Will Obama be primaried?

i think

• obama WILL be primaried and withdraw from the race.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
mccarthy and RFK chased johnson out of the '68 race; reagan weakened ford in '76 and allowed for the election of carter who, four years later, was sufficiently weakened by teddy kennedy to come full circle to reagan.

so how about it? will the progressive left mount a primary challenge to obama? and, if they do, what damage will it do?

Murmurs of Primary Challenge to Obama

...That a primary is being openly discussed, though, reflects how fully Mr. Obama’s relationship with his party’s liberal activists has ruptured and the considerable confusion on the left over what to do about it.

Just last weekend, three liberal writers made the case for taking on Mr. Obama in 2012. Michael Lerner, longtime editor of Tikkun magazine, argued in The Washington Post that a primary represented a “real way to save the Obama presidency,” by forcing Mr. Obama to move leftward. Robert Kuttner, co-founder of The American Prospect and one of the party’s most scathing populist voices, issued a similar call on The Huffington Post, suggesting Iowa as the ideal incubator.

On the same site, Clarence B. Jones, a one-time confidant of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., suggested that liberals should break with Mr. Obama now, just as Dr. King and others did with Lyndon B. Johnson in 1968. “It is not easy to consider challenging the first African-American to be elected president of the United States,” Mr. Jones wrote. “But, regrettably, I believe the time has come to do this.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/08/us/politics/08bai.html?_r=1

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
Obama will not face a primary challenge in 2012. You heard it here first. :D

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I kind of hope so. Maybe it will wake him up so he'll grow some balls, stop caving to the GOP, and start championing actual Democratic Party agendas.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
It doesn't matter. The republicans will win the White House in 2012

Reaction score
A couple of whack jobs may take a shot, but he will face no viable threat in the primaries.

And his only threat in the general election is Mitt Romney.

But the republicans will probably do something stupid in their primaries and nominate Palin and then they are doomed.

But Romney.

Romney can take down the Obama.

Romney.

Oh yeah.

Should be interesting.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Right now I'm leaning towards no primary. As to if he wins in 2012, I think it depends on a few factors.

1) the eceonomy

2) the GOP nomination. As Billy points out, Romney may help (the GOP). Palin would (IMHO) hurt (Again, the GOP). What if it's someone who isn't as known nationally?

3) Surprise factors. A huge terror attack could hurt or help, depending on if people feel it should have been able to be prevented. Another Gulf Oil Spill moment won't help either.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't matter. The republicans will win the White House in 2012

As weak as he's been, I think Obama will still be able to beat any republican in the race. Thanks to the Tea Party, I think someone nearly unelectable (like along the lines of Sharon Angle) will end up being the Republican candidate.

He will probably be challenged, but will win the primary and the election.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Romney will hurt, too. He is not a strong candidate - he's made a career out of disavowing his previous stands, and that makes him a very easy target.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
we're inside of two years until the election now. given the amount of money it takes to make a run for one of the major party nominations, i don't see it happening.

the far-left might make a token gesture with some type of grassroots call-to-run, but it won't be anything beyond a PR move to try to embarrass obama into moving leftward.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My two-cents is that as the economy strengthens, so will Obama's. Unfortunately, I suspect a second economic crush is destined to happen at the most inopportune time, while both parties are on the primary campaign trail in earnest. My guess is that anybody who sounds remotely conciliatory toward anybody will be persona non grata and not elected. Imho, if Obama makes the primary, it will be by a hair, but if he does, he'll be defeated in the general election. I think the reaction against him as "government as usual" will take its toll. And I don't think a mainstream Republican will make it either. People will be looking to lash out, and choose a hard-nosed candidate far right or far left, probably far right or Libertarian. . . .

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Reaction score
Romney will hurt, too. He is not a strong candidate - he's made a career out of disavowing his previous stands, and that makes him a very easy target.

Obama has been doing that since he took office. Maybe not in words but in actions.

They'll be even on that.

Romney is an very strong candidate. And barring that nuisance Palin somehow squirreling her way in, will get the nomination and will give Obama a helluva run.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
He'll face no serious challenge - who's out there to challenge him? Hillary? Feingold? Dean? They've all said "No". I believe them. So if there is a challenge it will be from a weak candidate who wants to make a statement. Maybe Lyndon LaRouche has one more campaign left in him.

Obama is beatable in 2012- but the GOP needs the right candidate to defeat him. That person, if he or she exists, has not emerged ... yet.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
If the far left is really going to use a primary as an expensive tantrum, it can only hurt them. The farther left Obama swings prior to the election, the more likely he will face (and lose to) a moderate Republican. Some of the Indifferent Center was energized by Obama's first run, but that's not a lock for sure as the course of the country has not sharply improved.

If he aims for left of center, however, the GOP hardline will be more likely to run a far right candidate on the hopes opposition during a down economy and pure vitriol to bring in votes. That strategy has worked in the past, somehow.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
That the GOP won the House might actually help Obama - he'll have somebody to blame.

Of course that assumes he has the political skills to take advantage of the GOP. I don't think he has them - but then the GOP might, as they've done before, screw up.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Never underestimate the ability to the ideological purists of the Far Left to find a way to screw themselves.

I've found it equal parts amusing and entertaining to watch the Professional Left rant and rave over how Obama has sold them down the river. They have threatened to mount a challenge to Obama in the primaries to make plain how deep their discontent goes.

Good fucking luck with that. :rolleyes

Who you got? Dennis the Menace Kucinich? Al Sharpton? Mike Gravel? You can’t beat something with nothing and progressives have nothing to beat Obama in a primary. They can always rally behind Ralph Nader and if you see him taking his one good gray suit to the cleaners you’ll know he’s running his old ass again in 2012.

Politics and political parties are but a vehicle and its their core constituencies that hold the keys. Maybe the Left will be successful in finding a true believer to take on the fool's errand of trying to deny a sitting president his party's nomination in 2012, but that’s little more than a petulant hissy-fit doomed to end in failure. Instead of tilting at windmills the Left needs to get its shit together and start taking back statehouses and Congressional seats from Republicans and replacing them with progressives.

Too many on the Left are thinking about short-term “feel good” posturing while the Right is much more disciplined about long-term goals. Karl Rove never gave up on his efforts to establish a permanent Republican majority. He simply adjusted his methods and in November it paid off like a slot machine. The Left can sneer at the Right as being unsophisticated and unscrupulous, but their tactics WORK.

There are some liberals who haven't lost their damn minds and see the risks involved in the Left trying to undermine Obama and one of them is author Ishmael Reed

Progressives have been urging the president to “man up” in the face of the Republicans. Some want him to be like John Wayne. On horseback. Slapping people left and right.

One progressive commentator played an excerpt from a Harry Truman speech during which Truman screamed about the Republican Party to great applause. He recommended this style to Mr. Obama. If President Obama behaved that way, he’d be dismissed as an angry black militant with a deep hatred of white people. His grade would go from a B- to a D.

What the progressives forget is that black intellectuals have been called “paranoid,” “bitter,” “rowdy,” “angry,” “bullies,” and accused of tirades and diatribes for more than 100 years. Very few of them would have been given a grade above D from most of my teachers.

When these progressives refer to themselves as Mr. Obama’s base, all they see is themselves. They ignore polls showing steadfast support for the president among blacks and Latinos. And now they are whispering about a primary challenge against the president. Brilliant! The kind of suicidal gesture that destroyed Jimmy Carter — and a way to lose the black vote forever.

Unlike white progressives, blacks and Latinos are not used to getting it all. They know how it feels to be unemployed and unable to buy your children Christmas presents. They know when not to shout. The president, the coolest man in the room, who worked among the unemployed in Chicago, knows too.

It's equally telling how the fault lines between Black and White supporters of Obama are beginning to widen. Washington Post columnist Colbert I. King issues a clear warning to the progressive purists.

Make no mistake, however: If the left costs Obama his presidency in 2012, the Democratic Party as a whole will lose out.

Sabotage the nation's first black president and the Democratic Party might as well bid farewell to its most loyal base of supporters: African Americans.

In 2008, the turnout for young black eligible voters was higher than that of young eligible voters of any other racial or ethnic group, according to the Pew Research Center. Consider them gone in future congressional and presidential elections if the left dooms Obama in 2012.

The 2 million more blacks who voted in 2008 than in 2004 because of Barack Obama? Say bye-bye to them, too. As for African American women, the group with the highest voter turnout rate in the 2008 presidential election? Don't even ask.

And why should they stay with a Democratic Party that turns tail on a president who's trying to lead a fractious country through one of roughest patches in its history?

Perhaps those on the purist Democratic left - not one of whom could have won a presidential race in 2008 and not one of whom can make it to the White House in 2012 - refuse to recognize what Obama has accomplished in two short years, even in the face of rock-solid Republican opposition. His supporters know better.

And make no mistake, those Obama supporters - not those faux Washington friends, but the rank and file around the country - will take note of his treatment by the left. And they will, if necessary, repay.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
All I ask is the White House take a few steps to the left in 2012. It'd be nice if Obama does it on his own.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
First, Johnson got "primaried" only because of the debacle of the Vietnam War after 1966. His first two years passed without significant opposition within his own Party. So any analogy to Johnson's Presidency is at best premature.

Second, Obama's approval rating remains higher than either Reagan's or Clinton's at a comparable point of their Presidencies.

Third, the overall voting populace blames Dem "leadership" (note the quotations) in both the Senate and Congress far more than they blame Obama for whatever angst they are having.

Fourth, the economy may not be to everyone's liking, especially the unemployment numbers, but it is unquestionably better today than it was when Obama took the oath of office. He still has the best part of two years to benefit or be dragged down by economic forces. We'll see about that, but it's those two years that will resonate with the public, not the first two. Bill Clinton was definitive proof of that. Justified or not, Presidents either benefit or are damaged by economic winds not under their control. Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan are definitive proof of that.

Fifth, the Democrats currently have no one of sufficient stature to challenge Obama. Hillary Clinton is part of his team, and her time of Presidential consideration seems to me to have passed (some may disagree, I'll acknowledge). When things began to cave in on Lyndon Johnson, he faced opposition from serious well-regarded U.S. Senators within his own Party, first Eugene McCarthy and shortly after, Robert Kennedy. Obama would face exactly who, as a potential candidate from within the U.S. Senate, or as a sitting or former state governor, from within the Democratic Party? Nobody has McCarthy or RFK stature, nobody even within a whiff of that. Barring some as yet unforeseen political calamity for him, I don't see Obama receiving any significant primary challenge in 2012 (which, let's remember, is politically only twelve months away).

Sixth, regards re-election, Republicans are in the same boat as Democrats: No truly exciting candidate above the horizon yet. Romney would probably be the Vegas odds-makers pick right now, but the religious right that controls so much of the Republican voter block hates him almost as much as it hates Obama, for his religious faith and for some of the things like health care reform that he enacted as Governor of Massachusetts. Palin has built such a high negative profile that even major conservative pols and commentators are openly opining that she shouldn't run; she will, because she's a diva all about attention-grabbing, and she'll sink like the Edmund Fitzgerald in the primaries. Huckabee is the most affable, publicly agreeable person the Republicans have, and he has some skills: he can be funny and even sound reasonable when espousing truly unreasonable positions. If he could win the nomination, he might be a formidable opponent for Obama, being the only person who could hold his own in rhetoric and on stage. But his background as an evangelical preacher is a millstone; a lot of the quiet, traditional Republican business base distrusts him badly. Outsiders? Yeah, maybe, but who? Obama made a mark at the Democratic National Convention in 2004, and got an instant surge of support when he announced his candidacy before the Iowa caucuses at the beginning of 2008. Some unknown Republican is going to have to make a mark within the next year to become a significant candidate.

Seventh, the Republican resurgence of 2010, like the similar resurgence in 1994 with Clinton in the White House, may have been the best possible outcome for an Obama 2012 re-election campaign. Depends on what they actually do in the Senate and House. But if I were to bet who will come off looking better for the whole U.S. electorate over the next two years, Barack Obama or John Boehner, I'd bet on the guy whose complexion is darker because of genetics and not tanning beds.

By the way, this is a great poll, with choices well and thoughtfully expressed, and therefore meaningful. I don't much respond to polls here, because so many are just plain frivolous, or designed like push-polls to produce a certain result. My compliments to Haskins, and also my enthusiastic public welcome for his return from hiatus.

So I voted that Obama will not be challenged (seriously) for 2012 nomination within his own Party, and that he will be re-elected. Which makes me curious: How did you vote, William?

Last edited:

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Hell, I would gladly take Ron Paul over the majority of Republican candidates. Even though I disagree with the libertarians on several issues, at least he seems sane. Come to think of it, I'd probably take him over Obama.

For a while it looked like Petraeus was coming in as a likely republican candidate. But that was before his demotion from USCENTCOM to replace McChrystal in the ISAF. A very clever move by the Obama administration to place him in a lose/lose situation, IMHO. Given the media coverage, it wasn't like he could refuse without coming off as a coward who can't make "the hard decisions." ;)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
For a while it looked like Petraeus was coming in as a likely republican candidate

David Petraeus never achieved the status of "likely Republican candidate". Not even close. He might have had some interesting possibilities, might even yet, but these are still nascent at best.

Military leaders have rarely fared well in high U.S. political situations. Since Grant, who was a victorious commander and awful President, the only one who has achieved such success was Eisenhower. Few have even achieved significant traction as an officially-declared candidate. General Wesley Clark got a little buzz in 2008, but his "candidacy" went exactly nowhere. The skills necessary to be a successful major military leader do not translate well to the skills necessary to be a successful major political candidate, let alone be a successful major political leader.

And it's a goddamn good thing, too. I'm in favor of keeping military and political leaders as distant as possible. History is on my side.