AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 14 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: Prospect Agency

the bollocks

Prospect Agency

Has anyone ever heard of prospect agency? Not on P&E, new agency founded by a branch off agent of Writer's House. Does anyone know anything about this agency?

Gone
    Do you have a website and a physical location for the agency?

Added:
    Is it this one: http://www.prospectagency.com ?

Point in its favor is the founder spent almost six years with Writers House. I can't find info on anyone else working there, however, and the website says, "Agency specialties are romance, women's fiction, science fiction & fantasy, historical fiction and young adult literature, though all genres of literature are welcome," which seems broad for one person.
    Last edited by Aconite; 10-04-2005 at 02:33 AM.

the bollocks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aconite
    Do you have a website and a physical location for the agency?
    www.prospectagency.com

285 Fifth Ave
    Brooklyn, NY 11215

Gone
    bollocks, I crossposted my edits with your post. See above.

Writer and Editor
    New agency with an established agent. Emily Sylvan Kim is the agent. She spent 6 years at Writers House Literary Agency in New York. She responds quickly to submissions made through a form on her website.

http://prospectagency.com/submissions.html

Make that VERY quickly.

I write stuff and break boards. dragonjax's Avatar
    I found Emily to be very professional, and very fast in her response time. Based on her Writer's House background, I would gather that she has the contacts and experience necessary in this business.
    "Undying Love," a short story by Jackie Kessler in FANTASY FOR GOOD - a charity anthology to help fight colon cancer

Preditors & Editors Requiescat In Pace DaveKuzminski's Avatar
    P&E had her listed before with Writers Agency. We've since updated that listing and added one for her new agency. We don't have any complaints regarding her and consider her to be an acceptable agent.
    When it comes to PA, the royalty check and the reality check arrive in the same envelope.

Remember to be kind to writers who step in PA. They really don't know how bad it smells.

The difference between PA and WLA? None. Both have the stench of dead and dying books emanating from their doorways.

figuring it all out
    Has anyone had any experience with a complete manuscript submission to Prospect?

N.C. Murphy

Smile I've read

Emily Sylvan Kim is looking for strong characters and a gripping story but is no longer accepting fantasy based material at this time. To bad for me! But good luck to you. The fact that she was at writer's house for so long is a very telling trait. It's pretty much all you really need to know about her because Writer's house is one of the largest agency there is. They handle some of the largest names in the business and work with The largest names in the business ie. V.C. Andrews estate, plus many others. Good luck!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Brenda's Avatar
    I submitted a YA ms to her a while back but she ultimately rejected it. She's very professional and just plain nice. She has my other adult novel now.

I uploaded the YA ms on the website, but I ended up mailing a hard copy at her request. She has three deals listed on PM since the beginning of the year.

Hope this helps.

Brenda

I write stuff and break boards. dragonjax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlightmntn
    Has anyone had any experience with a complete manuscript submission to Prospect?
    Yep.

Emily's the real deal. Had a lovely phone call with her as well; was on the phone with her for about 40 minutes. She's terrific, and I'm sure her clients are in good hands.
    "Undying Love," a short story by Jackie Kessler in FANTASY FOR GOOD - a charity anthology to help fight colon cancer

practical experience, FTW
    I'm glad to read all the good comments about Ms. Kim. I found her on Publishers Marketplace and sent her my partial for a historical novel.

How long did it take her to respond?

practical experience, FTW Maddog's Avatar
    About a month for a full request from Prospect. They are legit.
    Last edited by Maddog; 03-09-2007 at 08:35 PM.

Jill C.
    Good luck Maddog!
    I sent an equery today and will post again when I hear back.

Yes, they are a very legit and reputable agency. Emily Sylvan Kim is the agent and she used to be with Writer's House.I got a rejection about two months after sending a query, but she was very nice and professional.

Apryl

practical experience, FTW Claudia Gray's Avatar
    Just chiming in: Yes, Emily Kim is legit, and I've heard very good things about her.

Frustrated Pluviophile seaaircarol's Avatar

Question Question re. Prospect Agency

From the Prospect Agency website:

"In addition, we ask that you submit only one manuscript at a time. Simultaneous submissions will be declined."

Do you think they're using the term "simultaneous submissions" to mean submitting more than one ms at a time--or do they mean the way the term is usually used; i.e., submitting to more than one agency at a time?

I guess I could write them and ask....but you guys are so smart.

Quote Originally Posted by seaaircarol View Post

"In addition, we ask that you submit only one manuscript at a time. Simultaneous submissions will be declined."

Do you think they're using the term "simultaneous submissions" to mean submitting more than one ms at a time--or do they mean the way the term is usually used; i.e., submitting to more than one agency at a time?

I would assume they mean it in the context that it was written -- multiple submissions to their agency. I don't think I've run across an agency that didn't accept simultaneous (i.e. multiple agencies) submissons. I'm sure there are some but I would throw them down at the bottom of the list. Now, for partials/fulls some agencies ask for 'exclusives', but for a query package I'd just assume they meant multiple queries to their agency.

Quote Originally Posted by seaaircarol View Post

So if I answer this question, does that mean I'm smart? Maybe Mama was right?

Okay, right or wrong, smart or not, I think simultaneous submission in the context they use means more than one ms. at a time, two (or more) simultaneously.

And don't tell me if I'm not smart after all. Mama don't like disappointment.
    Horror with Heart
    -----------
    Daeva- When evil knows your mind, fight it with your heart.
    Struck
    - Lightning isn't always an act of nature. Sometimes it's a calling.
    Dark Knowledge - When good and evil intertwine, taking one means accepting the other.
    Above Haldis Notch - Vengeance doesn't always end at the grave.

Always writing AW Moderator Calla Lily's Avatar
    Emily Sylvan Kim requested a hard copy of my full today. (Eeeee!) Took about 3.5 months from my submission to her request.

How early does the post office open?

Frustrated Pluviophile seaaircarol's Avatar
    Thanks everyone, and good luck, Callalily!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by the bollocks View Post
    www.prospectagency.com

285 Fifth Ave
    Brooklyn, NY 11215
    I have no knowlege of any agents, but I live right near that adddress, and it's a mailbox rental place.

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    So?
    The agent concerned has verifiable sales and was previously at Writers House. All this means is that she isn't prepared to pay the extortionate office rental rate in NY.

Banned
    I have nothing to add. I just wanted to join in a thread started by someone called the bollocks.

Cardiff. Berlin. Mars. (One day.) Buenos Aires, sometimes.
    Yes, there is that.

Actually, while busy procrastinating I chanced upon this thread, and altho I thought I'd given up on trying to find a North American agent, I liked the look of their website & went & submitted my short stories to them.
    So in the exceedingly unlikely event that they'll have me, I suppose I'll have to credit AW and The Bollocks for it.
    The Woman who loved an Octopus
    and other Saints' Tales.
    Short stories about mermaids, refugees, circus acts, birds, rape, love, death and miracles.
    "A relevant collection for now." (Beth Taylor, Western Mail)
    MySpace

Page 1 of 14 123456711 ... LastLast