• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Prospect Agency

the bollocks

Has anyone ever heard of prospect agency? Not on P&E, new agency founded by a branch off agent of Writer's House. Does anyone know anything about this agency?

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Do you have a website and a physical location for the agency?

Added:
Is it this one: http://www.prospectagency.com ?

Point in its favor is the founder spent almost six years with Writers House. I can't find info on anyone else working there, however, and the website says, "Agency specialties are romance, women's fiction, science fiction & fantasy, historical fiction and young adult literature, though all genres of literature are welcome," which seems broad for one person.

Last edited:

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
bollocks, I crossposted my edits with your post. See above.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I found Emily to be very professional, and very fast in her response time. Based on her Writer's House background, I would gather that she has the contacts and experience necessary in this business.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
P&E had her listed before with Writers Agency. We've since updated that listing and added one for her new agency. We don't have any complaints regarding her and consider her to be an acceptable agent.

N.C. Murphy

I've read

Emily Sylvan Kim is looking for strong characters and a gripping story but is no longer accepting fantasy based material at this time. To bad for me! But good luck to you. The fact that she was at writer's house for so long is a very telling trait. It's pretty much all you really need to know about her because Writer's house is one of the largest agency there is. They handle some of the largest names in the business and work with The largest names in the business ie. V.C. Andrews estate, plus many others. Good luck!

Brenda

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thescruffydogreview.com
I submitted a YA ms to her a while back but she ultimately rejected it. She's very professional and just plain nice. She has my other adult novel now.

I uploaded the YA ms on the website, but I ended up mailing a hard copy at her request. She has three deals listed on PM since the beginning of the year.

Hope this helps.

Brenda

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Starlightmntn said:
Has anyone had any experience with a complete manuscript submission to Prospect?
Yep. :)

Emily's the real deal. Had a lovely phone call with her as well; was on the phone with her for about 40 minutes. She's terrific, and I'm sure her clients are in good hands.

Reactions: capricornair

ByGrace

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad to read all the good comments about Ms. Kim. I found her on Publishers Marketplace and sent her my partial for a historical novel.

How long did it take her to respond?

Maddog

Registered
Reaction score
About a month for a full request from Prospect. They are legit.

Last edited:
Reactions: capricornair

Jill C.

Good luck Maddog!
I sent an equery today and will post again when I hear back.

Aprylwriter

i am dragon. roar.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Yes, they are a very legit and reputable agency. Emily Sylvan Kim is the agent and she used to be with Writer's House.I got a rejection about two months after sending a query, but she was very nice and professional.

Apryl

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
Just chiming in: Yes, Emily Kim is legit, and I've heard very good things about her.

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
Question re. Prospect Agency

From the Prospect Agency website:

"In addition, we ask that you submit only one manuscript at a time. Simultaneous submissions will be declined."

Do you think they're using the term "simultaneous submissions" to mean submitting more than one ms at a time--or do they mean the way the term is usually used; i.e., submitting to more than one agency at a time?

I guess I could write them and ask....but you guys are so smart.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com

"In addition, we ask that you submit only one manuscript at a time. Simultaneous submissions will be declined."

Do you think they're using the term "simultaneous submissions" to mean submitting more than one ms at a time--or do they mean the way the term is usually used; i.e., submitting to more than one agency at a time?

I would assume they mean it in the context that it was written -- multiple submissions to their agency. I don't think I've run across an agency that didn't accept simultaneous (i.e. multiple agencies) submissons. I'm sure there are some but I would throw them down at the bottom of the list. Now, for partials/fulls some agencies ask for 'exclusives', but for a query package I'd just assume they meant multiple queries to their agency.

KAP

Hangin' with the gargies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keithpyeatt.com

So if I answer this question, does that mean I'm smart? Maybe Mama was right?

Okay, right or wrong, smart or not, I think simultaneous submission in the context they use means more than one ms. at a time, two (or more) simultaneously.

And don't tell me if I'm not smart after all. Mama don't like disappointment.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
So?
The agent concerned has verifiable sales and was previously at Writers House. All this means is that she isn't prepared to pay the extortionate office rental rate in NY.

Reaction score
I have nothing to add. I just wanted to join in a thread started by someone called the bollocks. :D

Penguin Queen

Break the rules.
Registered
Reaction score
Cardiff. Berlin. Mars. (One day.) Buenos Aires, so
Website
www.herrad.net
Yes, there is that. :D

Actually, while busy procrastinating I chanced upon this thread, and altho I thought I'd given up on trying to find a North American agent, I liked the look of their website & went & submitted my short stories to them.
So in the exceedingly unlikely event that they'll have me, I suppose I'll have to credit AW and The Bollocks for it.