• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Martin Brown Publishers, LLC

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Thank you, thank you!! We finally come to the point of this whole discussion--what was the complaint? If there was no %$#& complaint, why is my companies name here? And if there was a complaint, why wasn't I informed? Professions, honest people, mature adults usually give a company a chance to try to correct the problem. If there was an original complaint (the reason this tread was started in the first place) why wasn't I notified first before anything was posted here? Maybe the AW moderator should answer that question. AW moderator, what was the original complaint?

The title of this forum includes three different queries. Not one.

An author, seeing your name, came here and inquired. Other authors provided their feedback. That feedback may have been a complaint. It may have been praise.

It turned out to be descriptions by those authors of similar behavior by other companies that have, in their experience, been red flags for poor business success or behavior.

There need not be a complaint to wind up mentioned here. That's why this forum includes Bewares and Recommendations and Background Checks.

Last edited:

LindaJeanne

On a small world west of wonder
Registered
Reaction score
No one has claimed that you don't feel bullied, they claim that you aren't being bullied.

They are two different things.

It's human nature to sometimes take things personally that we shouldn't, and to feel bullied because of it. We all feel bullied sometimes, whether we're actually being bullied or not.

When you run a business, you open yourself to scrutiny from potential stakeholders (be they vendors, investors, or customers). Scrutinizing your business is not the same as picking on you, personally, even if it feels that way sometimes.

If you can, take a step back and listen to what people are actually saying, instead of reacting viscerally to how it makes you feel.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
And if there was a complaint, why wasn't I informed?

Why should you have been informed? You said earlier, "Personally I would never come here." If you would never come here, there's no point in informing you each time you're mentioned here, is there?

Besides, there's always Google Alerts, if you need to be aware of any mentions of your name.

Professions, honest people, mature adults usually give a company a chance to try to correct the problem.

Honest people, mature adults and professionals would have answered the question I asked them.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, thank you!! We finally come to the point of this whole discussion--what was the complaint? If there was no %$#& complaint, why is my companies name here? And if there was a complaint, why wasn't I informed? Professions, honest people, mature adults usually give a company a chance to try to correct the problem. If there was an original complaint (the reason this tread was started in the first place) why wasn't I notified first before anything was posted here? Maybe the AW moderator should answer that question. AW moderator, what was the original complaint?

The purpose of this forum is to provide authors with opinions and experiences and so on. There is no reason to alert you of that. Moreover, you were obviously made aware of this thread somehow. Rather than discuss the complaints and issues that have been pointed out, you have claimed you are being victimized and that we're at fault and judging you unfairly. Would that have been different if we'd just emailed you instead?

The fact is, your behavior here doesn't seem to be that of someone who is interested in improving. You haven't really addressed things people have pointed out, and you haven't seemed willing to discuss criticism at all.

Part of the reason that these boards exist is to provide authors with third-party, objective perspectives. If we err on any side, it's going to be the side of caution. It's not a business that we're trusting to send us a product we spent twenty dollars on, or trusting someone to clean our carpets when we don't know how well they'll do it. It's asking us to entrust our work to someone else knowing that if it goes badly, that work is essentially lost, and that it can have long-term consequences for our careers.

Rob Brown

Registered
Reaction score
These last couple of weeks have been very stressful. Please forgive my temper and my outbursts. The end of the year is stressful for most companies, as just about anyone who runs one can attest. If you would forgive me my outbursts and allow me, I would like to begin anew. Would that be possible?

Rob Brown

Registered
Reaction score
In view of your responses to TJ Amberson and Round Two, can you advise specifically what you would do in terms of marketing and promotion?

We promote on our Web site, http://www.mbpubs.com, our blog, http:www.mbpubs.blogspot.com. We, of course, as do many companies today, take advantage of FREE marketing on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Goodreads. We also utilize paid advertising on Facebook, LinkedIn and Google Adwords. Hope this answers your question.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
These last couple of weeks have been very stressful. Please forgive my temper and my outbursts. The end of the year is stressful for most companies, as just about anyone who runs one can attest. If you would forgive me my outbursts and allow me, I would like to begin anew. Would that be possible?

It's never fun to deal with stress. I sincerely hope things ease up for you soon (or already have eased).

Rob Brown

Registered
Reaction score
It's never fun to deal with stress. I sincerely hope things ease up for you soon (or already have eased).

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, stress has eased considerably over the past few days. The weekend helped, LOL. Hope all is well with you and your week.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
We have a new/refurbished Web site--http://www.mbpubs.com. Feedback please. Be gentle!!

Looks okay. I'd lose the Courier font, but that's a personal choice. The links seem to work fine.

A more prominent link to your published books would help. I clicked on some of the covers, leading me to the Amazon pages, but they seem to be lost in the mosaic home page. On the second look, I found the link to the books.

Good job so far. Good luck, Rob.

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
There's no way to be gentle, sorry. That site is a hot mess and screams mid-'90s Geocities design. Several points:

- The main page ... gawds, I'm not sure what I'm looking at. Random quotes and stock photos crowd out your covers and make your books hard to find. It's hideous. You are apparently trying really hard to keep people from buying your books.

- The news links in the top bar are nonsensical and do not present a professional image. I was expecting news about your company and books, not HuffPo and Buzzfeed posts. What is the point?

- Your subs page says you publish nonfiction, yet there's not a single NF book to be found, as far as I've been able to determine.

- Turning your store over to Amazon, complete with Kindle ads, reeks of amateurism.

Sorry if that's not what you wanted, but you did ask.

Rob Brown

Registered
Reaction score
Diversity

Diversity is the quality or state of having many different forms, types, ideas, etc. To be the same, look the same, act the same is, well, boring.

[FONT=&quot]Parents and schools should place great emphasis on the idea that it is all right to be different. Racism and all the other 'isms' grow from primitive tribalism, the instinctive hostility against those of another tribe, race, religion, nationality, class or whatever. You are a lucky child if your parents taught you to accept diversity. ~ Roger Ebert

[/FONT]

Last edited:

Rob Brown

Registered
Reaction score
Different is dangerous

Henry Miller's first novel, Tropic of Cancer, written in 1934, was banned in all English speaking counties for for 27 years. Yet, it has been hailed as one of the greatest novels of the 20th century.

To be different is dangerous. To write about sex while still in the throws of Victorian-ism was considered literary suicide.

To put up a Web site that doesn't copy other publisher's Web sites is dangerous, possibly even suicidal. To write a book that might be controversial is dangerous. To publish controversial books is dangerous--maybe even suicide. Time will tell.

As Henry Miller said in the opening page of his Tropic of Cancer, "I have no money, no resources, no hopes. I am the happiest man alive. A year ago, six months ago, I thought that I was an artist. I no longer think about it. I am."

A few years ago I used to admire the great publishers. I still do. I not only read and loved what they published, I practically inhaled them. As an agent, I saw manuscripts I loved rejected. I vowed one day I would be able to publish books I love. I am the happiest man in the world.

The copy of Tropic of Cancer I have was published in 1961 by Grove Weidenfield, a division of Grove Press. Anyone heard of Grove Press? Do they have a Web site?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
To be different is dangerous.

Indeed.

Dangerous for all of the writers who publish with that "different" publisher, who might well find their books are poorly produced, their sales non-existent, and their books lost to them forever if the "different" publisher collapses and disappears.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
The copy of Tropic of Cancer I have was published in 1961 by Grove Weidenfield, a division of Grove Press. Anyone heard of Grove Press? Do they have a Web site?

You mean these folks? Grove Atlantic

I typed "Grove Weidenfield" into Google and that's the first entry that came up.

So, yes. I imagine folks have heard of them. And yes, they do have a website.

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
There is a difference between being daring and dangerous and cutting-edge, and being incompetent and ridiculous. Your website is the latter.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Once upon a time, I saw a bumper sticker on a car in front of me. I wasn't certain whether to laugh or be appalled, but I understood the cautionary aspect of the message:

"'Different' is special. 'Defective' is not special."

God, yes, diversity is a good thing. There are amazing, edgy books and art that push boundaries, and civilization is the better for it. But the literary equivalents of 'Monkey Jesus' and other examples of Dunning Kruger Syndrome don't really fall into boundary-breaking categories. Unless you count their potential for being unintentionally hilarious.

Please, please think on this. I am not certain your website is saying what you think it's saying.

Rob Brown

Registered
Reaction score
What on earth is wrong with you people? I came on here to respond to JouroWriter's critique of our Web site and, in response, I'm called incompetent by him, defective by Filligree and, because I didn't Google on Grove Press, an insinuation that I'm stupid. Can we be civil here? Please. Thank you.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Rob, if you feel people have been rude or disrespectful, you might find it more effective to use the "report post" button: it looks like an exclamation mark inside a red triangle.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
What on earth is wrong with you people? I came on here to respond to JouroWriter's critique of our Web site and, in response, I'm called incompetent by him, defective by Filligree and, because I didn't Google on Grove Press, an insinuation that I'm stupid. Can we be civil here? Please. Thank you.

Actually, I assumed you were trying to draw a parallel between your small, and mostly unknown press, and Grove Press, on the assumption that it was small/unheard of/no longer existed. A quick Google search made it clear that is not the case.

As I see it, it's one thing for a publisher to take a risk on an author whose work lies somewhere outside the norm. It is a different thing entirely for an author to take a risk with a publisher that lacks a solid track record of producing quality work with consistent sales.