy Marack has proudly noted that he recently married Rae Hachton.

So, unless Rae comes back to tell us otherwise, Rae is indeed intimately associated with Coffee House, rendering her a less-than-unbiased party.

Last edited:

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Axler, they show examples of the cover art they've designed, including the cover for the OP on this thread, here:
http://coffeemugbooks.blogspot.com/p/ludify.html

There's also Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1453897232/?tag=absowrit-20

Hopefully Rae will come back and let us know if she's a happy satisfied client etc.
Editing to add: Ah, never mind. I see that on Amazon we learn "Rae Hachton, properly pronounced "H-ton," is the Nom de Plume of author Desirae Hennington", and Desirae Hennington has a photography gallery which includes the photo of the gentleman who is Jeremy Marack, the Coffee House head editor, and who also appears to be the gentleman-half of the attractive couple featured in the photo-portrait on Desirae Hennington's blog. And indeed, Jeremy Marack has proudly noted that he recently married Rae Hachton.

So, unless Rae comes back to tell us otherwise, Rae is indeed intimately associated with Coffee House, rendering her a less-than-unbiased party.

I suspected there was a vested interest from the first post.

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad Unimportant found that. I Googled Mr. Marak earlier and turned up a photo gallery (labeled J&D) of the pair.

I wasn't sure if I should bring it up or give the OP a chance to explain herself first.

[EDIT] The gallery in which they appeared more than just friends was removed or changed to private, which to me means I saw something I wasn't meant to, and someone is doing damage control. If anyone needs proof I can email them a screenshot of the gallery. Just PM me.

Last edited:

raehachton

~Just Joined 12/17/10~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
raehachton.blogspot.com
And indeed, Jeremy Marack has proudly noted that he recently married Rae Hachton.

So, unless Rae comes back to tell us otherwise, Rae is indeed intimately associated with Coffee House, rendering her a less-than-unbiased party.[/QUOTE]

Hey guys, I just did a little chuckle inside. If you click on the above link that announced that he was "married" to me, you might see something completely different, since that is like a myspace app that people use for fun. Yes, I do personally know him---we've been friends for a while---and he's a pretty awesome designer. I don't think this should be taken out of context since we appeared in a picture together, because we attended the same college.

So, it's pretty much like this: if you'd like to have a reasonable design for the cover of your book, contact him.

If not, then don't pay it any further attention.

: )

PS: it's not been noted that I might not decide to be an editor in the future there at Coffee House. & I wouldn't see why it would be such a big deal.

If you want and/or need help with your book, there are people more than willing to assist you. If not, then that's okay, too.

Perhaps in the future, when more things are out there by this company, this thread can be removed from this particular listing.

But until then, I totally understand.

Thank You!

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Threads don't usually get removed. If things change the new information is added.

Last edited:

raehachton

~Just Joined 12/17/10~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
raehachton.blogspot.com
I'm glad Unimportant found that. I Googled Mr. Marak earlier and turned up a photo gallery (labeled J&D) of the pair.

I wasn't sure if I should bring it up or give the OP a chance to explain herself first.

[EDIT] The gallery in which they appeared more than just friends was removed or changed to private, which to me means I saw something I wasn't meant to, and someone is doing damage control. If anyone needs proof I can email them a screenshot of the gallery. Just PM me.

Haha! I think you're just being really immature and ridiculous. You should use your time to do something productive.

And I really don't think googiling images of people, etc, and posting them here or taking screenshots makes the designs any less than what they are.

I DO personally know him, as I just so obviously admitted to.

And he's not the only person who designs, edits, etc at Coffee House.

Designs are designs and I think all of this is completely unnecessary and I would appreciate it if this would cease, as that would be kindly appreciated.

Thank You!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...Designs are designs and I think all of this is completely unnecessary and I would appreciate it if this would cease, as that would be kindly appreciated.
It's a little late for that now, rae. The best thing you can do at this point is to stop posting in this thread, and it will die out on its own.

Also, please refrain from insulting members here and calling them "immature" and "ridiculous."

raehachton

~Just Joined 12/17/10~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
raehachton.blogspot.com
Thank You!

I am going to stop responding here.

Last note: You inform me to not "insult" people on here, but it's perfectly okay for you to ridicule and harass people whom you do not even know?

Nice!

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
PS: it's not been noted that I might not decide to be an editor in the future there at Coffee House. & I wouldn't see why it would be such a big deal.

If you want and/or need help with your book, there are people more than willing to assist you. If not, then that's okay, too
Does this mean you were going to be an editor for Coffee House, but now you might not be one "in the future"? Are you one of the people "willing to assist" potential clients? [Edit] Actually, nevermind. I forgot Rae said she won't be back.

Haha! I think you're just being really immature and ridiculous. You should use your time to do something productive.

And I really don't think googiling images of people, etc, and posting them here or taking screenshots makes the designs any less than what they are.
It doesn't mean a thing about the quality of the designs, true, but it's not the images that are the issue. It led me to believe is that your OP was misleading and suspect you were not being forthright.

Designs are designs and I think all of this is completely unnecessary and I would appreciate it if this would cease, as that would be kindly appreciated.
I respectfully disagree that "all of this" is ridiculous and unnecessary and believe I have been doing something productive: researching the qualifications and reputation of a new publisher.

Last note: You inform me to not "insult" people on here, but it's perfectly okay for you to ridicule and harass people whom you do not even know?
It may feel like harassment to you, but there was none. Nor was there ridicule. You and Coffee House were given the same scrutiny any publisher on AW gets. You may wish to lurk in the "Bewares" forum as there's a lot of useful publishing information there.

Last edited:

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Thank You!

I am going to stop responding here.

Nice!
I was going to respond to this, then realized rae gave us her word that she won't be coming back back to this thread; so there's no point in me wasting any more space in this discussion.