Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: A Crisis...

emile

A Crisis...

Hi there! I'm quite new here and I'm in quite a dillemma (sp?). I'm an unrepresented writer that just finished an adaptation of a popular video game. I wanted to submit the screenplay to a respectable company, but I asked the developers of the game if I might do that.

(I have no idea why i did that...)

they responded quite negatively, so i decided to take another approach: find an agent.

can someone help in explaining whether or not it's legal to do this or not and (if possible) direct into the right direction.

please.

regards

Emile

My feeling is no (but consult a lawyer). If the game creators/owners do not grant you the right to use their characters, settings, and stories, you don't have anything. No agent would take you on, really.

Now, if you do get permission or the rights to do this, an agent would be interested if the game is very popular (did you see the DOOM movie trailers? )

I didn't want to work. It was as simple as that. I distrusted work, disliked it. I thought it was a very bad thing that the human race had unfortunately invented for itself.
    -- Agatha Christie

The Pacific Between A Bunch of Stories
    (2006 IPPY Award)

WIP: Beyond the Banyan Tree - draft 9, 125,000 words

Home Page | Blog | Reviews

Ooo! Shiny new cover! Absolute Sage Cathy C's Avatar
    What you've written is called a "derivative work," in the language of copyrights. Generally you are not allowed to publish a derivative work without permission from the owner of the video/RPG world. A video game has the same copyright protection as a novel, so it would be very much like "fan fiction," where you might be able to create something, but cannot publish it.

For more information about the U.S. copyright laws regarding this, visit the U.S. Copyright office's website. Here's a link to the section:

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/fa...tml#permission

This is the beginning of the section dealing with existing copyright permissions. The answer to your specific question is here:

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/fa...se.html#change

It's probably not the answer you wanted to hear. Sorry. But you might consider contacting the owner of the copyright again. If it's a popular game, it's possible that derivative novels or screenplays are already in the works. In that case, your work might be an excellent fit. Good luck!
    Smiles!
    Cathy Clamp
    USA Today bestselling author
    FORBIDDEN, coming 8/15!
    My Website
    Follow me: Twitter
    Now on Facebook! Come friend me!

"[Shapeshifter] fans are about to hit the jackpot as Clamp returns to re-energize this amazing series. Searching for layered plotlines and complex characters? Look no further, as Clamp truly delivers!" -- RT BookReviews

"Cathy Clamp is a visionary author, creating new worlds that are both strong and vividly drawn. Adventure and excitement at its best." -- Yasmine Galenorn, New York Times Bestselling Author

"A struggling community under attack, compelling action, characters struggling with dark secrets ... FORBIDDEN hit all my favorite notes, and I love the rich world of the Sazi!" - Rachel Caine, New York Times bestselling author of The Morganville Vampires