AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: A must-read horror list

Quote Originally Posted by EFCollins View Post
    That's the point of horror isn't it? I love to be scared... it jacks me up something fierce.

I'd say start reading some horror. You can't effectively write something new and horrific if you have no idea what's already been done... and done... and done again. It's really important to know the genre you're writing in, imo.
    My novel has horror elements, but honestly, I don't think of it as horror. Probably dark romantic fantasy. I'm hoping to get gift cards to Borders for Christmas since the funds are way too low to buy anything. I want to read Brian Keene. His stuff sounds similar to mine.

Oh and I remembered I've read Stephen King before. It was THE DEAD ZONE, so not very scary, but still. I've also read John Saul. Is he horror? Sorry for the dumb questions.

Way out there in BFE, where no one can hear you screaming....
    Yes, John Saul writes horror. Perhaps not exclusively, but he has some really good horror novels. Hellfire was the first I'd ever read of his and it's a good one. An oldie, but a goodie.

It's easy to have horror elements in other stories... and yet another reason to read widely.
    Last edited by EFCollins; 12-16-2010 at 01:07 AM. Reason: duh--my brain don't work
    Ze name iz... Effie

The 2011 Horror Hounds Celebration and Contest is here!

Quote Originally Posted by sunandshadow View Post
    The problem's not the genre, the problem is that people are idiots.
    I finally got 700 monkeys! Now... all I need is 700 typewriters and a way to live for 700 years.

Blog!

WHO ATE MY SEVERED HANDS????
    Quote Originally Posted by Leukman View Post
    They're in the stew.

I can't remember the name of it, but I read one about a closet filled with spirirts? Maybe... I have the worst memory. If I heard the name I would fly out of this chair and scream lol

Oh yes. I know that one too. It's been a saint's age since I read it, though... and now I can't remember the name either... damn it. It'll bug me till I remember it.
    Ze name iz... Effie

I finally got 700 monkeys! Now... all I need is 700 typewriters and a way to live for 700 years.

Blog!

They're in the stew.

practical experience, FTW donatos's Avatar
    I just thought of some more due to another thread. If you can find affordable reprints or bound collections, then the whole of the main horror lines of EC comics have to be included. These comics altered horror for ever, and imo gave birth to modern horror as we know it.

Thanks Fiona, CounterGem, Soapy and of course Effie.
    Just got my book order. Ahhhh! So excited!!!

practical experience, FTW
    The Town by Bentley Little

Evil, undead Chihuahua SuperModerator Haggis's Avatar
    Another good read from Little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlz View Post
    For those of you that don't know what "haggis" is, I can only say that it's much better not knowing anyway
    Stewie the Chihuey
    featuring the lovely and talented

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments

Great thread! I have an ever-evolving Must Read list, and quite a few of those are on it.

I'd like to add The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde--possibly my favorite book, period. Also, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson.

And I haven't read it yet, but I consider it a Must Read and therefore put it on my own list: The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker.
    BETA-ING: Cave Draconem (YA urban fantasy), 57k words
    EDITING: What The Rain Brought In (horror), 10,000 words
    WIP: Devil's Bridge (space opera), 28k

Blog: http://glitter-n-gore.dreamwidth.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Another good read from Little.
    It was different that's for sure.

Today is your last day. FOTSGreg's Avatar
    A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible things lurk just beneath the surface of reality
    One of Koontz's finer novels is, in my opinion, Twilight Eyes. It's quite dark, very suspenseful, and full of horror bits. I forgot to put it in my original list, but imnsho it deserves a place in the list.

Find my books on Smashwords at https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/fotsgreg
    Find my books on Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/G.W.-Ellis/e/B...805&sr=1-2-ent
    WIPs: Dark Horizons, Hivers, The Bar, Gated

Someone mentioned Saul. I can't get into his writing style.

Quote Originally Posted by elindson View Post
    My novel has horror elements, but honestly, I don't think of it as horror. Probably dark romantic fantasy. I'm hoping to get gift cards to Borders for Christmas since the funds are way too low to buy anything. I want to read Brian Keene. His stuff sounds similar to mine.

Oh and I remembered I've read Stephen King before. It was THE DEAD ZONE, so not very scary, but still. I've also read John Saul. Is he horror? Sorry for the dumb questions.
    If you write dark romantic fantasy then Brian Keene is very very very different. He is straight forward visceral horror. His ideas are great though, like Richard Laymon. Not for the squeamish but brilliant. John Saul was horror for a long time. I don't know what he's been up to lately though.

Quote Originally Posted by brainstorm77 View Post
    Someone mentioned Saul. I can't get into his writing style.
    I feel when I read Saul the way I feel when I read James Paterson, as if the writer's not really there. Like there's a set of plot points and anyone could fill in the gaps between them. Almost like a computer program made the book.

Let us be thankful for the fools Henksbird's Avatar
    I'll second what FOTSGreg said. Phantoms by koontz was fantastic...and then they made the movie

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by donatos View Post
    I feel when I read Saul the way I feel when I read James Paterson, as if the writer's not really there. Like there's a set of plot points and anyone could fill in the gaps between them. Almost like a computer program made the book.
    YES! I totally agree.

He has some bad books. He has a couple of really good ones, though, mostly from more than a decade ago. I can't get into his newer stuff.
    Ze name iz... Effie

Blog!

They're in the stew.

The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy
    The Wolfs Hour

Imagine if James Bond could transforn at will.

A bit tiresome in places. but it averages out pretty well.
    "Anyone who can't stomach a bit of hypothetical grotesquery needs to toughen up, because the way the world's going, we'll all spend our final days scrabbling through a pile of steaming rubble, desperately scavenging for bits of charred baby to eat with our bare hands. And under those circumstances, a dark sense of humour will be a massive advantage."

Today is your last day. FOTSGreg's Avatar
    A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible things lurk just beneath the surface of reality
    McCammon's Stinger is pretty good too, in my opinion. I didn't care all that much for Baal though. I think he wrote a shirt story called Something Came By that was truly great though.

Find my books on Smashwords at https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/fotsgreg
    Find my books on Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/G.W.-Ellis/e/B...805&sr=1-2-ent
    WIPs: Dark Horizons, Hivers, The Bar, Gated

Evil, undead Chihuahua SuperModerator Haggis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmwhtly View Post
    The Wolfs Hour

Imagine if James Bond could transforn at will.

A bit tiresome in places. but it averages out pretty well.
    Quote Originally Posted by FOTSGreg View Post
    McCammon's Stinger is pretty good too, in my opinion. I didn't care all that much for Baal though. I think he wrote a shirt story called Something Came By that was truly great though.
    Jeebus, I love McCammon. And I've never seen either of these books. In fact, it's rare to see any of his stories on the shelves--especially his horror stuff, though in fairness, his ten year or so hiatus might have something to do with that. But I'm going to have to check these titles out if I can find them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlz View Post
    For those of you that don't know what "haggis" is, I can only say that it's much better not knowing anyway
    Stewie the Chihuey
    featuring the lovely and talented

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments

1. Pretty much anything by HP Lovecraft.
    2. Ditto Poe.
    3. 'Salem's Lot, The Shining, It, Gerald's Game and From A Buick 8 by King.And most of his short fiction.
    4. Dracula.
    5. Frankenstein.
    6. Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion.
    7. The Thief of Broken Toys by Tim Lebbon.
    8. The Small Hand by Susan Hill.
    9. 1984. OK, not exactly horror, but it scared the shit out of me.
    10. My stuff. If it ever gets published.

The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy
    Quote Originally Posted by seun View Post
    10. My stuff. If it ever gets published.
    Don't crawl up there, you'll get shit in your beard.
    "Anyone who can't stomach a bit of hypothetical grotesquery needs to toughen up, because the way the world's going, we'll all spend our final days scrabbling through a pile of steaming rubble, desperately scavenging for bits of charred baby to eat with our bare hands. And under those circumstances, a dark sense of humour will be a massive advantage."

Got the hang of it, here tammay's Avatar
    Excellent list!!! I am not a horror writer per se, but I've always been fascinated by classic horror (especially psychological horror) in both novels and films. I actually have a few novel ideas that I think might border on horror/suspense, so perhaps reading some of the books from this list will help motivate me to pursue that direction .

Tam
    Don't you ever dare to make concessions. Then one walks down, down, down, down. - Gertrude Stein

Gnarled Bones And Other Stories: Out November, 2016!

FB: https://www.facebook.com/tammayauthor
    T: https://twitter.com/tammayauthor
    Blog: https://thedreambook.wordpress.com/

all out of fucks to give quicklime's Avatar
    lots of full works.....

Shorts:

The Lake by Ray Bradbury is one of the saddest stories i've ever read, and all of 20 pages

City of Dog by Tom Piccirilli is an incredible bit of world-building

The Boogey Man by stephen King--my sitter read it to me at like 9, took more than a year before I could have a closet partially open
    Last edited by quicklime; 02-06-2011 at 03:22 AM.
    Three words that convey the meaning of six will always look better than twelve...

a' traveling:
    Summer/Fall 2017 Tucson for certain, Seattle and LA likely.

There are some absolutely great stories listed throughout this thread, but sadly I have not read all of the ones suggested. I would like to make a suggestion of Mefisto in Onyx by Harlan Ellison for others to read, for I found it to be rather enthralling.
    "The darkest depths of the oceans will never see the shine of the stars." - Gorandius Tychron in Ascension Of Rebirth

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast