• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Spencer Hill Press

KateKaynak

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm back again! Yes, Spencer Hill Press has grown in the past two years. We now have eighteen authors and are putting out about one book each month, which will increase in 2013 to an average of two books each month. All of our contracts now pay on list price (with escalators), since we now have North American distribution through Midpoint Trade Books and do offset print runs for most of our new titles, so the net 30% model became outdated. And we also gave all of our original authors the opportunity to amend their contracts to pay on list price.

We're closed to submissions now because our production schedule is full through the end of 2013, but we plan to continue having an open submissions period each year. The next one is scheduled to open December 1st.

Please ask if you have further questions about Spencer Hill Press. I'm happy to give you the current info, and much of the 2010 stuff in this thread is now largely out-of-date.

writer1709

Registered
Reaction score
Submission

Hello Kate,

I have heard such wonderful things about Spencer Hill from my writer friends and wanted some confirmation?

What is the maximum word count for novels? How many paper copies is each author given? How much of an advance is given to an author? Can a book series be published with SHP?

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Rejection on my WriteOn Con request today. It was incredibly detailed -- a good couple paragraphs from one of the editors. Very insightful and helpful.

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
We recently got Jennifer Armentrout's new book, PURE, into B&N.

I am impressed it is in B&N.

I am not impressed by the book.

It looks very amateurish-margins, gutters, typeface all look a little wonky, like someone who doesn't design books did the layout, and the cover doesn't look anything like the rest of the teen paranormal romance section. Typeface on the cover is also nearly impossible to read.

Admittedly, this is a sample size of 1. Please take with the requisite grains of salt.

tprevost

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know the response time for Spencer Hill Press? I just submitted for their open submissions period!

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Does anyone know the response time for Spencer Hill Press? I just submitted for their open submissions period!

I was wondering that, too. I also submitted, and I'm really hoping they'll request to read the full manuscript. Based on what I read off their site and blogs, (and having just finished reading Elemental), I keep thinking the manuscript would fit well with them. Guess I'll just have to wait. In the meantime, crossing my fingers good luck for everyone submitting. :)

tprevost

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!
I submitted my book for the open submissions season on December 1st, and just received a request for a full this afternoon!!! Wish me luck!!!

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, tprevost! I also submitted my novel 'YA/Fantasy) and we'll see what happens. Best of luck to all concerned.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
An update: Today I got a request from them to read the full manuscript! I'm both excited and nervous. :-D

Unfortunately, when I sent it, the e-mail bounced saying they're inbox was full. So I shall wait until tomorrow afternoon and try resending it then.

As a side note, for anyone tracking query times, I submitted the query on December 2nd.

:)

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
They just asked me for my full manuscript today. We shall see what happens with Mr. Taxi.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I want to submit here but I'm leary that they haven't submitted some of the stuff on their site. Just makes me pause.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I want to submit here but I'm leary that they haven't submitted some of the stuff on their site. Just makes me pause.

---

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Did you mean they haven't published the books on their site? Or am I wrong?

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I meant, they haven't UPDATED some of their stuff on their site. Sorry, been up a long time.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
By the way, in response to the full inbox thing, they recently tweeted:

"Submissions emails are coming through! The mailbox full message you are getting is for a secondary backup -- please ignore!"

So it looks like that shouldn't be a problem if anyone got that message. :)

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I got the reject message about five times and then finally, my e-mail got through. They must be busy.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Out of curiosity, does anyone know what their average response time to fulls are? Or how many queries they received/asked fulls from? I wasn't sure if they'd posted it anywhere, and it's always fascinating to me to see what the statistics are.