• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Prospect Agency

rtrgirl

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted to them in May on an earlier project and never heard back. Just FYI.

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
That's comforting, he says, sarcastically....

honeysock

Tell me to leave. Please.
Registered
Reaction score
"80 days and counting for me. They ought to rename it the Slow-As-Molasses Agency."

Only, they're not so slow when it comes to informing you that you are not following instructions. I queried on 11/11. On 11/12 I received an email telling me they do not take "repeat submissions," and according to their records, I had already submitted to them.

Really? That was so long ago--at least 5 years, 10 revisions, 3 moves, and 1 computer ago--that I no longer have my query log from that time period. In fact, I queried them this time because I didn't recognize the name of the agency and was *sure* I hadn't contacted them before.

Hmph! I definitely won't make that mistake again.

curlbe

Registered
Reaction score
"80 days and counting for me. They ought to rename it the Slow-As-Molasses Agency."

Only, they're not so slow when it comes to informing you that you are not following instructions. I queried on 11/11. On 11/12 I received an email telling me they do not take "repeat submissions," and according to their records, I had already submitted to them.

Really? That was so long ago--at least 5 years, 10 revisions, 3 moves, and 1 computer ago--that I no longer have my query log from that time period. In fact, I queried them this time because I didn't recognize the name of the agency and was *sure* I hadn't contacted them before.

Interesting - and rather bizarre - story. Were they even around five years a go? Maybe they have an automatic filter that recognizes names or titles that have been submitted before?? Are you sure you did actually submit all that time a go because maybe (esp if it's a filter of some kind) they made a mistake and you have a similar name/title to someone who submitted more recently? I've never heard of an agency balking at a resubmission five years later because most agents admit quite honestly, the chances of them remembering a specific query - or even a manuscript - they read five years later is unlikely.

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score

Just change the title of your book (it's not permanent) and re-submit. Assuming you want to re-submit.

brimfire

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard this story before -some getting a quick replying tellling a writer not to submit more than one project at a time. I think I might have read it over at QueryTracker. Anyway, that makes me think it could be an automatically generated message or the filter thing curlbe mentioned. Maybe.

honeysock

Tell me to leave. Please.
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting - and rather bizarre - story. Were they even around five years a go? Maybe they have an automatic filter that recognizes names or titles that have been submitted before?? Are you sure you did actually submit all that time a go because maybe (esp if it's a filter of some kind) they made a mistake and you have a similar name/title to someone who submitted more recently? I've never heard of an agency balking at a resubmission five years later because most agents admit quite honestly, the chances of them remembering a specific query - or even a manuscript - they read five years later is unlikely.

I know! The reply came so quickly it did seem like an automated response. I don't know if they were around five years ago (I've researched so d*** many agencies these last few weeks they're all a blur now) but I know I didn't submit twice to them this time around. My record-keeping is pretty good.

And yeah, I probably won't re-submit. They take forever to respond to first-time queries (or not at all, according to this thread) yet they're all over re-submissions. Does putting me in my place really take priority over all those unanswered queries?

Just gonna move on.

curlbe

Registered
Reaction score
And yeah, I probably won't re-submit. They take forever to respond to first-time queries (or not at all, according to this thread) yet they're all over re-submissions. Does putting me in my place really take priority over all those unanswered queries? Just gonna move on.

Yeah, probably for the best. I submitted back in Aug and never heard...good luck with the other agents you're querying/submitting to!

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, is anyone out in the AW universe a client of these folks, and if so, are they as ponderously slow when you're signed with them as they are in responding to queries?

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
For those of you who never got a response from this agency, did you get the confirmation e-mail they sent after making your submission on their website?

Still waiting to hear back on mine. Submitted July 31, received confirmation e-mail same day. I'm still thinking they might possibly respond (a submission last year went nearly four months, August 12 to December 5), but of course, I'm really not expecting it anymore.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
For those of you who never got a response from this agency, did you get the confirmation e-mail they sent after making your submission on their website?

Still waiting to hear back on mine. Submitted July 31, received confirmation e-mail same day. I'm still thinking they might possibly respond (a submission last year went nearly four months, August 12 to December 5), but of course, I'm really not expecting it anymore.

I queried them a few weeks ago and got the confirmation email after submitting. Last year, I submitted another book and it took 3 months for them to respond to me--the day after Thanksgiving--request for full. It was rejected within a week. I don't have any problems with that kind of response!

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
They clocked in at under three months from initial query to a personal rejection on a full for me. I queried them in mid-August, sent the full at the end of October and received a polite, informative rejection last week. My experience with them has been timely and positive.

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Good to know. They do say on their website that they don't necessarily read submissions in order of receipt, which probably explains the disparity in response times. Maybe I still have a hope...

Of course, if I hear anything, I'll be sure to post :)

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
I got the confirmation e-mail on my late August query. Not a peep since.

brimfire

Registered
Reaction score
It took me about three months to get a request for a full from the query and three chapters. After that, it was about a month to a personalized rejection and invitation to submit future projects. I submited a couple of weeks ago with a new manuscript and mentioned the invitation. I'm still waiting (it hasn't been long at all), and do think they'll get to everyone's queries in time.

Hooty'smom

Registered
Reaction score
Krista and Traven, have you heard anything? I submitted in late July and still no word.

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
Not a word. Zero, zip, nada, bupkis, zilch, the sum of f-all.

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Krista and Traven, have you heard anything? I submitted in late July and still no word.

No word here, either. Maybe they'll get back on top of submissions after the new year. Here's hoping :)

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
I've already consigned them to my "Lost at Sea" category. Even in slow-as-molasses Agent World, taking four or five months just to respond to a query is a bit much to take.

AlterEgox5

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
abooksellerblog.blogspot.com
For anyone wondering, here's what the confirmation email states:

Thank you for submitting to Prospect Agency! We
look forward to reading the uploaded sample
manuscript, Crossover. We appreciate your patience
while we review your work. In most cases, you
should expect to hear a response within three
months. Please keep this receipt for your
records.

Respectfully,
Prospect Agency

Then they give some super-long "Submission Id" number. Whatever that's supposed to mean.

I queried October 1st. Haven't heard a peep. I have a note in my query log to do an auto-reject after 3 months. Now that's not what they say will happen, but I'm just going to assume. *shrug*

Hooty'smom

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm... Thanks for the info., fellow writers. I have two other queries outstanding with other agents going on five months as well. Is my work really so bad that they don't respond? :) I'm a little paranoid because one agent never responded to me after requesting a partial, even though she requested a SASE. Anyhoo... here's hoping we'll hear. In the meantime, God bless and have a Merry Christmas...