• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

I'll read your book, you read mine

Status
Not open for further replies.

saeglopur

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a 68,000 word edgy YA love story, complete. It's been through a couple rounds of querying. It's been re-written a couple times now.

I want to send you the whole thing, just click and send. I still get nervous when people read my writing, and haven't had the guts to hand it over to someone I know personally, probably because the characters are so completely based on people I know very well.

I have 2 other books complete, a snarky/sarcastic YA paranormal romance and a fairly cut and dried dystopian YA.

In terms of my reading tastes, I actually don't read an extreme amount of YA. I like Kurt Vonnegut, Ian McEwan, Phillipa Gregory, Orson Scott Card, Ayn Rand and anything with zombies, or having to do with Detective Alex Cross. My favorite YA books are the Hunger Games trilogy, classic YA (and mid-grade), The Book Thief, and A Great and Terrible Beauty (and the rest of that series)... so I'm kind of all over the place... I LOVE BOOKS :) been having a love affair with them for about 20 years now.

So, what am I looking for:

-I am looking for someone who is in a similar boat to me. You've written a book or two, or three, or maybe more. You've put 'em up to bat with agents or editors, and you're still not published... you like to think that the reason you're not published is mainly because your confidence is not up to snuff so you haven't been able to market yourself, or push your novels. You're a little fragile in that area. But the main point here, is that you have actually finished a book, and attempted to get published.

-You write YA, or cross-over. A little sci-fi is cool, but not too high of fantasy. The last person I tried this with, I needed a map and a character list to make it through the first chapter. Not really interested in that. We need to have at least semi-comparable taste. We can discuss this further though.

-You want to be my in-depth writing buddy. We will read each other's stuff, discuss it, become acquainted with each other's characters, etc. and have a mutual interest in each other's progress.

-You can be BRUTALLY HONEST. I want you to tell me what actually sucks and what rocks. You need to be able to accept similar criticism.

Am I asking too much? Or are you out there?

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Saeglopur (catchy name (doh!).
Okay, I'll pm you and let's see if we are a fit.

marewrath

Registered
Reaction score
I would love to exchange writing with you, i desperately need a beta reading, and I share some of the same interests in authors as you. My manuscript is about an eighteen year old girl who cannot remember the tragic events of her past. my email is [email protected] if youre interested

marewrath

Registered
Reaction score
I would love to exchange writing with you, i desperately need a beta reading, and I share some of the same interests in authors as you. My manuscript is about an eighteen year old girl who cannot remember the tragic events of her past. my email is [email protected] if youre interested

Status
Not open for further replies.